Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football is a results business

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We hear this a lot. Often just before a manager is sacked for failing to keep a team in the league or when you've just lost to your biggest rivals.

I tend to agree that football is all about results, but for me, it's not all about "the result".

I get out of my seat watching open, attacking, flair football. Players expressing themselves and daring to take a risk. The result for me is a feeling of exhilaration.

I love that feeling when the ball hits the net and you sometimes hear that "zzzzzttt" noise of the ball on the plastic strings of the net. And this one doesn't even need to be in a football stadium - it could just as easily happen in Hove Park. The result is a buzz.

I treasure the time at a game with my friends - many of whom I have found through football. The result is a sense of belonging.

I embrace both the promotions and the relegations and try to follow Kipling's maxim of "treating them both the same. The result is emotion.

I revel in the songs, the chants and the verbal exchanges typically found only in football grounds. The camaraderie and the pantomime villains. The result is laughter (and often a sore throat).

Football gives me permission to be irresponsible and foolish. It says "go on, be your true self for 90 minutes". The result of that is pure joy.

So yes, football is all about results. And the results for me are rarely about the actual result. Football is a unique gift and the results are exhilaration, a buzz, a sense of belonging, connecting with my emotions, laughter and joy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not results at all costs.

But if you want football to be a part of the entertainment business at some point you are still going to need results.

It's almost as if money is all corrupting, whodda thunk it.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
That’s lovely and all that but now let us get on with destroying our opponents in a relentless battle for more points glory and money!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We hear this a lot. Often just before a manager is sacked for failing to keep a team in the league or when you've just lost to your biggest rivals.

I tend to agree that football is all about results, but for me, it's not all about "the result".

I get out of my seat watching open, attacking, flair football. Players expressing themselves and daring to take a risk. The result for me is a feeling of exhilaration.

I love that feeling when the ball hits the net and you sometimes hear that "zzzzzttt" noise of the ball on the plastic strings of the net. And this one doesn't even need to be in a football stadium - it could just as easily happen in Hove Park. The result is a buzz.

I treasure the time at a game with my friends - many of whom I have found through football. The result is a sense of belonging.

I embrace both the promotions and the relegations and try to follow Kipling's maxim of "treating them both the same. The result is emotion.

I revel in the songs, the chants and the verbal exchanges typically found only in football grounds. The camaraderie and the pantomime villains. The result is laughter (and often a sore throat).

Football gives me permission to be irresponsible and foolish. It says "go on, be your true self for 90 minutes". The result of that is pure joy.

So yes, football is all about results. And the results for me are rarely about the actual result. Football is a unique gift and the results are exhilaration, a buzz, a sense of belonging, connecting with my emotions, laughter and joy.

Having read that, my first thought was - shame about your user name :lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
results for me.

Happy to play long ball ,m be ugly , mix it up if we were smashing the results.....in fact the more people knock us if we were getting results the better.

Given a choice then would prefer to win and look good but ca't say fussed. The feeling heading into town after 3 points is the feeling that its all about for me.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
There has to be a balance.. We don’t want to be the most boring team in the Premiership, but then again do we want to be the most entertaining team in the Championship,or below?

For me, Wednesday’s team selection seemed reckless and the result disappointing. Roll on Saturday.

It is still early days , I believe we have been unlucky with VAR and Connelly came as close as dammit to scoring at Newcastle. Sooner or later the ball will start rolling for us. So let’s applaud attacking play and hope for the right result.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now It’s a sterile pile of crap, I still go though out of habit.

I gather you haven't watched us play in the PL this season, yet. If you think our performances have been sterile pap, learn the words to Blue Moon, buy yourself some Citeh merch, switch on Sky Sports and put your feet up :shrug:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I often thought of this great quote last season.

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Danny Blanchflower

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I gather you haven't watched us play in the PL this season, yet. If you think our performances have been sterile pap, learn the words to Blue Moon, buy yourself some Citeh merch, switch on Sky Sports and put your feet up :shrug:
I was talking about the general atmosphere’s in grounds these days. I didn’t think you were one of those who tells people to go and watch City when they have a moan about something.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suggest that you tell the managers who have been sacked it was because the manner in which the team played rather than because they have struggled to avoid relegation or lost a number of consecutive games. In the case of CH I think it was because we struggled and didnt look to be improving and that barren spell of points from Christmas spelt the end.

I am 50/50 with GP at the moment as we look very good around the centre circle and 10 yds either side, but poor at each end of the pitch but will give him the benefit of doubt, at the moment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was talking about the general atmosphere’s in grounds these days. I didn’t think you were one of those who tells people to go and watch City when they have a moan about something.

Apologies! I thought you were making a specific comment about Patter's Albion. No indeed, I'm not one of those people :lolol: :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

Danny Blanchflower

Superb. This season and last season are polar opposites, points wise no difference thus far.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

I couldn't agree more, I would rather see us relegated playing like we are than staying up playing the embarrassing football of last season. Thing is playing like we are the results will come and I have little doubt that we will stay up. TB is looking forward to greater and better times, and judging by the management so far this will happen. What a time to be in the youth squad.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Danny Blanchflower

Love the qoute, but times have changed since Danny captained Spurs.
Not necessarily for the better.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I couldn't agree more, I would rather see us relegated playing like we are than staying up playing the embarrassing football of last season. Thing is playing like we are the results will come and I have little doubt that we will stay up. TB is looking forward to greater and better times, and judging by the management so far this will happen. What a time to be in the youth squad.

Yep, I am confident the results will come and providing I am correct and we stay up this season, I reckon next season could see us on a par with the likes of Bournemouth, who despite the ya -boo merchants on here, have done fantastically well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here