Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good point, I guess I mean "unfair" rather than strange.

Perhaps given the spike of the cost of living in the last 20 years, it has become a more pronounced and noticeable difference for those that do not inherit wealth.

There’s wealth and there’s wealth.

Should a couple who worked 50 years and ended up owning a £700k home in Sussex, be penalised when they’ve already paid a lifetime of taxes and NIC? Compared to someone who with clever tax breaks in worth £10m’s?

I don’t think even a Marxist Momentum government would deal that IHT blow to normal folk .... not least because there are countless millions of voters in the South and beyond who’d lose out hugely.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Tories used to be respectable, responsible and caring too, then they sold off virtually all our state assets in order to subsidise short term tax cuts so they would get re-elected. They used to say privatising our state assets and industry would make them competitive and reduce the cost to consumers. That went well didn't it ?

Tories, caring? I must have missed that.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have had the thinking, for a long time now, that earning about the average annual wage should bring certain rewards with it. Yet I know people who earn above but have struggled to buy even modest property etc. That seems strange and unfair to me.

I agree. Born largely out of exponential house price rises in the southern half of England. Stemming from a lack of supply of development land, population increase and the British obsession with high new build costs.

Far more (millions) of decent and affordable new homes need building.

Will nimbies and nimby councils allow that?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The UK is one of the most unequal societies in Europe and private education fosters this inequality. Currently 7% of school children go on to control parliament, the judiciary and the media.

The pernicious effects of this inequality impacts mental wellbeing, physical health, crime, social mobility, community and violence.

The fact that most of the political elite were privately educated holds back the improvement of state schools. If the kids of the rich had to be state educated you can bet standards would improve.

Why should we support a system that entrenches privilege and harms society?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It is a Conference resolution NOT “from Corbyn”...

However, the abolition of private schools - and the wider reduction in passing of privilege down through families (e.g. 100% inheritance tax over £50,000) - WILL be a very good thing when the country comes to its senses at some point. May well not be in our lifetime but I hope it will be some time...

I'm with you brother.
But could we tweak it to about £180,000 or I won't get anything when my parents die and I need a new kitchen and bathroom.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There’s wealth and there’s wealth.

Should a couple who worked 50 years and ended up owning a £700k home in Sussex, be penalised when they’ve already paid a lifetime of taxes and NIC? Compared to someone who with clever tax breaks in worth £10m’s?

I don’t think even a Marxist Momentum government would deal that IHT blow to normal folk .... not least because there are countless millions of voters in the South and beyond who’d lose out hugely.

But you're not penalising them are you, you're "penalising" their children, by not giving them a leg up against others whose parents didn't acquire £700k (which is still an awful lot of money - I would most definitely call it wealth).

As I said I do get it - I will want my 2 boys to inherit the value of this house when I go. But only because that is what everyone is doing. I'd be just as happy (I think) if they were on a more level playing field with all of their generation.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The UK is one of the most unequal societies in Europe and private education fosters this inequality. Currently 7% of school children go on to control parliament, the judiciary and the media.

The pernicious effects of this inequality impacts mental wellbeing, physical health, crime, social mobility, community and violence.

The fact that most of the political elite were privately educated holds back the improvement of state schools. If the kids of the rich had to be state educated you can bet standards would improve.

They wont be they'll be sent to Switzerland, The Sorbonne, Yale or Harvard. Delusional thinking. If I were rich my money would be out of here LONG before commy Labour got their hands on it.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The key for me is driving towards equality of opportunity. I would equate the way Labour is dealing with this issue in education to a bit like you would a knee injury. The injured (failing) schools need greater support to recover. The suggestion to damage the other knee which is strong and working well isn't the answer.
As per Moshe/Raleigh, tackling inherited wealth more effectively would go some way to re-dressing the balance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would that be for everybody else but not apply to Labour MPs. Mind a safe suggestion as Corbyn will never be PM as if they managed to win a GE they would get rid of him.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But you're not penalising them are you, you're "penalising" their children, by not giving them a leg up against others whose parents didn't acquire £700k (which is still an awful lot of money - I would most definitely call it wealth).

As I said I do get it - I will want my 2 boys to inherit the value of this house when I go. But only because that is what everyone is doing. I'd be just as happy (I think) if they were on a more level playing field with all of their generation.

Unless you get raving dementia in your dotage, then your 2 boys will get sod all anyway as the council sells your house to pay for your care home.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Now this has moved on to punitive IH taxes, all this would do is encourage parents to pass on their wealth before they die, or blow it, and in so doing increasing the inequality.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They wont be they'll be sent to Switzerland, The Sorbonne, Yale or Harvard. Delusional thinking. If I were rich my money would be out of here LONG before commy Labour got their hands on it.

Some may send their kids to private school abroad but I don't think many will send them to foreign universities ???

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

If your 2 boys inherit the value of your house, that should make it much less likely that they will ever be reliant upon the state, leaving more money to be distributed to those that are. Isn't that a good thing?

D

Deleted member 2719

Corbyn is sly and dangerous not to be trusted, in short, he is a nutter.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

Although I understand and agree with all the comments about the impracticalities of the policy, I totally agree with this...... as does the political economist (and master of Hertford College, Oxford, Will Hutton.

Would that state education was so good that people did not need to think about Private Education.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here