Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Use of pronoun “their” ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How about using “ it” if the gender is not defined....after all people do that with babies

So is “it”a girl or a boy...people have been doing that for years

'girl' or 'boy' is a definition of sex not gender.

Don't worry, it confuses me too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• 285A33AC-FBBC-4436-9FFF-A4C6D5CE0927.jpeg
    285A33AC-FBBC-4436-9FFF-A4C6D5CE0927.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 167

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's what I reckoned. I think French would also cope.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

But thinking about it, given we have three genders and the idea is that one doesn’t want to be any of them...maybe they’re non-trinary? It is confusing.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I doth not und'rstand the issue, language changes. The useth of c'rtain w'rds shall changeth ov'r timeth

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If it makes people feel a bit better about themselves, I am happy to accommodate it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Language evolves. 200 years ago there was no word for computer as there was no need to use that word. When a new thing is invented we don't throw it out because we don't have a word for it, we adapt our language.

Clearly in the past people didn't see the need to have gender-neutral pronouns but that doesn't mean we shouldn't introduce a new pronoun that is gender-neutral. 'Their' is a word that is fairly similar in meaning anyway so makes a lot of sense to use that.

Indeed. And they've done it by introducing the gender-neutral 'ze'. A new word to reflect the new times. Leave 'they and their' (which admittedly can be occasionally used as singular pronouns but are more commonly used as plurals) to their current usage and embrace the new. Why confuse things? It's hard enough to keep up as it is.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Indeed. And they've done it by introducing the gender-neutral 'ze'. A new word to reflect the new times. Leave 'they and their' (which admittedly can be occasionally used as singular pronouns but are more commonly used as plurals) to their current usage and embrace the new. Why confuse things? It's hard enough to keep up as it is.

Tip of the iceberg.

https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/

I'm as confused as the next person, but not adverse to changes in the language that address gender issues. I struggle with the scope of language being used though, and am not sure about 'compelled speech' legislation that makes refusal to use them a hate crime. All seems a bit Orwellian to me.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/br...aw-to-use-reasonable-pronouns-like-ze-and-zer

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tip of the iceberg.

https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/

I'm as confused as the next person, but not adverse to changes in the language that address gender issues. I struggle with the scope of language being used though, and am not sure about 'compelled speech' legislation that makes refusal to use them a hate crime. All seems a bit Orwellian to me.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/br...aw-to-use-reasonable-pronouns-like-ze-and-zer

Blimey you weren't kidding!

Even that website though admits that the use of they/their as single pronouns is contentious and was more an imperfect historical workaround to get round the fact that English never had a gender-neutral pronoun. Given the huge array of new terms available that problem no longer exists so I don't know why some reactionary, antediluvian stick-in-the muds want to go on using it in a flawed historic manner when we have evolved new words to deal with the gender-neutral situation now.

Tell Sam Smith (and anybody else) to embrace the modern world.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] That website also says we'll be arguing about its useage for centuries to come!

Brightonrock01

May 22, 2017
Augusta, Ga, USA
Language evolves. 200 years ago there was no word for computer as there was no need to use that word. When a new thing is invented we don't throw it out because we don't have a word for it, we adapt our language.

Clearly in the past people didn't see the need to have gender-neutral pronouns but that doesn't mean we shouldn't introduce a new pronoun that is gender-neutral. 'Their' is a word that is fairly similar in meaning anyway so makes a lot of sense to use that.

Whilst on holiday in Kenya, I found out that there is still no word in Swahili for Hovercraft!! I was attempting to learn the phrase 'My hovercraft is full of eels' - my favourite phrase to learn in any language - only to be let down.

We live & learn :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here