Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Thomas Cook

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Almost officially belly up. Worth it's own thread due to the hundreds of thousand abroad and the fact it will keep Brexit off the headlines for at least an afternoon.

600,000 customers currently abroad (150,000 Brits) and employs 21,000 people.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sorry I was being facetious but I thought I heard on the news last week that they don't pay the hotel's until many months after the bookings (hence the Tunisia problem) and due to the weak pound they are struggling to get the money together to pay them and they need some dosh to help them to pay up
I may have got that totally wrong.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry I was being facetious but I thought I heard on the news last week that they don't pay the hotel's until many months after the bookings (hence the Tunisia problem) and due to the weak pound they are struggling to get the money together to pay them.

Yes looks like that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Was this caused by the weak pound due to Brexit uncertainty.

seriously, no, because they hedge their currency exposure. their investors want to put money in, just not enough, suggest its a going concern if had a better balance sheet. they had a large write down on another company merged with further pointing towards mismanagment, over extending the business. Brexit will be blamed though.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The benefits of Privatisation?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I know nothing about the holiday industry,

Are these companies being killed by simply booking your flight / hotel separately even via sites that do the "hard work" ?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Saw a TC Airlines A330 take off from Vegas about an hour & three quarters ago, bet the pax were worried that wouldn’t get home !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know nothing about the holiday industry,

Are these companies being killed by simply booking your flight / hotel separately even via sites that do the "hard work" ?

Not so much, people are getting wise to some of the hidden costs of booking.com etc.

I think TC collapsing will see an increase in package holiday bookings

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Who is going to be able to service such a vast volume? Only TUI left I think

Holiday arms BA/Virgin/TUI will take a share of them depending on location.

We had people with TC bookings re-booking with us over the weekend and risked losing any deposits rather than wait for them to go under.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Almost officially belly up. Worth it's own thread due to the hundreds of thousand abroad and the fact it will keep Brexit off the headlines for at least an afternoon.

150,000 Thomas Cook customers abroad....I didn’t realise Benidorm was that big?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

21,000 with no wages on Friday feel for them.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not so much, people are getting wise to some of the hidden costs of booking.com etc.

I think TC collapsing will see an increase in package holiday bookings

Just book direct with the airline/hotel ??

Trip to Cuba I took earlier this year would have been over £1,500 more by booking with Virgin Holidays than I paid by booking the flight (Virgin) and 2 hotels separately, then did the same again in Mexico (BA). Hotel much more likely to look after you better (room upgrades etc) if you book direct too, and they’ll almost always at least match any online price available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here