Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we break a world-record last night?

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Last Night's Starting XI

Button 27
Duffy 4
Roberts 58
Bong 3
Davies 51
Baulta 28
Jenks 72
Cochrane 50
Gwargis 55
Connolly 44
Richards 45

I feel that last night was an important one for the club. The total of our shirt numbers at the start of the game gives a magnificent total of 437 (mean 39.73).

Surely, we have broken some records with this! Maybe even a world record????

It got even better after the first substitution: Longman (60) on for Connolly (44) added a further 16......total = 453 (mean = 41.18). A terrific swap which sent the average storming past 40!

Then, the swap of Yapi (49) for Duffy (4). A good move from Potter here, which added another 45 taking us up to 498 (mean = 45.27)

I'm surely not the only one who was thinking at this point in the game that the 500 mark was within our grasp!

How disappointing then that the final substitution was Sprong (71) for Jenks (72) giving a final total of 497 (mean = 45.18). I believe that I could hear audible groans from parts of the ground, as most people would have realised that it was a wasted opportunity.

I think that the pressure must have got to Potter at the end. Understandable in a way. Clearly though we should have kept Jenks (72) on and taken off Bong(3) instead! The signs of pressure were already appearing with the previous substitution. Bringing on Yapi (49) was good, but he could have been a bit braver and gone for Radulovic (56) or even O'Hora (53). Lessons to be learned for future cup matches. However, the thing that we should all be encouraged by is that we clearly have the potential to go through the 500 barrier.

I've had a quick look, but can't find anything out about these important records. Is 437 the record for a starting line-up? Is 498 a record for the biggest total on the pitch at any one time? I am sure people on here can help! I am buzzing to out how big this is for the club! How many mistakes have I made? Is it appropriate to quote mean shirt totals to 2 decimal places? Over to you.................

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Adam Hurrey or Nick Harris on Twitter might be ex-stat-cited to know this. They're always full of fine geekery (last week, they posted that James Milner had spent exactly half his life as a Premiership footballer...). You've amused me mightily!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Number of debuts can't be that far off

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Last Night's Starting XI

Button 27
Duffy 4
Roberts 58
Bong 3
Davies 51
Baulta 28
Jenks 72
Cochrane 50
Gwargis 55
Connolly 44
Richards 45

I feel that last night was an important one for the club. The total of our shirt numbers at the start of the game gives a magnificent total of 437 (mean 39.73).

Surely, we have broken some records with this! Maybe even a world record????

It got even better after the first substitution: Longman (60) on for Connolly (44) added a further 16......total = 453 (mean = 41.18). A terrific swap which sent the average storming past 40!

Then, the swap of Yapi (49) for Duffy (4). A good move from Potter here, which added another 45 taking us up to 498 (mean = 45.27)

I'm surely not the only one who was thinking at this point in the game that the 500 mark was within our grasp!

How disappointing then that the final substitution was Sprong (71) for Jenks (72) giving a final total of 497 (mean = 45.18). I believe that I could hear audible groans from parts of the ground, as most people would have realised that it was a wasted opportunity.

I think that the pressure must have got to Potter at the end. Understandable in a way. Clearly though we should have kept Jenks (72) on and taken off Bong(3) instead! The signs of pressure were already appearing with the previous substitution. Bringing on Yapi (49) was good, but he could have been a bit braver and gone for Radulovic (56) or even O'Hora (53). Lessons to be learned for future cup matches. However, the thing that we should all be encouraged by is that we clearly have the potential to go through the 500 barrier.

I've had a quick look, but can't find anything out about these important records. Is 437 the record for a starting line-up? Is 498 a record for the biggest total on the pitch at any one time? I am sure people on here can help! I am buzzing to out how big this is for the club! How many mistakes have I made? Is it appropriate to quote mean shirt totals to 2 decimal places? Over to you.................

You most certainly were not the only one!!

I was sure the average would get to 50 after Duffy was replaced.
Very disappointed with the final substitution.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
You most certainly were not the only one!!

I was sure the average would get to 50 after Duffy was replaced.
Very disappointed with the final substitution.

I share your disappointment. Still, there’s always the FA Cup third round!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Getting away with throwing a game

It's all very well getting annoyed, but Potter was appointed for the future of the football club, not instant gratification of supporters. This might be the first step to a much more productive Academy system with first team ready players being delivered. The Academy just had a seismic charge ripple through every age group at how a chance for first team football has suddenly overnight dramatically increased.

Spurs, West Ham, Sheff Utd all went out to opposition at least 2 tiers below, with ManUtd needing pens at home. Meanwhile we take on a fairly strong Villa side with our kids, and suddenly we have a much better picture of who may well make it from the development squad. "You don't win anything with kids!"....right?

You could look at it as throwing a game if you're that way in kind. Or you could look at it as a window into the future of how a Potter led Brighton will look. A kid who only 2 years ago was sitting his GCSEs at Hove Park School scored on debut. Wow, you know, that's a bit of a fairytale in itself.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

What an indictment on how bored you were with the game. I'm a numbers man all day long, but blimey, I've lost all interest in the game if that is going through my head.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What an indictment on how bored you were with the game. I'm a numbers man all day long, but blimey, I've lost all interest in the game if that is going through my head.

I just wonder if possibly the OP is being, um, y’know, a touch sarcastic...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just wonder if possibly the OP is being, um, y’know, a touch sarcastic...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet, you had no sense of a smirk on my face as I typed my response.

Ok, as you were.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's all very well getting annoyed, but Potter was appointed for the future of the football club, not instant gratification of supporters. This might be the first step to a much more productive Academy system with first team ready players being delivered. The Academy just had a seismic charge ripple through every age group at how a chance for first team football has suddenly overnight dramatically increased.

Spurs, West Ham, Sheff Utd all went out to opposition at least 2 tiers below, with ManUtd needing pens at home. Meanwhile we take on a fairly strong Villa side with our kids, and suddenly we have a much better picture of who may well make it from the development squad. "You don't win anything with kids!"....right?

You could look at it as throwing a game if you're that way in kind. Or you could look at it as a window into the future of how a Potter led Brighton will look. A kid who only 2 years ago was sitting his GCSEs at Hove Park School scored on debut. Wow, you know, that's a bit of a fairytale in itself.

Yeah I don't disagree with this at all.
I left the ground encouraged by some of our kids and thought the club has probably increased all of their potential sell on value by playing them tonight.

I would be much more disappointed being a West Ham fan, having travelled to see a reasonably strong side get humped by Oxford.. Their board must be a wonderful place today!

BUT

I had an expectation of:

• maybe 3 or 4 Prem squad players starting
  • many of the Under 23s starting/bench
  • any stand out Under 18s on the bench
  • a further 3 or 4 Prem squad/ returning from injury players available for a few minutes at the end.

I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation, when it's free to go and see most under 23 games.

I was pissed off last night during the first half, purely because I felt we were not entering the game with a chance of winning it.
A home draw, In the 3rd round of the league cup.
We deserved a little bit more than what we were given.
IMO

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Academy just had a seismic charge ripple through every age group at how a chance for first team football has suddenly overnight dramatically increased.
Except that we're now out of the competition so we can't do it again. Wouldn't it be better to have a load of senior players, whilst giving opportunities to a few of the best performing players from the academy, with the hope that you get through and have the chance to do the same again in a month (or whatever it is)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here