Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Alzate was outstanding last night, could easily have snatched MotM from Webster. Steven displayed an excellent temperament and good physicality against a talented midfield and won most of his battles. We have an absolute gem there

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Alzate goes under the radar a little bit (not least through lack of game time) but he's seriously impressed me since his arrival here, with his ability, which keeps improving, but mainly his calm confidence. He never looks out of his depth.

He's had a tendency, as Lewis Dunk did when he was still evolving as a player, to make the odd potentially costly error, but I didn't see much wrong at all last night. Looked like a natural starter for us in a game against the European Champions.

I agree. His confidence on the ball is impressive (even alarming at times), and for me that is what has always made him perfect for a Potter team.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Made a big error last night that almost led to a very good chance for Chelsea. But won the ball back and had a very strong game beside that one **** up. Very impressed with him tonight.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree. His confidence on the ball is impressive (even alarming at times), and for me that is what has always made him perfect for a Potter team.

Yes, he often received the ball in very tight situations last night. I was very pleased that he got on the ball in the first couple of minutes and made a few very sharp passes and seemed to grow in confidence from there. He's not going to be able to ping 50 yard passes like Mac Allister or Trossard, but he makes some very incisive shorter passes and fights hard to win possession in a crowded part of the pitch.

Very good performance, which will help his confidence.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Very impressed by Alzate last night. I don't remember him being quite such a physical presence in midfield before. He's beefed up a bit while he's been out perhaps.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Well done Steve, I had concerns before the game that we wouldn't have enough in the middle to cope with Kante & Jorginho but needn't have worried. Composed and didn't labour, his speed of thought and reading of the game has improved.

Alzate stepped up, Gross had a solid game too. Mac and Moder were running rings around them.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
And of course we have that little gem Sarmiento who was doing great things to make the first team only to have that unfortunate injury against wet spam. Isn't it a great time to be an Albion supporter seeing these developing lads becoming the next stars of the show(s).

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Awesome display from him last night. Be good to see him revive his Colombia career too with more regular game time in the stripes. The talent's always been there, really would love to see him go from a fringe "prospect" to a name you almost expect to see in the starting XI, similar to how Moder & Mac have stepped up in recent weeks.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We came close to beating the reigning European Champions without Dunk, Bissouma and Lallana, and with Trossard and Maupay only on the bench. What a time to be an Albion fan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He looked amazing alongside Bissouma at the beginning of last season. I mistakenly thought he needed Biss alongside him in order to shine, how wrong I was. Potter will be reaching for the headache tablets with the amount of tough decisions players like Alzate & Burn are going to force him to make.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Potter will be reaching for the headache tablets with the amount of tough decisions players like Alzate & Burn are going to force him to make.
Ha! As if Potter "decides"...

Hb86ddf7241c44b16ba4d9439e5801fd3j.gif

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes, he often received the ball in very tight situations last night. .

Yes he did - but so did/do all of our players these days.

It's absolutely the way Potter wants us to play - he calls it being brave - our players have so much confidence in each other - I love watching it (even if Sanchez receiving the ball back two yards from our goal line is not good for my heart !)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes he did - but so did/do all of our players these days.

It's absolutely the way Potter wants us to play - he calls it being brave - our players have so much confidence in each other - I love watching it (even if Sanchez receiving the ball back two yards from our goal line is not good for my heart !)

Yes, brave is good word. It is playing right on the edge at times, but IF you can get through the press it gives sooooo much space in front of the opposition. It's when we stop doing this that we go 'stale' like the Leeds game.

As an aside, I love Lewis Dunk,, but he doesn't help when he plays, as he likes to take control of the ball as we pass out, and he is not as good on the ball as someone like Webster, or in some ways Burn. He actually slows us, I know it's mad to say that, but I think it's true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1483773232465514503[/tweet]

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, brave is good word. It is playing right on the edge at times, but IF you can get through the press it gives sooooo much space in front of the opposition. It's when we stop doing this that we go 'stale' like the Leeds game.

As an aside, I love Lewis Dunk,, but he doesn't help when he plays, as he likes to take control of the ball as we pass out, and he is not as good on the ball as someone like Webster, or in some ways Burn. He actually slows us, I know it's mad to say that, but I think it's true.

Well the way that we are playing now, coupled with the points that wea re accumulating, are going to make it difficult for Dunky to get back into the side. It will take a brave man to drop Dan Burn at the moment.

I thought he was tremendous last night, a £3m signing from Wigan had the £80m Romelu Lukaku in his pocket all game.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I would start him over Lallana every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. I think he's a fantastic player and his absence has really frustrated me. He can do everything and I think he's the successor to Bissouma. For such a young player, he plays with such a high level of intelligence and ability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here