Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His composure and confidence on the ball yesterday was out of this world, was the best central midfielder on the pitch, which considering who he was up against shows just how good he was. Probably edged Trossard and March for my man of the match.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He was brilliant yesterday. Such a lovely player to watch.

ALZ1.gif

ALZ2.gif

ALZ3.gif

ALZ4.gif

ALZ5.gif

ALZ6.gif

I love it when posters share these. There was a Lamptey one versus Norwich, which was equally pleasing -- was that you?
Of these six, 3, 5 and 6 are my favourite, with probably 5 eclipsing the other two: the way in which he deliberately plays the ball on to his other foot to make the space to escape the attention of two opponents is quite something. He's just so difficult to read in terms of his movement in tight spaces, and is calm and has a heightened understanding of the space around him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No disrespect to Propper and Stephens but there’d be games where I would not notice them . same with Gary Dicker And Navarro back in the day .
You notice Alzate , Lallana and Bissouma. They don’t quietly go about their business, they are always looking to influence the game.
That’s one of the big differences this season

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I used to drool over other team’s Players who could do all that. Never thought we would have a team of players who could do this stuff.
The future’s bright.

gazzHands

May 7, 2016
Shearer's comments on MOTD were really annoying. "you just can't let Brighton do that" What? Wriggle through three of the leagues best midfielders and play a sneaky reverse pass that nearly ended in a goal. They literally highlighted empty space instead of saying anything positive about Brighton players

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If he was playing for Spurs and put in that performance against United, people would say he was one of the best young midfielders in the division. What an outstanding performance, after that display I would say he's probably our most promising young player for the future.
Agreed. I love him. Skill, strength, composure and no fear. We're running out of "first names on the teamsheet". Which is rather good.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
quite happy for Alzate to be under the radar as here is already too much focus (and potential unwanted interest) on Lamptey and White , the transfer window is still open.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do we have a player GIF thread somewhere, where we can see all of these?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Looking at some of those he's learnt from Gross and Propper . . . . good stuff indeed.

It was his trademark touch and turn when he was on loan at Swindon - his first touch or two would take him into space. It's not just about the quick feet but also having a mental picture of where the close opposition players are (and then not actually mis-kicking it as he did against Chelsea). He's a great player and will only get better.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
As someone here said "absolute sex on the ball".

Him and Bissouma in midfield is something else. The ball sticks to their feet.

Alzate always seems to want to make something happen and move the ball forwards.

Love Propper but can often spend a whole game passing sideways and backwards.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks [MENTION=13504]miffy6[/MENTION]. These clips are great to watch and really show the story of Saturday's game that went untold because of the fireworks at the end. The Guardian today have picked up on Solskjaer's claim that his players are tired.

These clips don't show Man U players struggling to keep up physically, they show them chasing shadows because of the awareness of risk and space, quick feet and tactical acumen of our young midfielder. Alzate and Lallana were tasked with moving the ball forward quickly from tight spaces to allow the attacking players to utilise the spaces that United's press made available. The hard work done on ball retrieval by the wing backs and front players left the United ball players no comfort.

Yes we eventually left with nothing, but most teams in this division don't have a Bruno Fernandes to find a Marcus Rashford to dig them out of a hole. Undoubtedly we are a work in progress and we made mistakes that cost us the game, but things like ensuring that a big centre half at a set piece is covered by someone who can cope can be worked upon. Thinking about game management at moments of risk can be worked upon. The kind of skills shown in these clips cannot be found easily. We have spent the last three years at a disadvantage in this league because we had midfielders who, although they had their own strengths, were often up against players who could do this kind of thing and subsequently we were the ones sometimes left chasing shadows. It's very exciting to have young players with the ability needed to leave World Cup winners like Pogba bereft.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He was brilliant yesterday. Such a lovely player to watch.

ALZ1.gif

ALZ2.gif

ALZ3.gif

ALZ4.gif

ALZ5.gif

ALZ6.gif

What I like about these clips, extra to the highlighting of Alzate's touch, composure and quick feet, is that Lallana is in three of them (1,2 and 5)and in each clip that he is in you can clearly see him having quick looks around to assess the space and where the danger is. Doesn't seem like much but that awareness and appreciation of space is so important.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here