Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Haydon Roberts

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I'm also hoping to hear how Connolly played ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. Confident player, looked good.

Overall quite a good performance. Felt for the #50 as he had a bit of mare.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He was OK, some good moments - probably should have done better with a chance of his or two and of course hit the bar. He was a bit isolated at times though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Considering how isolated he was, he did pretty well, on his own against a £50m back three. Two real chances, once using impressive pace to round Hause, before his right foot shot was deflected just over the bar. Then a searing left foot shot from the opposite side, beat the keeper, and cannoned down off the underside of the bar.

8/10

Aside from Roberts, the other real stand out - first half especially - was Teddy Jenks (also only 17). :bowdown:

gordycom

Mar 17, 2013
Brighton
Haydon Roberts was in the same school year as my son, we went yesterday hoping he would play. To see him have such a great game, score a goal in front of the North stand , and get man of the match was excellent. First thing my son said this morning was that he was glad Roberts played well. Great stuff. Personally I also think Connolly is absolutely brilliant!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh my. :eek:

What a player that young man could be. Incredible debut.

He was so assured and hard too. I was sat in the south end of the West Lower and, from there, the best moment was when we played out from the back and their high press descended on him. From memory, he calmly dribbled round two players, and found a free midfielder in plenty of space near the half-way line to launch a (failed) counter-attack.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He was OK, some good moments - probably should have done better with a chance of his or two and of course hit the bar. He was a bit isolated at times though

I think you're being harsh. Beyond his movement, quick feet, quick thinking, and ability to get a shot in quickly with power despite little back lift which I was well aware of, there were other features that stood out and were far clearer from close up. First, he's exceptionally quick, and out-paced their expensive CBs on more than one occasion. Second, he's got an excellent touch, which was most in evidence during his hold-up play when pressured by older, stronger, bigger CBs. And finally, his decision-making was extremely promising, he managed to size up precisely what options were open to him (whether to get into a position to shoot, whether to win a free kick, how to use his body when receiving the ball).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He looks an immense prospect and with two other centre backs out on loan I can see us shifting one central defender shortly

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you're being harsh. Beyond his movement, quick feet, quick thinking, and ability to get a shot in quickly with power despite little back lift which I was well aware of, there were other features that stood out and were far clearer from close up. First, he's exceptionally quick, and out-paced their expensive CBs on more than one occasion. Second, he's got an excellent touch, which was most in evidence during his hold-up play when pressured by older, stronger, bigger CBs. And finally, his decision-making was extremely promising, he managed to size up precisely what options were open to him (whether to get into a position to shoot, whether to win a free kick, how to use his body when receiving the ball).

And finally he is also learning his trade dealing with defender challenges and being taught by a master craftsman

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He looks an immense prospect and with two other centre backs out on loan I can see us shifting one central defender shortly

I would suspect if I was Shane Duffy's agent I would be starting to tout my client around to see what opportunities there are. He looks like he is going to be the odd man out when White and Clarke make their returns from loan. I would expect Balogun may also be on his way.

Roberts a spell out on loan at a Championship club will do wonders.

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Nice to see another local Brighton lad get a decent shot! Wonder where he went to school?

In any case, the pipeline of good CB's we have on the books keeps on producing!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I still think there is a place for him even though their second goal was mainly down to him. We need someone with his brute strength at times and he is still our best aerial threat .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would suspect if I was Shane Duffy's agent I would be starting to tout my client around to see what opportunities there are. He looks like he is going to be the odd man out when White and Clarke make their returns from loan. I would expect Balogun may also be on his way.

Roberts a spell out on loan at a Championship club will do wonders.

Yup. Agree with all that. From early on, I felt that Potterball would suit Duffy the least, whereas CH's deep block strategy suited him best.

theboybilly

I've been singing Roberts' praises for some time now. Last night, before the game, Shane Duffy gave him lots of encouragement in the warm up putting a reassuring arm around the young lads shoulder. Once the game started I thought it might be too early a debut but he, like all the others, stuck to the task and got better as the game wore on. I was so pleased for Haydon, Teddy Jenks and the rest and Haydon's goal was the icing on the cake. A good night all round apart from the result

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here