Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 50 years ago today: Albion 2 Wolves 3 (FLC 3rd Round)

SO CLOSE, SO VERY VERY CLOSE -
BUT WOLVES STEAL THE FINAL GLORY​
I remember this headline better than the name of the weekly Brighton and Hove newspaper that carried it. We had dispatched Portsmouth 1-0 and Birmingham City 2-0, both at the GG and both a division above us at the time. We met our match in First Division Wolves, although we led 2-1 at the break. Can't remember the attendance but I'm sure it was at least 29,000.

DavePage

Well lots of people were there!

Maybe tell us what you remember?

Interesting reply, lets see 12 years old very excited, enjoyed the game was behind the South stand goal, was taken by my Grandmothers best friend Mrs Frewin. Hopefully that's not too personal, try asking one of the other 32,538 excluding the match day staff. Mrs Frewin no longer available for comment but for memory she enjoyed the game .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
First ever game. Eight and a half years old. My old man had got some seats in the west stand. I remember that the Goldstone seemed massive and majestic. I remember that Eddie Spearritt was really fast. I remember the smoke swirling around the floodlights and, most of all, the huge crowd/noise. I remember asking my dad if I could get a Brighton shirt (not stripes). That was the night I became aware of my home town club. The real love affair only blossomed in the 1972 season after we’d been promoted and got passionate with Cloughie & Taylor and was fully consummated by Mullers/Wardy/Nobby etc.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Those days seem etched in my memory. Eddie Spearritt header to dispatch Birmingham in the previous round. Hugh Curran with a huge high lob over the keeper which bounced almost on the goal line and up over the bar to safety. The best days of my life

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Watched from the North Stand. Hoped to see Derek Dougan but he didn't play. As I remember it wolves 3rd goal had been very soft. Loved Eddie Spearitt

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My first 30k crowd. Great night.
I remember queuing up for tickets before the Barrow home game. We got 20k for that.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
That was a great night for a 13-year-old fan.

At that time players would drop down the leagues towards the end of their careers and so we had Alex Dawson, Nobby Lawton and Willie Bell playing for us. Add good D3 players like Kit Napier, Norman Gall and Eddie Spearritt and that made a good side.

Recall their 'keeper made an excellent save when we were 2-1 up and Wolves came on strong at the end.

50 years...oh gawd where did they go?!!

el punal

I remember this headline better than the name of the weekly Brighton and Hove newspaper that carried it. We had dispatched Portsmouth 1-0 and Birmingham City 2-0, both at the GG and both a division above us at the time. We met our match in First Division Wolves, although we led 2-1 at the break. Can't remember the attendance but I'm sure it was at least 29,000.

32,539!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first ever evening game and also my first time travelling to the match by train.

I couldn't believe how different the atmosphere was from Saturday matches. Everything about it, the floodlights, the size of the crowd, the chill in the air all added up. It was like entering a different world.

And, of course, Brighton came so close to pulling off an amazing win ... a situation that was going to be repeated many times in the future.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't at the game as preceded my support by about 7 years however, you've just got to love our record against them, played 32 and only lost 6 times with two of them being in the league cup. And, after 8 attempts, they've only ever taken 1 pt off us in the top flight. Can't think of any other team with their history that we have dominated so much. Long may it continue.

el punal

I, too, woz there. Our League Cup trilogy of that season was compelling - first off, Portsmouth at home before 20,000+, beat them 1-0 (?). Next, bye-bye Brum 2-0, before 24,000, again at the Goldstone. Then, Wolves came a-calling before 32,500. At the time they were a decent Div.1 outfit. Albion played some good stuff but in the end class told.

What I remember most in all three matches was how great the Goldstone was for evening matches. The atmosphere seemed to be greater than Saturday afternoon games. The pitch looked immaculate (well it was September!), and under the lights our blue shirts with white sleeves contrasted beautifully with Wolves’ shiny all gold kit. Lazy, hazy memories eh! :cheers:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
What I remember mostly was the volume of the crowd that night

Watched from the North Stand. Hoped to see Derek Dougan but he didn't play. As I remember it wolves 3rd goal had been very soft. Loved Eddie Spearitt

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

I was there and Derek Dougan was sitting in the west stand just in front of me. Great player but Wolves didn't need him that night.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Even had 2 programmes, the legit and a 'moody'.

wol1.JPG

wol2.JPG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Saw all three matches ...Wolves game was a cracker ...in south stand ..so rammed had to sit pitchside

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just turned 9 and my first evening match having been to a few Saturdays the previous two seasons.

As above, the floodlights, biggest and loudest crowd I had ever seen, the colours of the shirts under the lights and the pipesmoke. I was sitting on the wall at front of North stand, Alex Dawson thundering towards us as frightening as anything I has ever seen in my life.

A lot of my early memories of the Albion aren't that clear but that one was.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I, too, woz there. Our League Cup trilogy of that season was compelling - first off, Portsmouth at home before 20,000+, beat them 1-0 (?). Next, bye-bye Brum 2-0, before 24,000, again at the Goldstone. Then, Wolves came a-calling before 32,500. At the time they were a decent Div.1 outfit. Albion played some good stuff but in the end class told.

What I remember most in all three matches was how great the Goldstone was for evening matches. The atmosphere seemed to be greater than Saturday afternoon games. The pitch looked immaculate (well it was September!), and under the lights our blue shirts with white sleeves contrasted beautifully with Wolves’ shiny all gold kit. Lazy, hazy memories eh! :cheers:

Black shorts as I remember :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here