Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Berlin travel info

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thinking of heading to Berlin in November for a bit of museum/history mullarky.

Any advice on best area to stay ?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
We stay at the Melia when visiting Berlin. Next to Friederichstrasse rail station, on the River Spree and a few minutes walk from Checkpoint Charlie and Brandenburg Gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Friederichstrasse is convenient for sure. Also around the Hackescher Markt, Alexanderplatz, Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz axis has good transport links with easy access to the main sights of interest.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were in what was the East around 5 minutes from Checkpoint Charlie, great City and very interesting.

I would highly recommend the Stasi museum which appeared to be run by yesteryear Communists

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Alexanderplaztz without a doubt. A pair of decent walking shoes as well, so much to see, make sure a visit to the Jewish memorial and museum is on your list, very humbling.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Any time but Summer is tough. As already mentioned, be prepared to walk (although public transport is GREAT).
For me it's a Summer city because in the winter everything happens deep indoors. The museums are exceptional, all of them, but don't expect to find the 'cool' Berlin unless you go really digging.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you can get a deal, this is a lovely hotel in a nice area.

https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/bermc-berlin-marriott-hotel/

If time is against you and you want to see all the sights, this is absolutely the way to do it. I had a whale of a time and learnt loads from our brilliant guide... (Look at the reviews!)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...7323-d11450239-Berlin_Segway_Tour-Berlin.html

If you want to do the typical Oompah and Stein thing, I went here. All very German. I didn't slap my knees (or the waitresses arse) but it was fun enough. Lots of locals there, too - so it can't be that bad.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...-Reviews-Hofbrau_Wirtshaus_Berlin-Berlin.html

Lots to see in Berlin, but if I'm completely honest it's a pretty soulless place. We all tried to have a good time there, but it was the damp tea towel to our chip pan fire. :glare:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thinking of heading to Berlin in November for a bit of museum/history mullarky.

Any advice on best area to stay ?

Where to stay depends on if and what you want on your doorstep. The city is very well connected with u-bahn, s-bahn, trams and regional trains so no matter where you stay you can get about easily enough. Although, if you stay anywhere close to, or outside the ring, it will be very quiet.

The areas around Alexanderplatz, Hauptbahnhof and Checkpoint Charlie are central and well located but little more than functional. It’s the same when you start heading west to places like Charlottenburg and Schoenberg although these are much easier on the eye . If you want something that’s characterful and vibrant with cafes, bars and stuff then stay in Mitte around Auguststraße, Linienstraße or just north of Torstraße, central Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg. These areas all have their own distinct feel and each present a slightly different side to the city.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you still smoke in bars in Berlin?

Yes. If the bar is below a certain size the owner can declare it a smoking bar. Or bars of any size can have a separate smoking room. Or if your in certain parts of Neukölln or Kreuzberg the rules don’t seem to exist regardless of size or rooms.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Knocky's Nose;9080082 If you want to do the typical Oompah and Stein thing said:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d11836094-Reviews-Hofbrau_Wirtshaus_Berlin-Berlin.html[/url]

Lots to see in Berlin, but if I'm completely honest it's a pretty soulless place. We all tried to have a good time there, but it was the damp tea towel to our chip pan fire. :glare:

TBH nobody goes to Berlin for it's stunning architecture. If you're into WW2 & Cold War history, fascinating museums plus every kind of nightlife to suit all tastes, you really can't go wrong. Somebody earlier mentioned having to go digging to find the 'cool Berlin'. I agree. There are plenty of interesting neighbourhoods off the tourist trail to explore. Schoenberg, Neukolln, Kreuzberg, Prenzlaeur Berg, Freidrichshain are all worth exploring if you have time. Varies from leafy green streets to the gritty & grungy. Chances are time will be limited for most people on a short break.

Hoffbrau is basically a McDonalds type franchise of Bavarian Brauhaus. Not typical or authentic of Berlin & mostly for the tourist. Rather like a shop in London selling 'traditional' kilts & haggis. They've even opened branches in China & Dubai. If that kind of thing sails your boat. then fair enough.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes. If the bar is below a certain size the owner can declare it a smoking bar. Or bars of any size can have a separate smoking room. Or if your in certain parts of Neukölln or Kreuzberg the rules don’t seem to exist regardless of size or rooms.
Sounds like heaven to us smokers :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds like heaven to us smokers :)

I’m not a smoker but I don’t have an issue with it. If I want a smoke free bar there’s plenty to choose from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here