Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
What’s next
Abolish private health care because some can afford it and force everyone into the bursting nhs?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The cost for schools in the public sector would go through the roof at the moment the people who send children to private school pay taxes which pay towards these schools and fees for private schools so they are paying twice.
However the private school should do more bursary for children who can’t afford it and work with schools in the public sector.

Like any business, public schools should pay fair taxes, and their customers should pay the going rate of VAT.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
ha e minor sympathies for the policy, but with the land lord policy Labour would no longer get my vote, originally support ed Corbyn, they are a mess

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Would these threads not be better with a simple party politics poll, as all this constant party bashing is getting boring? Thank god we’ve got 2 games this week!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, it certainly won't be a vote winner sweeping them to power in the next GE. Labour myself, but highly unlikely to vote for 'em myself at the moment (like, I suspect, many life-long Labour voters).
Anyway, the best way to improve the education system isn't by destroying all the most successful bits! Ideology and education are bad bed-fellows anyway - it took years to sort out the mess of the wholesale dash to comprehensive, but at least the best 'comprehensives' are now using selection in their admissions procedures like the grammar schools of old (fortunately, my kids were fortunate enough to be brought up in a city that still has four state grammar schools!).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Would these threads not be better with a simple party politics poll, as all this constant party bashing is getting boring? Thank god we’ve got 2 games this week!

I avoid the running thread, the cycling thread, and the NFL thread, I have no interest in them, why don’t you do the same with the politics threads?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well, it certainly won't be a vote winner sweeping them to power in the next GE. Labour myself, but highly unlikely to vote for 'em myself at the moment (like, I suspect, many life-long Labour voters).
Anyway, the best way to improve the education system isn't by destroying all the most successful bits! Ideology and education are bad fellows anyway - it took years to sort out the mess of the wholesale dash to comprehensive, but at least the best 'comprehensives' are now using selection in their admissions procedures like the grammar schools of old (fortunately, my kids were fortunate enough to be brought up in a city that still has four state grammar schools!).

Which part of traditional Labour policies have you ever agreed with.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What’s next
Abolish private health care because some can afford it and force everyone into the bursting nhs?

Correct me if I’m wrong, the policy is not to abolish private education, but to abolish state funding and taxation breaks that private education institutions enjoy. About time too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've never had the funds for Private school. I certainly have limited love for the entitled range rovers that drive at me going to the school at the end of my road. This though, is the politics of envy.

Raise the standards of state schools so kids have a better education and sporting background. Not penalise those that are lucky enough to afford it and are taking a burden off the state in doing so.

This.

And end the tax breaks for private schools. It is a business like any other.

Momentum Labour, though - such nobbers.

Boris will walk all over this lot in a GE (and I hate Boris the Liar, and his new Tory party).

Pick your battles. Right now it is Brexit. Listening to Len McLuskie on R5 this evening, he's not interested in Brexit, only the deliverance of a Corbyn government.

Let's remind ourselves of Deliverance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFKdAhi_yc0

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Removing their charitable status definitely a vote winner, taking their assets definitely not.

The Eton / Private School / Tory thing, I come to conclusion that's not really about "privilege". You can look at the Labour Party too and offer similar criticism regarding their career/education history.

You can work your way up the ranks in either party if you are ideologically inclined. Going to Eton probably makes you that way, but I'm not sure you are barred from entry if you went to state school and have a poster of Thatcher on your bedroom wall.

The reality is that the most frothing at the mouth string them up frighteningly oddball Tory MPs are from relatively "normal" backgrounds.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
education to be based on academic ability,

If it was, [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] would never ever have got through the front door.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If the commies get into power, we are in deep doodoos.

I think you mean 'incompetanties'.

Sadly it is people like you that make me think 'hang, on, maybe labour are the answer' :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here