Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory law breakers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Related-ish can anyone help me out what normally happens during conference season?

BBC covering this, and stating that PMQs would normally be tomorrow at noon, which it would, but Jeremy Corbyn is due on stage in Brighton at exactly the same time.

If proroguing hadn't taken place, how "present" would Labour have been in Parliament Mon - Wed this week, and what would have happened at PMQ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Related-ish can anyone help me out what normally happens during conference season?

BBC covering this, and stating that PMQs would normally be tomorrow at noon, which it would, but Jeremy Corbyn is due on stage in Brighton at exactly the same time.

If proroguing hadn't taken place, how "present" would Labour have been in Parliament Mon - Wed this week, and what would have happened at PMQ?

Parliament is normally prorogued for conference season (or most of it, as many parties aren't in parliament, or have limited parliamentary representation). It's the extension beyond that which is unusual.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
press "what do you think of this ruling that your proroguing of Parliament was unlawful"
BJ "I didn't prorogue Parliament"
press "what do you mean?"
BJ "it's not been prorogued, the MPs just haven't been bothering to turn up"
press "but you sent privvy councillors to meet the Queen who prorogued Parliament on your behalf"
BJ "oh that...that...erm....blur....that wasn't real"
press "are you okay Mr Johnson?"
BJ "....bluthering....erm...hiccup...yep...there's no press here.... right I'm off to award a grant to a girl who loves a BJ"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Parliament is normally prorogued for conference season (or most of it, as many parties aren't in parliament, or have limited parliamentary representation). It's the extension beyond that which is unusual.

So the clamours to come back immediately, ie tomorrow, is utter bollocks as they wouldn't ordinarily be in anyway?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Parliament would be in recess normally ( not prorogued )...

but this is not compulsory and they could have voted to not have a recess for the conferences.

So Parliament could have gone on as normal with speakers "popping along" to their conferences when needed to speak etc.

Also Parliamentary business goes on in recess as normal, just not debates.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So the clamours to come back immediately, ie tomorrow, is utter bollocks as they wouldn't ordinarily be in anyway?

Not ordinarily, but not necessarily not.

Proroguing prevented Parliament making the decision to sit.

Edit: And not just Parliament, but select committees etc. too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So basically, all the MP's are usually on their piss-up fortnight at the moment following their long summer holidays and instead of getting another couple of weeks off they will have to come back to work early. And they get paid a fortune to do it. Love a job like that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

No, because our PM has just been ruled to have broken the law. As the judgment says, it's parliament that makes the law, and the fact that they've already been prevented from sitting for several days already needs to be considered (alongside Boris Bannon's position).
Our PM has broken the law. Just reflect on that. And I'd ask you to identify the last time such a ruling has been made.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

Parliament goes into recess for a few weeks for the party conference season. This means the Commons and Lords don't sit, but other Parliamentary business (eg committees, questions to ministers, civil servant stuffs) continues. Prorogation shuts up shop completely. That's a big difference and a major chunk of the ruling is about that. I expect the Commons itself to reconvene Monday week (after Tory conference). I also expect Boris to resign before today is out. We shall see...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So basically, all the MP's are usually on their piss-up fortnight at the moment following their long summer holidays and instead of getting another couple of weeks off they will have to come back to work early. And they get paid a fortune to do it. Love a job like that.

Yes, but at the moment not many jobs you can get voted out of every 2 years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What we have been is the country's constitutional framework holding firm against a dangerous executive.

This isn't about Brexit, its about abuse of power.

Really the PM should now resign.....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What we have been is the country's constitutional framework holding firm against a dangerous executive.

This isn't about Brexit, its about abuse of power.

Really the PM should now resign.....

Democratic sovereignty no less! There is an irony somewhere...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do seem to remember, in the dim and distant past, some reserve team action in parliament.

Dunno if it was during conference season or holidays but it certainly wasn't during a constitutional and national crisis.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes, but at the moment not many jobs you can get voted out of every 2 years.

That's true although the aren't many jobs where you can work for one company and decide one morning you don't like the way the bosses are running it so you start working for a main competitor without having to apply or be interviewed.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Have you any idea how long it takes to fill in a load of hoax expenses forms . . . . it's not just a 9-5 job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here