Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Noticed through last season that he had obviously been in the gym a lot. Ive been very impressed with his performances whenever he's had minutes on the pitch. Very underrated player I feel. A stand out game from last year I remember he started the 1-1 home draw with Chelsea and put in an absolutely top centre mid performance.

So why then does he play so little?

I say this as someone who is a fan of his. But since he first broke into the team, we've bought in MacAllister, Moder, Caicedo, Mwepu, Lallana. All have leapfrogged him in the pecking order. Now we apparently are looking at getting a new holding midfielder

My view is this is make or break. He can't stay and be a fringe player for ever. I reckon GP just doesn't rate him. Not high enough to be higher than 6thish choice mid. (All the excuses are around Covid, niggles, etc)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I say this as someone who is a fan of his. But since he first broke into the team, we've bought in MacAllister, Moder, Caicedo, Mwepu, Lallana. All have leapfrogged him in the pecking order. Now we apparently are looking at getting a new holding midfielder

My view is this is make or break. He can't stay and be a fringe player for ever. I reckon GP just doesn't rate him. Not high enough to be higher than 6thish choice mid. (All the excuses are around Covid, niggles, etc)

Despite speaking as not a fan of his, my view about make or break is the same as yours. I think GP does rate him otherwise he would have gone the way of Molumbey. But he needs to apply some of his new found strength and add Mwepu and Caicedo's power and eye for a pass to his own undoubted talent. My issue up till now has been that I never notice him. To me, it feels like when we sub him on, we go down to 10 men.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think Alzate is an excellent footballer who should be very much in our first team this season. He offers a lot more on the pitch than Lallana does and with Bissouma gone, I hope to see Alzate really cement his place in the team and not be dropped after one (arguably) bad game.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

wasn't there some sort of story that he was suffering from illness or the effects of for a lot of las season? long covid perhaps?

agree it's make or break this time round though

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I say this as someone who is a fan of his. But since he first broke into the team, we've bought in MacAllister, Caicedo, Mwepu, Lallana. All have leapfrogged him in the pecking order. Now we apparently are looking at getting a new holding midfielder

My view is this is make or break. He can't stay and be a fringe player for ever. I reckon GP just doesn't rate him. Not high enough to be higher than 6thish choice mid

I think GP rates him very highly actually, but the competition is difficult and more than that - Alzate has struggled a lot with injuries, sometimes ones that has only been hinted about rather than revealed. I think if he could stay fit for an entire season he would get a lot of game time.

He is a player playing with fine margins, very neat touches, almost-dangerous passes, cheeky dribbles and turnarounds... when he is a bit rusty or doesn't have a good day it makes him look completely incompetent but for the most part he is great and truly talented.

This season might determine his immediate future but someone with his already high level of skill will most likely have a good career regardless if it is in Brighton or elsewhere.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's not a goal scoring trossard type midfielder, or even someone with a high assist rate. He's just not that type of player. But in terms keeping possession, putting tackles in, breaking up opposition play, and generally keeping things ticking along in the midfield I think he's very good. Always impresses when given minutes. His close control with the ball, passing, and footwork is also decent, never seems to panic when in tight situations. Much more a Lallana type than a Trossard, and deserving of more time on the pitch. Maybe nowadays as a midfield player you need to score goals or get assists as well as all the positive points Alzate possesses, and thats why he's not been more used.

The Chelsea at home game I mentioned previously, I just remember being so impressed with how he coped stepping in to replace the injured/suspended Bissouma against a top side.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think GP rates him very highly actually, but the competition is difficult and more than that - Alzate has struggled a lot with injuries, sometimes ones that has only been hinted about rather than revealed. I think if he could stay fit for an entire season he would get a lot of game time.

He is a player playing with fine margins, very neat touches, almost-dangerous passes, cheeky dribbles and turnarounds... when he is a bit rusty or doesn't have a good day it makes him look completely incompetent but for the most part he is great and truly talented.

This season might determine his immediate future but someone with his already high level of skill will most likely have a good career regardless if it is in Brighton or elsewhere.

Good post

I wonder if the goal he gave away vs Chelsea a couple of seasons back, put a question mark over him. Instead of playing the way he was facing, turned blindly and lost the ball.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Sorry, I know there are fans but I'm still not convinced. Too many lazy passes and some poor decision-making

Still hoping I'm proved wrong but I still think he's a modern day Propper at this point.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He's not a goal scoring trossard type midfielder, or even someone with a high assist rate. He's just not that type of player. But in terms keeping possession, putting tackles in, breaking up opposition play, and generally keeping things ticking along in the midfield I think he's very good. Always impresses when given minutes. His close control with the ball, passing, and footwork is also decent, never seems to panic when in tight situations. Much more a Lallana type than a Trossard, and deserving of more time on the pitch. Maybe nowadays as a midfield player you need to score goals or get assists as well as all the positive points Alzate possesses, and thats why he's not been more used.

The Chelsea at home game I mentioned previously, I just remember being so impressed with how he coped stepping in to replace the injured/suspended Bissouma against a top side.

I'm also a big fan, and I agree that he was fantastic in that Chelsea match, easily his best performance for us - but then he was average in the next game (Leicester away) and was taken off. I think Potter has said he rates him, and why wouldn't he? He can pass and receive the ball in tight spaces, making him almost the perfect Potter player. But he has to be more consistent.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Anyone know why Alzate didn't make the squad yesterday? The bench looked decent and had every position covered so not sure who I would have dropped for him, just wondering if he has an injury or something. If he isn't likely to make the matchday squad I wonder if he will be asking for a loan to get more game time.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Our bench looked strong but with lots of young players. No Encisco either but who makes way . There will be injuries and availability problems later .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We only had 1 injured/suspended player yesterday. We need to able to cope with having 4 or 5 out without resorting to packing the bench with keepers and U21s.

The bench basically wasn't big enough for everyone yesterday. It will be at some point.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Possible that the stomach bug that affected Danny Welbeck could have affected others in the squad.

Maybe.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm also a big fan, and I agree that he was fantastic in that Chelsea match, easily his best performance for us - but then he was average in the next game (Leicester away) and was taken off. I think Potter has said he rates him, and why wouldn't he? He can pass and receive the ball in tight spaces, making him almost the perfect Potter player. But he has to be more consistent.

Frankly. I never notice him on the pitch. When he comes on as a sub, I feel like we've gone down to ten men. Mr Vanilla as far as I'm concerned. the squad is far too strong with dynamic players who make a difference to accommodate him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn’t even appear to travel as a spare squad player ? Can’t think who would have

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here