Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England Tour Parties

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I wouldn't get too excited, its a series which isn't part of the World Test Championship. You will have noticed that Anderson is omitted so that should really give you a big clue as to how the selectors are looking at this series

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I wouldn't get too excited, its a series which isn't part of the World Test Championship. You will have noticed that Anderson is omitted so that should really give you a big clue as to how the selectors are looking at this series

Even if it was a Test Championship series Anderson would have been touch and go. Limited time and very few matches to prove his fitness ahead of the NZ series. He'll probably be back for SA next spring. Michael Vaughan was suggesting that Broad and Anderson may well be rotated in order to prolong their careers, with only one playing each series, and the other being rested.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good to see they have brought in some new blood Sibley, Crawley Parkinson and Mahmood and dropped Baistow after a poor summer. Positive action

Agree with you. We need to try some new young batsmen. Hope they make the 11 and get time to settle in

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Foakes is probably the best wicketkeeper in the country but had an average season with the bat. If Buttler gets injured I think Pope will cover, he has kept for The Rey.

Pope will be the substitute option. But I still don't understand Foakes not being there. I know I keep banging on about it but you should always play your best keeper. The position is not an after thought.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pope will be the substitute option. But I still don't understand Foakes not being there. I know I keep banging on about it but you should always play your best keeper. The position is not an after thought.

Completely agree. If he's the best keeper in the country he should be in the side, poor season with the bat or not. We'd always prefer someone who'll add 20 odd runs on average but concede 40 on average more runs through byes and dropped catches. Frustrating

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

I agree, Foakes goes on your to Asia on spinning wickets as he is technically the best keeper but not on steam friendly New Zealand wickets.
As I said earlier I can only presume his omission was due to his lack of runs this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the days of Evans, Murray Andrews then Knott they were picked for their keeping ability and if they scored runs that was a bonus but it all changed possibly with Jim Parks and then carried on through Alex Stewart. who were both better batsmen that keepers. So it has continued.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the days of Evans, Murray Andrews then Knott they were picked for their keeping ability and if they scored runs that was a bonus but it all changed possibly with Jim Parks and then carried on through Alex Stewart. who were both better batsmen that keepers. So it has continued.

Alan Knott had a higher Test batting average than Jim Parks.

It is largely true what you say though - though the shift really fully occurred after the period of back and forth between selecting Jack Russell and Alec Stewart.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Alan Knott had a higher Test batting average than Jim Parks.

It is largely true what you say though - though the shift really fully occurred after the period of back and forth between selecting Jack Russell and Alec Stewart.

Indeed. Bob Taylor kept Knott out of the team for a while after World Series despite being so poor with the bat. By modern standards, Knott would struggle to get in the team as he was not the sort of player who could function as batsman only.

The consistent inclusion of Taylor, right into his forties, showed how England knew the function of keeper should, unless there is little between the candidates, stand alone. He Kept Knott out for long periods despite regular batting failures.

Taylor was one of the best keepers there has ever been. What worries me is that when you look at players like James Foster, Chris Read and Ben Foakes, and the low amount of Tests they played, it defies belief how some of our best ever keepers fall victim to the false economy of run makers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pleased to see some young blood coming into the T20 fold. Matt Parkinson in particular is a very exciting young cricketer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here