Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bin men - Garden Waste

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My bin day is Friday and it alternates between waste/garden waste and recycling.

Two weeks ago was waste/garden waste week and I only had maybe a quarter of a bin of grass clippings in my garden waste bin so I couldn't be bothered to walk it round to the front of the house. That morning I was sat in my office which is on the side of the house and the bin man walked passed the window, down the drive let him self in through the back gate, round to my kitchen where my bins live. He then took my garden waste bin and emptied it and then put it back.

Haven't mowed the lawn in the last fortnight so again didn't put the garden bin out this morning and the same has just happened (without the emptying bit obviously).

Is this normal? Pretty sure they never used to do it. Is it part of their remit now we have to pay an extra £50 a year for garden waste to be taken?

Not sure if I should be delighted or pissed off.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't know, but the recycling is now a week late and three weeks ago they missed the rubbish completely

Anyone else having problems ?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My bin day is Friday and it alternates between waste/garden waste and recycling.

Two weeks ago was waste/garden waste week and I only had maybe a quarter of a bin of grass clippings in my garden waste bin so I couldn't be bothered to walk it round to the front of the house. That morning I was sat in my office which is on the side of the house and the bin man walked passed the window, down the drive let him self in through the back gate, round to my kitchen where my bins live. He then took my garden waste bin and emptied it and then put it back.

Haven't mowed the lawn in the last fortnight so again didn't put the garden bin out this morning and the same has just happened (without the emptying bit obviously).

Is this normal? Pretty sure they never used to do it. Is it part of their remit now we have to pay an extra £50 a year for garden waste to be taken?

Not sure if I should be delighted or pissed off.

Call me cynical but it maybe that Mr Bin man is testing which back gates are generally open to pass the info on those with criminal intent to rob your shed or garage. We had a problem with an Amazon delivery* driver whose helpfulness was suspicious to say the least followed by a spate of burglaries in the area.

* Poor Amazon driver and bin man maybe completely innocent and just being helpful

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have to admit l'm very glad we come under the auspices of Horsham District Council where waste removal is concerned.

One week the green household waste bin is emptied, and the next it's the turn of the blue recycling, and grown garden waste to be disposed of. Yes ok so we have to pay a modest amount for garden waste disposal, but they turn up regularly every Monday morning. Very efficient indeed.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hmm, I'd be pissed off if he came round the back. Our garden waste bin is in the front garden, but I wouldn't expect them to take it unless it was at least half on the pavement on the front path. Our council says it has to be outside, and I imagine they'd be liable if he damaged our property.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Call me cynical but it maybe that Mr Bin man is testing which back gates are generally open to pass the info on those with criminal intent to rob your shed or garage. We had a problem with an Amazon delivery* driver whose helpfulness was suspicious to say the least followed by a spate of burglaries in the area.

* Poor Amazon driver and bin man maybe completely innocent and just being helpful

Don't have a shed and if he wants to rob my garage he is more than welcome. Other than my golf trolley and my lawn mower (both of which are well used and not worth anything) if he took the rest he'd be doing me a favour. Oh and if he could try and fix the temperamental door I'd be grateful as well.

To be honest I think they are just being over helpful, my road is like gods waiting room and its getting close to Christmas. That said if someone nicks my telly soon I know where I'm looking first.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Hmm, I'd be pissed off if he came round the back. Our garden waste bin is in the front garden, but I wouldn't expect them to take it unless it was at least half on the pavement on the front path. Our council says it has to be outside, and I imagine they'd be liable if he damaged our property.

That's a valid point. Also who would be liable if the bloke got injured on my property??

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don't know, but the recycling is now a week late and three weeks ago they missed the rubbish completely

Anyone else having problems ?

Yup. They missed the rubbish two weeks ago, got it last week and are still yet to collect this week (we have a Wed collection). Our last fortnightly recycling collection is still yet to get the glass.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the Withdean area, we haven’t had rubbish or recycling collected for one whole cycle. Stacking up along the streets.

Presumably yet another industrial dispute?

Garden waste collection is still being collected though.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
That's a valid point. Also who would be liable if the bloke got injured on my property??

Not sure about that. If he was uninvited, I imagine it would be at his own risk?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In the Withdean area, we haven’t had rubbish or recycling collected for one whole cycle. Stacking up along the streets.

Garden waste collection still being collected though.

Boy, yet another reason for being grateful l live where l do. Brighton seems to be plagued with industrial disputes, none here . . . so far.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Garden waste collection is still being collected though.

Wasn't there a problem at Hollingdean, and Veola had to take rubbish to Newhaven?
It might have put the cycles out for a month or so?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was it due to the large fire at the Hollingdean depot about 3 weeks back?

Little in the way of communication from BHCC though.

I did try to search for something I read a couple of days ago, but the Argus site is appalling, and I can't remember where I read it. Google isn't much help either.
You're right, the council should let residents know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did try to search for something I read a couple of days ago, but the Argus site is appalling, and I can't remember where I read it. Google isn't much help either.
You're right, the council should let residents know.

The Argus on general news has been a joke for decades. A vicious circle of a skeleton staff, so little time/resources to cover true news in its area.

Instead deliberately shite-stirring on stuff like Greens v Labour, Corbyn, Vegans, Katie Price, Eubank Jnr .... to clickbait the hateful trolls.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I remember the days when the binman's job was to let themselves into you back garden and put the old aluminium bins on their backs to carry it to the cart.

Now they won't even go beyond your front gate for a wheely bin. Binmen these days don't realise how lucky they are.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Argus on general news has been a joke for decades. A vicious circle of a skeleton staff, so little time/resources to cover true news in its area.

Instead deliberately shite-stirring on stuff like Greens v Labour, Corbyn, Vegans, Katie Price, Eubank Jnr .... to clickbait the hateful trolls.

Not helped presumably by the fact the Argus is now produced in another part of the country . . . Southampton?

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Was it due to the large fire at the Hollingdean depot about 3 weeks back?

Little in the way of communication from BHCC though.

Yes there was a fire and according to City clean website it also says due to a high number of broken down vehicles, says to just leave it out and they will collect as soon as they can, that could mean months, piss poor service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here