Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On BBC2 now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So, should we?
It's a question of should we have bombed it whilst it was operational, killing thousands of innocent people but potentially saving thousands more

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
On a similar vein, saw this recently.

Harrowing stuff.

81bByeiKOeL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
They recently reopened The Holocaust section at the IWM London after a summer of expanding it and revamping it, their recommended time to do that 4th floor is 1.5 hours, I was in there for over 2. Well worth a look (just ignore the foreign students filming themselves doing Nazi salutes by the 3rd Reich regalia).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies, I didn't mean this thread to look like clickbait. I was keen to get back to the programme. Rudi Vrba, one of the two escapees who told the world what was going on, ended up in Vancouver, in the department where I did my PhD. An extraordinary man, so free from bitterness . . . . And yet....this from his Wikipedia entry: "Only now did I understand that this was the same man who lay quiet and motionless for three days in the hollow pile of lumber while Auschwitz was on maximum alert, only a few yards from the armed SS men and their dogs combing the area so thoroughly. If he could do that, then he certainly could also don the mask of a professor and manage everyday conversation with his colleagues in Vancouver, Canada, that paradise land that is never fully appreciated by its own citizens, a people without the slightest notion of the planet Auschwitz".

Anyway, the programme reminded me of him and I thought I'd mention it. Rudu didn't endear himself with authorities anywhere. His view was that far too many people did nothing at the time, including fellow Jews, for a range of selfish or cowardly reasons. He left Israel because it sickened him to be working with the same people who had colluded with the betrayal.

I remember him, dapper in his suit, smoking a cigarette in an elegant holder and, in the summer, the crude prison camp tattoo on his arm visible. He gave me a good piece of advice one time: "Never explain".

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here