Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Shades (Royal Pav Tav) closing down

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17923475.royal-pavilion-tavern-brighton-announces-closure/

The Royal Pavilion is shutting, making way for apartments.

Starting in 1982 for me (when underage) Shades was always the first port of call in a pub crawl with mates ending in West Street / seafront nightclubs. The first 4 pints downed very quickly in Shades, before moving on westwards. Just 90 pence a pint of lager or snakebite in 1982!

We started off in Shades literally 100’s of times, stretching into the 90’s.

In the 80’s (before a refit) Shades was the wine bar part in a dark corner, selling cheap wines such as Muscadet and Lambrusco, as well as ice cold bottled Tuborg and Grolsch.

Nostalgia.

A shame really.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17923475.royal-pavilion-tavern-brighton-announces-closure/

Starting in 1982 for me (when underage) Shades was always the first port of call in a pub crawl with mates ending in West Street / seafront nightclubs. The first 4 pints downed very quickly in Shades, before moving on westwards. Just 90 pence a pint of lager or snakebite in 1982!

In the 80’s (before a refit) Shades was the wine bar part in a dark corner, selling cheap wines such as Muscadet and Lambrusco, as well as ice cold bottled Tuborg and Grolsch.

Nostalgia.

A shame really.

Crikey. I worked behind the bar there from June 1979 till Feb 1980. Had my encounter with Lawro ("ere chief, got change for the cigarette machine") there. Shared bar duties with John (Aden) Gillett (funny guy). Happy days! And blimey did we tuck it away - 3 pints at lunchtime and another 5 in the evening. For the protein, obviously.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Crikey. I worked behind the bar there from June 1979 till Feb 1980. Had my encounter with Lawro ("ere chief, got change for the cigarette machine") there. Shared bar duties with John (Aden) Gillett (funny guy). Happy days! And blimey did we tuck it away - 3 pints at lunchtime and another 5 in the evening. For the protein, obviously.

I recall you saying that. I just missed you.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Nostalgia.

A shame really.

Sends shivers down my spine. I was so ill after a few of those once.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We used to go to/do nights there in the 90's Mark from our record company and others DJing, mostly the same crowd as the freebut/Concorde/Richmond alThough detailed memory is vague from the 90's

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Started going there around 1977 ish. Only decent pub at the time that served a decent pint of Harvey’s.

We used to go to the pictures on a Sunday afternoon, Mrs and I, then afterwards, down to the wine bar for a glass of wine in the dark and a pate and huge french bread.

Had my engagement party from work at the shades bar with an American colleague buying me a huge platter of eggs, chips, sausages, mushrooms etc and he introduced me to American bourbon.

Used to meet in there before getting the train to hove station and then on to the goldstone. Really sad that it is going!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Used to go there with the boys from Burgess Hill, always a good stopping off point during a night out in town!

Is it my beer addled memory, or back then, did they sell pints of slops, basically the overruns from pints of real ale?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

You must've served me plenty of times too. Shades Friday and Saturday night, main bar on Sunday night with Heineken Export 5% (very rare back then) and the odd sojourn into the wine bar on the side with a lady. What a brilliant pub the Pav Tav was back then - so many groups started their nights out at the PT.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Nostalgia.

A shame really.

Our lot also started out in Shades on a Saturday in the late seventies.
Did the normal pub crawl around the Lanes where a pint of lager was 35p or 25p a pint of mild fffsake!
Mind you I was earning £10 quid a week at Bevan Funnell in Newhaven then.
I'm 63 now so a long bloody time ago.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You must've served me plenty of times too. Shades Friday and Saturday night, main bar on Sunday night with Heineken Export 5% (very rare back then) and the odd sojourn into the wine bar on the side with a lady. What a brilliant pub the Pav Tav was back then - so many groups started their nights out at the PT.

Just a step away after hopping off buses at Old Steine or Pool Valley.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Started going there around 1977 ish. Only decent pub at the time that served a decent pint of Harvey’s.

We used to go to the pictures on a Sunday afternoon, Mrs and I, then afterwards, down to the wine bar for a glass of wine in the dark and a pate and huge french bread.

Had my engagement party from work at the shades bar with an American colleague buying me a huge platter of eggs, chips, sausages, mushrooms etc and he introduced me to American bourbon.

Used to meet in there before getting the train to hove station and then on to the goldstone. Really sad that it is going!

American bourbon eh?, are there many others?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Was thrown out a few times

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Our lot also started out in Shades on a Saturday in the late seventies.
Did the normal pub crawl around the Lanes where a pint of lager was 35p or 25p a pint of mild fffsake!
Mind you I was earning £10 quid a week at Bevan Funnell in Newhaven then.
I'm 63 now so a long bloody time ago.
Friday and Saturday night at Shades was the start of our pub crawl in the 70s and 80s. Always the front end, not the dark bit at the back. Unless with a lady friend. If you missed the start just hop along to the next pub to meet your mates.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Friday and Saturday night at Shades was the start of our pub crawl in the 70s and 80s. Always the front end, not the dark bit at the back. Unless with a lady friend. If you missed the start just hop along to the next pub to meet your mates.

Variously; The Golden Fleece, The Sussex, Pump House, Deryk Carver, Druids Head, Frock & Jacket, etc, etc.

Sometimes a detour to Fagan’s Wine Bar at the bottom of East Street in the mid 80’s.

All adding up to a gallon or more of liquor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here