Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Is Sussex a county?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
WIKI says:

Sussex, from the Old English Sūþsēaxe (South Saxons), is a historic county in South East England corresponding roughly in area to the ancient Kingdom of Sussex. It is bounded to the west by Hampshire, north by Surrey, northeast by Kent, south by the English Channel, and divided for many purposes into the ceremonial counties of West Sussex and East Sussex

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
This is one area where I used to profoundly disagree with the late and much-missed Ed Bassford (Lord Bracknell). He could quote chapter and verse about how the various local government acts had established East and West Sussex as totally separate entities, and yes administratively we are, but socially and culturally we are one county, proud member of the Saxon Heptarchy, indivisible under God with Banofee pie and trug baskets for all.

"Wunt be druv"

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
WIKI says:

Sussex, from the Old English Sūþsēaxe (South Saxons), is a historic county in South East England corresponding roughly in area to the ancient Kingdom of Sussex. It is bounded to the west by Hampshire, north by Surrey, northeast by Kent, south by the English Channel, and divided for many purposes into the ceremonial counties of West Sussex and East Sussex

Essex, from memory is Eastseaxe (or something like) which means the East Saxons. A tribe known for their bright orange war paint and ludicrously expensive blinged-up war chariots.

I made that up...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
WIKI says:

Ceremonial. That's the best way to describe why east and west Sussex exists. We're the ancient kingdom of Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Essex, from memory is Eastseaxe (or something like) which means the East Saxons. A tribe known for their bright orange war paint and ludicrously expensive blinged-up war chariots.

I made that up...

Of course you did. Chariots? The Saxons?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is one area where I used to profoundly disagree with the late and much-missed Ed Bassford (Lord Bracknell). He could quote chapter and verse about how the various local government acts had established East and West Sussex as totally separate entities, and yes administratively we are, but socially and culturally we are one county, proud member of the Saxon Heptarchy, indivisible under God with Banofee pie and trug baskets for all.

"Wunt be druv"

Don't forget Twittens. :clap2:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

"Wunt be druv"

The same argument could be used about Yorkshire, which is covered by three separate administrations and up to 1974 had ' Ridings ' ( x 3 ) and enjoys more than one county town. Like Sussex, though, it only has one cricket team.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
One County. But West is best.

:jester:

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Of course you did. Chariots? The Saxons?

ahead of the times Essex folk 1700T_front.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When you write down your address, do you put East/West Sussex or just Sussex?

Me, I’m a Sussex man, born in the East lived most of my life in the West. The division of Sussex by the charlatans in Westminster, is just a ploy to keep the great county of Sussex from dominating the lesser counties of this sceptered Isle.

You be glad you be Sussex born.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When you write down your address, do you put East/West Sussex or just Sussex?

Me, I’m a Sussex man, born in the East lived most of my life in the West. The division of Sussex by the charlatans in Westminster, is just a ploy to keep the great county of Sussex from dominating the lesser counties of this sceptered Isle.

You be glad you be Sussex born.

I don't write anything for the county, because the postal system works off the postcode so it saves time and ink :moo:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm from West Sussex

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

"Wunt be druv"

Beautifully put sir.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here