RWB?

• Alzate

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Montoya

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
When Trossard is back i can't see young Alzate playing in the front three and he's going to struggle replacing Propper or Stephens.
The postion he could make his own over the next few months in RWB IMHO. Montoya is a headless chicken. Assuming March is back soon and playing LWB.
So Simple poll- Alzate or Montoya at RWB.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Our team would be even better with better wing backs. Montoya is steady at best. Hope Potter can unlock a gem in January(not a fan of Schelotto).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Solly shut out the talented Dwight McNeil of Burnley.

Montoya simply can’t do that. Second half this evening, Saint-Maximin skinned Montoya every time, allowing Newcastle to breach our defence.

Yes, but I was comparing Alzate with Solly rather than Montoya?
Montoya didn't an excellent job in the Cup Semi-Final, to the point where Sterling switched to Bernardo (who also gave him nothing), so comparing performances against specific players doesn't work for me.

I think Solly does not have as good a footballing brain as Alzate, even now. (and I like Solly).
Montoya? We have to do better, but our main requirement is up front.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yes, but I was comparing Alzate with Solly rather than Montoya?
Montoya didn't an excellent job in the Cup Semi-Final, to the point where Sterling switched to Bernardo (who also gave him nothing), so comparing performances against specific players doesn't work for me.

I think Solly does not have as good a footballing brain as Alzate, even now. (and I like Solly).
Montoya? We have to do better, but our main requirement is up front.

Anyone arguing March is more intelligent football wise than Alzate is clearly mad. It doesn't matter how many games they've played- it's absolutely obvious.
March is undoubtedly a talented lad but it's his decision making that is woeful.
They're basically polar opposites- if Alzate had the natural ability of March he'd be in the England team already (or Colombia). And if March had the footballing brain of Alzate he'd have been an international years ago. Fine margins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone arguing March is more intelligent football wise than Alzate is clearly mad. It doesn't matter how many games they've played- it's absolutely obvious.
March is undoubtedly a talented lad but it's his decision making that is woeful.
They're basically polar opposites- if Alzate had the natural ability of March he'd be in the England team already (or Colombia). And if March had the footballing brain of Alzate he'd have been an international years ago. Fine margins.

Alzate hopefully has a good career ahead of him, mainly with us....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've only seen Alzate for 90 minutes so I dont know enough to take any stance on the subject.

I disagree with the "anyone except Montoya" stuff though. I think he is very decent. Not the best end product, but good at finding spaces and making himself playable, safe on the ball and rarely losing possession. Plus he is pretty quick which is useful in games where you want to overload on your right wing, especially since pace is likely to be Brightons major flaw this season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Wheeeeen weeee lose possession and I feel aggression, it's Montoyaaaaa!"

(sorry, but it's true)

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Our team would be even better with better wing backs. Montoya is steady at best. Hope Potter can unlock a gem in January(not a fan of Schelotto).

Valentino Lazaro, not sure if he could be enticed to go to BHA though, but I reckon he would be a great signing. Very quick, powerful and a good crosser.

Anthony Caci from Strasbourg is a versatile young defender. Can play CB, RB, RWB and DM.

EDIT: Just realised that Lazaro was signed by Inter in the summer!

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems to be the only one who does it. Begs the question, if he didn't play would we ever give possession away?

So Webster just passing out of defence to a ball boy under no pressure doesn't count.

Also with the continued love fest with Burn as he looks good going forward from time to time completely overlooks his missed tackles or being out of position defensively.

It seems to me that some have now moved on from slagging Stephens and for some strange reason Montoya has been given the mantle of the Albion player that the loaners can... well (unjustly) moan about.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
So Webster just passing out of defence to a ball boy under no pressure doesn't count.

Also with the continued love fest with Burn as he looks good going forward from time to time completely overlooks his missed tackles or being out of position defensively.

It seems to me that some have now moved on from slagging Stephens and for some strange reason Montoya has been given the mantle of the Albion player that the loaners can... well (unjustly) moan about.

Don't agree.
Passing to a ball boy (which i saw) is very different to being caught in possession on the wing. I'm sure you've played football before, you know that. Compare Alzate- bought up at Orient, on debut, to Montoya- Barca, Valencia, Champions League etc and ask, is it good enough to be giving the ball away like this?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Loss of possession:

Ryan 0

Webster 1
Dunk 0
Burn 4

Montoya 3
Pröpper 2
Stephens 2
Alzate 5

Mooy 6
Maupay 2
Gross 2

Stats aint everything though and Montoyas pass completion ratio, 75%, is far from brilliant even if its not unusual numbers for players who have a majority of their passing attempts in a forward direction.
Alzate 5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here