Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should the League Cup be axed?

Would you rather the competition was axed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Most Albion fans can’t be bothered.

Potter not interested (okay, okay, ‘not prioritising…’).

No European reward from next season....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it has a use, it should probably go back to the rule limiting the number of changes from the league game.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Most Albion fans can’t be bothered.

Potter not interested (okay, okay, ‘not prioritising…’).

No European reward from next season....

Most fans know what the likely team will be, and go in that expectation, and it does give valuable experience to younger players, so that would, for me, seem to be drastic. Perhaps some honesty in advance might be a solution, whereas all clubs have to field a percentage of certain age groups, or whatever, though I imagine the sponsors would not be happy with what they would see as a dilution?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As it's run by the English Football League, just have the 72 compete.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most fans know what the likely team will be, and go in that expectation

Far be it from me to make this go the same way as the other threads, but no one had any inkling that yesterday's team was going to be anything like that.

It was some way from what anyone could reasonably expect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not as long as it’s a 1901 freebie :smile:

Does the Euro qualification really go next year? If so no Premier League team is going to bother. Or should I say they’ll be even less bothered

Graham Potter ahead of his time :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
From next year if you win it, you qualify for the UEFA Conference League - a new 3rd tier European competition. I don't think the £100k prize money from winning the league cup will come close to covering the losses for playing in a tinpot competition like that. France have already seen sense and scrapped their league cup.

That and the fact there's not one Championship club in the last 16 this year - if they can't be bothered with their own EFL cup, what is the point?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe it is replaces the Checkatrade, and the Championship teams and down are free to play whoever they want, and the PL teams enter there U23 teams based on PL2 rules.
That way everyone knows where they stand

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. Still a major trophy that makes it that more unlikely one club can take all 4 major trophies in one season. Even petro dollars FFP cheats can’t manage it.

Dean Smith and others are taking it seriously. Well done them.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I never go to League cup games. I rarely go to FA cup games either unless I think we are going to take it seriously.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it needs a revamp as it is abused by the Premier clubs. Either a rule change to say that they must field 7 players with at least 75% playing record of league games or scrap it and make it an U23s Cup.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
From next year if you win it, you qualify for the UEFA Conference League - a new 3rd tier European competition. I don't think the £100k prize money from winning the league cup will come close to covering the losses for playing in a tinpot competition like that. France have already seen sense and scrapped their league cup.

That and the fact there's not one Championship club in the last 16 this year - if they can't be bothered with their own EFL cup, what is the point?

UEFA should have brought back the cup winners cup or made this a lower nations cup.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I never go to League cup games. I rarely go to FA cup games either unless I think we are going to take it seriously.

What I'm thinking: if the League Cup were scrapped, would clubs take the FA Cup more seriously on account of it being the only major domestic trophy on offer?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not as long as it’s a 1901 freebie :smile:

Does the Euro qualification really go next year? If so no Premier League team is going to bother. Or should I say they’ll be even less bothered

Graham Potter ahead of his time :thumbsup:

I'd support it if they called it the 'Nobody Cares Cup' and were just honest about it.

Look how many Premier League clubs are out already. 9 out of 20 are gone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I voted 'fence' because if we win I'm happy and if we lose I don't care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here