Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter on why he played a young team

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of course, he doesnt know as much as you about the team situation - you know, status of injuries and sicknesses etc - going into the game yesterday, but since he picks the team I thought maybe it could be interesting to read anyway.

Potter was asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity.

He said: “A bit of both, I would say. With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.”

Source: The Argus

Okay - now, since 90% of the people here are complaining about last nights lineup, I'd like the experts in here to clarify some questions:

Scenario one - Graham Potter is telling the truth and there is a lot of injuries and some players have gotten sick

1. Which injured or sick players should have started the game?

2. Which players starting in the Newcastle game should also have started on Villa and then on Saturday against Chelsea? Who are the ones fit enough to play 3 games in one week feeling zero fatigue in the last of those games?

Scenario two - Graham Potter is lying - everyone is perfectly fit and capable - and is just trying to **** you and your club

1. ...why?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Scenario two - Graham Potter is lying - everyone is perfectly fit and capable - and is just trying to **** you and your club

1. ...why?

Because he’s on Palace’s payroll. He’s also responsible for the NSC DDoS attacks too; he even went to the bother of VPNing himself into China. There are no depths to which he won’t stoop to screw us over.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
.This is NSC, of course we know best and always have done :smile:

Win or draw at Chelsea and all will be tickety-boo, lose badly and the inquest will get intense :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course, he doesnt know as much as you about the team situation - you know, status of injuries and sicknesses etc - going into the game yesterday, but since he picks the team I thought maybe it could be interesting to read anyway.

Potter was asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity.

He said: “A bit of both, I would say. With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.”

Okay - now, since 90% of the people here are complaining about last nights lineup, I'd like the experts in here to clarify some questions:

Scenario one - Graham Potter is telling the truth and there is a lot of injuries and some players have gotten sick

2. Which players starting in the Newcastle game should also have started on Villa and then on Saturday against Chelsea? Who are the ones fit enough to play 3 games in one week feeling zero fatigue in the last of those games?

1. ...why?

Scenario 3 Some players were genuinely unavailable. Others were not. A better balance COULD have been found, but we chose to write off the game.

I like Potter. I think he is going to prove a very good appointment for the club, but this line-up went too far. IMO it was a mistake, and to patronise us, by even trying to justify it just compounds the mistake.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Scenario 3 Some players were genuinely unavailable. Others were not. A better balance COULD have been found, but we chose to write off the game.

I like Potter. I think he is going to prove a very good appointment for the club, but this line-up went too far. IMO it was a mistake, and to patronise us, by even trying to justify it just compounds the mistake.

This. Absolutely this. End of thread.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

1. ...why?

Well he said it was a 'bit of both'

That means it could be 99% choice 1% necessity and he wouldn't be lying, its a bit of both.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I'm putting this post from another thread here too as I kind of like it...

It's all very well getting annoyed, but Potter was appointed for the future of the football club, not instant gratification of supporters. This might be the first step to a much more productive Academy system with first team ready players being delivered. The Academy just had a seismic charge ripple through every age group at how a chance for first team football has suddenly overnight dramatically increased.

Spurs, West Ham, Sheff Utd all went out to opposition at least 2 tiers below, with ManUtd needing pens at home. Meanwhile we take on a fairly strong Villa side with our kids, and suddenly we have a much better picture of who may well make it from the development squad. "You don't win anything with kids!"....right?

You could look at it as throwing a game if you're that way in kind. Or you could look at it as a window into the future of how a Potter led Brighton will look. A kid who only 2 years ago was sitting his GCSEs at Hove Park School scored on debut. Wow, you know, that's a bit of a fairytale in itself.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Scenario 4 - Dan Ashworth wants to showcase what is a very talented group of youngsters to get them out on loan earning money for the club. Much in the same way that Chelsea have done in the last 5 or 6 years

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fundamentally it comes down to which game is more important. I could argue either.

On the hand this was a cup competition that with a bit of luck on the draw we could go a long way in, secondly lots of people paid money to watch a proper game not a lot of kids learning their trade. We will probably lose at Chelsea anyway so why even bother to rest players. Thats one argument.

The other is if players are injured/ill then why risk them ahead of an important game at Chelsea that could give us 3 points.

All I would say is if the fixtures were the other way round we would not have played that team v Chelsea.

Personally I'd rather the manager said I don't care about the league cup as much as the league which must be true.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

…..

Sarcy git.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well, I'm putting this post from another thread here too as I kind of like it...

It's all very well getting annoyed, but Potter was appointed for the future of the football club, not instant gratification of supporters. This might be the first step to a much more productive Academy system with first team ready players being delivered. The Academy just had a seismic charge ripple through every age group at how a chance for first team football has suddenly overnight dramatically increased.

Spurs, West Ham, Sheff Utd all went out to opposition at least 2 tiers below, with ManUtd needing pens at home. Meanwhile we take on a fairly strong Villa side with our kids, and suddenly we have a much better picture of who may well make it from the development squad. "You don't win anything with kids!"....right?

You could look at it as throwing a game if you're that way in kind. Or you could look at it as a window into the future of how a Potter led Brighton will look. A kid who only 2 years ago was sitting his GCSEs at Hove Park School scored on debut. Wow, you know, that's a bit of a fairytale in itself.

If we are taking this game and extrapolating it out to see what he delivers in our future, I would say the most likely thing it will be remembered for is being the end of us being able to sell tickets for a Cup game at anything north of a fiver. Why pay £15-20 when you can watch the U23s for free?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

1. ...why?

No need to be so spikey. it's a just football forum - people present exaggerated versions of themselves and their opinions.

Anyway, I suspect there are many more than 10% that, like me, were perfectly happy with the line up.

I almost went, but didn't in the end. If I had, it would have been to get a glimpse of our younger and fringe players playing in a real, senior game to see how they got on. As such I'd have been delighted! Could hardly ask for any more.

Sounds like we did Ok, and a few did very well including a couple we didn't know much about before. So all good.
Would have liked to win as well, but it was hardly critical and we could have fielded a stronger team, with associated risks, and still not won.
Good luck to Villa.
Except for Terry. Terry can f*ck off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we are taking this game and extrapolating it out to see what he delivers in our future, I would say the most likely thing it will be remembered for is being the end of us being able to sell tickets for a Cup game at anything north of a fiver. Why pay £15-20 when you can watch the U23s for free?

It costs £15 to see a Conference South game. And you can't see the U23s for free against other top flight teams. :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No need to be so spikey. it's a just football forum - people present exaggerated versions of themselves and their opinions.

Anyway, I suspect there are many more than 10% that, like me, were perfectly happy with the line up.

I almost went, but didn't in the end. If I had, it would have been to get a glimpse of our younger and fringe players playing in a real, senior game to see how they got on. As such I'd have been delighted! Could hardly ask for any more.

Sounds like we did Ok, and a few did very well including a couple we didn't know much about before. So all good.
Would have liked to win as well, but it was hardly critical and we could have fielded a stronger team, with associated risks, and still not won.
Good luck to Villa.
Except for Terry. Terry can f*ck off.

I did go, and it was. No complaints.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone who uses the word 'gotten' who isn't American is immediately discredited.

Jag ber om ursäkt. Inte alla är helt och hållet fullärda i samtliga språk som talas utanför deras eget hemland. Ibland när jag skriver på engelska så händer det att jag stavar fel, väljer konstiga ord eller inte helt lyckas med grammatiken. Det är någonting jag hoppas förbättra. Tills dess att jag uppnått fullständig perfektion i det engelska språket antar jag att du och jag borde kommunicera på svenska, så att du slipper avfärda mig på språklig basis.

It seems you have some insight to what players who were available and who wasnt, so what lineup would you have gone with.. or are you only speculating?

Yes - I speculate as well, but I think the team would be at least a tiny bit stronger if Potter actually had the possibility.

Like he says in the same article:

“Not really, not with the situation we have got.

“We are just going through that little phase at the moment.

“In the last round we were able to use a bit more experience and it would have been preferable, I suppose, to have had a couple more around.

“A couple were close but it just wasn’t worth the risk, really.”

I believe him, you dont - we are both speculating though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All I would say is if the fixtures were the other way round we would not have played that team v Chelsea.

This is an EXCELLENT and very valid point. Which makes all the statements about injury / illness forcing his hand more than a little glib, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here