Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Correct me if I’m wrong, the policy is not to abolish private education, but to abolish state funding and taxation breaks that private education institutions enjoy. About time too.

And redistributing private land and buildings with the goal of bring private schools into the state system

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Correct me if I’m wrong, the policy is not to abolish private education, but to abolish state funding and taxation breaks that private education institutions enjoy. About time too.

Is it? That's not what it sounded like on the dario earlier....or what other posts on this thread .... let me look it up on the BBC....OK, it sounds like a typical Labour 'complete mess' with the sensible bit you mention lost in a sea of other rhetoric that does clearly include asset stripping and nationalisation of private schools. The twerps :ffsparr:

"Ms Rayner said she will task the Social Mobility Commission - which the party would rename the Social Justice Commission - with "integrating private schools".

"We will set that commission to making the whole education system fairer through the integration of private schools," she said.

"Myself and John McDonnell will set out further steps the Labour government will take, but I can say today that our very first budget will immediately close the tax loopholes used by elite private schools and use that money to improve the lives of all children.""

"The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference, representing a group of independent schools, has already promised that Labour's plans would be "tested in the courts for years to come".

Private schools and their charitable trusts would challenge why they were being singled out for such confiscations.

Why not other forms of non-state education - whether it's nurseries, private tutors, professional training, universities or driving schools for that matter?

Apart from property rights, there would be questions about human rights.

How can you stop a parent choosing to pay someone to teach their child?

Imposing a 7% cap on private school pupil entry to universities would put a serious squeeze on the appeal of independent schools.

But it would also mean taking a crowbar to the principle of university autonomy.

So perhaps the least dramatic part of the plan - cutting charitable status and tax benefits - would be the most likely to go ahead.

There are other practical considerations. How would the state sector absorb another almost 600,000 pupils?"

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It will be amusing to hear all the working class Tories arguing to keep an educational anachronism that their children have very little chance of benefiting from, because JRM and Johnson went to Eton.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely- and, for balance, not forgetting thicko Thornberry.

Bit unfair, she went to state school. Had a bit of complicated upbringing and relied on free meals at school. As a result had to retake all her exams and via the University of Kent ended up a Barrister.

As much as I find her annoying (which I do), she is someone who got has got where she is via hard work and intelligence.

Far from stupid.

She ends up married to Sir Christopher Nugee, who she met at University.

It really exposes the wankers in charge of the Tory party when they routinely refer to her as "Lady Nugee" as Boris Johnson did in Parliament recently.

That's not them exposing her as "posh", it's them telling her she isn't really as posh as them.

Last edited:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
It will be amusing to hear all the working class Tories arguing to keep an educational anachronism that their children have very little chance of benefiting from, because JRM and Johnson went to Eton.

Shirley it’s about choice.
“I may not buy expensive cars but others can if they wish “

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why has nobody mentioned that Labour want to abolish OFSTED for a better system.
Now that I do agree with it has put the young under the most ridiculous pressure and stress.
SAT testing the very young my arse.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It’s a fact that any working class Tory is as thick as shit and not even a private education would have helped.

I can’t wait till they announce re-education camps where these traitors have their former council houses returned to the state and they do some learning about what they did and why it was wrong.

Next policy is capital punishment for all tax avoiders and anyone found guilty of corruption.

Unfortunately Corbyn and McDonnell are too right wing to adopt sensible policies like these that the public want

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it? That's not what it sounded like on the dario earlier....or what other posts on this thread .... let me look it up on the BBC....OK, it sounds like a typical Labour 'complete mess' with the sensible bit you mention lost in a sea of other rhetoric that does clearly include asset stripping and nationalisation of private schools. The twerps :ffsparr:

"Ms Rayner said she will task the Social Mobility Commission - which the party would rename the Social Justice Commission - with "integrating private schools".

"We will set that commission to making the whole education system fairer through the integration of private schools," she said.

"Myself and John McDonnell will set out further steps the Labour government will take, but I can say today that our very first budget will immediately close the tax loopholes used by elite private schools and use that money to improve the lives of all children.""

"The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference, representing a group of independent schools, has already promised that Labour's plans would be "tested in the courts for years to come".

Private schools and their charitable trusts would challenge why they were being singled out for such confiscations.

Why not other forms of non-state education - whether it's nurseries, private tutors, professional training, universities or driving schools for that matter?

Apart from property rights, there would be questions about human rights.

How can you stop a parent choosing to pay someone to teach their child?

Imposing a 7% cap on private school pupil entry to universities would put a serious squeeze on the appeal of independent schools.

But it would also mean taking a crowbar to the principle of university autonomy.

So perhaps the least dramatic part of the plan - cutting charitable status and tax benefits - would be the most likely to go ahead.

There are other practical considerations. How would the state sector absorb another almost 600,000 pupils?"
OK, abolishing tax breaks and favourable rates of VAT - I'm in. Abolishing them altogether - I'm out.

So which is it that Momentum Labour will be pushing for? Or will it be a Jeremy if-I-can-find-a-fence-I'll-sit-on-it Corbyn fudge, like his stand on Brexit? - "We'll sort of abolish them, but not really, then see how it goes and then maybe have a vote on it. Somewhere. Sometime".

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
As a Teacher for 17 years and having taught over 6,000 kids in more than 100 schools, I say bring it on! Our devisive system is toilet and not fit for purpose. On almost every measure Finnish education surpasses the rest of the world. It's not just because of their class sizes, no homework, no national exams till 16, learning through play until 7, the main reason is it is illegal to open a private school. This way the rich, knowing their kids have to go to school with the hoy polloi, demand to pay higher taxes to ensure all schools are well funded and of the highest standard. Eton receives more state funding than any state school. And Ofsted can go f**k itself - bunch of bullies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Removing their charitable status definitely a vote winner, taking their assets definitely not.

The Eton / Private School / Tory thing, I come to conclusion that's not really about "privilege". You can look at the Labour Party too and offer similar criticism regarding their career/education history.

You can work your way up the ranks in either party if you are ideologically inclined. Going to Eton probably makes you that way, but I'm not sure you are barred from entry if you went to state school and have a poster of Thatcher on your bedroom wall.

The reality is that the most frothing at the mouth string them up frighteningly oddball Tory MPs are from relatively "normal" backgrounds.

a look through the Eton alumni shows a number of artists, explorers, actors, writers, Labour politicans, not just Conserative PMs, soldiers, bankers and 18th mill owners. dont know why this issue gets distilled down to one school when theres a couple thousand. Labour are playing to very old prejudices, quite out of date. a few family and friends went private school and it didnt do them any better in later education or career, meanwhile know someone at the foreign office went to state school and a northern redbrick. really people can get on with their own effort.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What you see is what you get, Corbyn wears a mask.

Well he quite obviously doesn't does he ? Which is why he is pretty much unelectable.

Boris on the other hand appeals to an anti-immigration vote when:

1) Appealed TWICE for an amnesty on illegal immigrants when London Mayor and repeated in his first speech as PM.

2) Fully supports freedom of movement even in discussion with EU diplomats post referendum.

3) Quietly increased the time foreign students can stay in the UK post education to look for a job from two months to two years this month.

He is far more "liberal/pro immigration" than anyone else in the current Cabinet. He doesn't even believe in Brexit. He is just there because the extreme neo liberal tendencies in the Tory Party know:

1) He is electable in an X-Factor "a dog could win this" type way.
2) He will go along with anything to gain "power", although in his mind it's "popularity" - he obviously has issues.
3) The membership will vote for a privately educated clown who makes them laugh and ignore his actual beliefs.
4) He is easily manipulated.

The Tory party is now controlled by those wearing masks.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As a Teacher for 17 years and having taught over 6,000 kids in more than 100 schools, I say bring it on! Our devisive system is toilet and not fit for purpose. On almost every measure Finnish education surpasses the rest of the world. It's not just because of their class sizes, no homework, no national exams till 16, learning through play until 7, the main reason is it is illegal to open a private school. This way the rich, knowing their kids have to go to school with the hoy polloi, demand to pay higher taxes to ensure all schools are well funded and of the highest standard. Eton receives more state funding than any state school. And Ofsted can go f**k itself - bunch of bullies.

Very eloquently put. Aren’t you attracted to work in Finland?

100 schools in 17 years?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

100 schools in 17 years?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
100 schools in 17 years?

Supply! You can easily do 10 in a month when you work in London. And Prep schools are the most pointless, straw hats and all. Spent a month in a Libavitch School and wasn't allowed to mention dinosaurs or how old the ancient Egyptians are.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why has nobody mentioned that Labour want to abolish OFSTED for a better system.
Now that I do agree with it has put the young under the most ridiculous pressure and stress.
SAT testing the very young my arse.

how would you know if children are falling behind? or if schools are letting standards fall? OFSTED is will just be replaced by different process, underslightly different managment with same staff. we had yr 2 SAT with no bother, bearly even mentioned. they are a "problem" where they may expose poor standards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here