Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Thomas Cook

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nope. I have been in contact on Twitter via DM which appears the quickest way of getting hold of them. Have been told that I should either have received the refund or be contacted for more information by the end of the weekend and if not to get back in touch Monday.

I made my claim the first day.

You heard anything yet?

I'm still waiting.........

Phoned and emailed twice, but nitto. Each time I've phoned I've been promised an email communication back with the status of my claim, but I've heard absolutely nothing. Getting a bit pissed off with them now :rant:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bold move to increase your outlets 5 fold overnight. Hope it works!

I imagine many of us thought the same at the time.

Mr and Mrs Hayes were on 5Live one morning earlier this week, and it continues to be a really heartening story - I hope it continues.

When asked about saving 2,000 jobs, they confirmed that most Thomas Cook store staff took up their offer to work for them. However, beyond that they also said that for money-saving reasons many stores were running on skeletal teams, so they've actually recruited a significant number of extra staff for the ex-Thomas Cook stores so they are now better manned.

Whilst my parents used a high street travel agent, I'm not sure I've used one since I became responsible for my own holiday arrangements, but it's great that Hayes have managed to keep this going for all those that do like to book holidays this way.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You heard anything yet?

I'm still waiting.........

Phoned and emailed twice, but nitto. Each time I've phoned I've been promised an email communication back with the status of my claim, but I've heard absolutely nothing. Getting a bit pissed off with them now :rant:

I've heard zilch. A work colleague was paid his compensation a couple of months ago. Although pissed off not heard anything yet its slightly reassuring other claimants are in the same boat.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I imagine many of us thought the same at the time.

Mr and Mrs Hayes were on 5Live one morning earlier this week, and it continues to be a really heartening story - I hope it continues.

When asked about saving 2,000 jobs, they confirmed that most Thomas Cook store staff took up their offer to work for them. However, beyond that they also said that for money-saving reasons many stores were running on skeletal teams, so they've actually recruited a significant number of extra staff for the ex-Thomas Cook stores so they are now better manned.

Whilst my parents used a high street travel agent, I'm not sure I've used one since I became responsible for my own holiday arrangements, but it's great that Hayes have managed to keep this going for all those that do like to book holidays this way.

Complete agree. I have worked in the travel industry for 24 years now (business travel). When i started we had approximately 125 offices throughout the UK and Ireland. We now have about 10 dotted about. This is due to the way the industry has changed and the internet. Most of our agents are now home based and the fact our clients can now book using our online tools rather than pick up the phone.

I was amazed that Hayes took TC on when they did but good luck to them and I hope they reap the rewards

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've heard zilch. A work colleague was paid his compensation a couple of months ago. Although pissed off not heard anything yet its slightly reassuring other claimants are in the same boat.

I’m still waiting too. Was advised that a new agent was now dealing with my claim and asked to forward evidence of payment and copy documents which I did by return over a week ago. Heard nothing since.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Interesting, just called them and I was told my claim has been closed as non-refundable. This is despite no communication from them whatsoever!

They told me my ATOL number (5788) is Expeidia's number so that is why they won't be refunding me. Only taken 3 months to get this far. Now I guess I've got start all over again through Expedia. 'kin useless

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Interesting, just called them and I was told my claim has been closed as non-refundable. This is despite no communication from them whatsoever!

They told me my ATOL number (5788) is Expeidia's number so that is why they won't be refunding me. Only taken 3 months to get this far. Now I guess I've got start all over again through Expedia. 'kin useless

I think you are in the same position as me. Their argument being that if the booking company, Thomas Cook use expedia as their agent the holiday you booked was still available to take. The flights are usually with easyjet. My argument, in my case is that in the breakdown of the holiday price the booking fee used to pay Thomas Cook (it's a pittance less than £3) should be refundable because they went out of business and did not contact me about the holiday, I assumed rightly or wrongly I would be due a refund and submitted my claim. I was hoping the refund of the Thomas Cook booking refund would indicate if my full claim had been unsuccessful. It is of course the hope that kills you, it is now looking like I will get no refund whatsoever and they have not the courtesy to reply to your claim.:down:

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think you are in the same position as me. Their argument being that if the booking company, Thomas Cook use expedia as their agent the holiday you booked was still available to take. The flights are usually with easyjet. My argument, in my case is that in the breakdown of the holiday price the booking fee used to pay Thomas Cook (it's a pittance less than £3) should be refundable because they went out of business and did not contact me about the holiday, I assumed rightly or wrongly I would be due a refund and submitted my claim. I was hoping the refund of the Thomas Cook booking refund would indicate if my full claim had been unsuccessful. It is of course the hope that kills you, it is now looking like I will get no refund whatsoever and they have not the courtesy to reply to your claim.:down:

This absolutely stinks. You're right, my flights were with EasyJet, and I rang them immediately TC went under, and was told my flights were still valid. However, I could get no information about the hotel booking whatsoever, so we decided not to risk travelling as we didn't want to risk arriving at the hotel and having to pay for it again. It now looks as if we could have travelled and everything would have been fine, so I might well have just spunked £500 up the wall.

In fact, it's cost me a lot more than the original £500. The trip was long weekend break in Rome for Mrs P's 60th. As we didn't go I had to hastily arrange a 60th birthday party, which wasn't cheap, and I promised her we will still got to Rome, so I'm going to have to pay for another trip!

I guess my only hope now is, because I booked it on a Credit Card, I might get a section 75 refund from my Credit Card company.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
This absolutely stinks. You're right, my flights were with EasyJet, and I rang them immediately TC went under, and was told my flights were still valid. However, I could get no information about the hotel booking whatsoever, so we decided not to risk travelling as we didn't want to risk arriving at the hotel and having to pay for it again. It now looks as if we could have travelled and everything would have been fine, so I might well have just spunked £500 up the wall.

In fact, it's cost me a lot more than the original £500. The trip was long weekend break in Rome for Mrs P's 60th. As we didn't go I had to hastily arrange a 60th birthday party, which wasn't cheap, and I promised her we will still got to Rome, so I'm going to have to pay for another trip!

I guess my only hope now is, because I booked it on a Credit Card, I might get a section 75 refund from my Credit Card company.

It's amazing how similar your predicament is to my own. My holiday was also a weekend trip to Rome for a Birthday present to my wife. I too was worried to take the easyjet flights in case the hotel no longer traded with Thomas Cook customers and had not been paid. Sucks doesn't it? We booked another holiday.....not to Italy so I still owe the wife a trip to Rome.:hilton:

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's amazing how similar your predicament is to my own. My holiday was also a weekend trip to Rome for a Birthday present to my wife. I too was worried to take the easyjet flights in case the hotel no longer traded with Thomas Cook customers and had not been paid. Sucks doesn't it? We booked another holiday.....not to Italy so I still owe the wife a trip to Rome.:hilton:

A bit of an update for you that might help your situation. I finally got an email back from ATOL confirming they were going to give me nothing, however they suggested I contact Expedia directly. Yesterday I emailed them and got a reply back this morning saying they will contact the hotel to at least hopefully get me that refunded. I emailed them at travel@support.expedia.co.uk and as I say they replied within 24 hours.

Might be worth you giving it a go as well? Good luck if you do :thumbsup:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
A bit of an update for you that might help your situation. I finally got an email back from ATOL confirming they were going to give me nothing, however they suggested I contact Expedia directly. Yesterday I emailed them and got a reply back this morning saying they will contact the hotel to at least hopefully get me that refunded. I emailed them at travel@support.expedia.co.uk and as I say they replied within 24 hours.

Many thanks Pasty, I will do as you suggest over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006

Thank you pasty for your help. Expedia were very helpful and efficient. They told me that although my holiday was available I was considered a ' no show ' at the hotel. They said they would however compensate me for the hotel which was half the cost of the holiday. So in summary I was refunded approximately half my holiday.:clap::kiss::bowdown::thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here