Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Arnhem a bridge too far.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Does anyone have relatives who fought in this battle during WW2?
Celebrations are soon to commence, to mark the anniversary of this epic assault.

_108886229_gettyimages-615312572.jpg
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-49771180

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
From the memorial stone:

TO THE PEOPLE OF GELDERLAND
50 years ago British and Polish Airborne soldiers fought here against overwhelming odds to open the way into Germany and bring the war to an early end. Instead we brought death and destruction for which you have never blamed us.

This stone marks our admiration for your great courage, remembering especially the women who tended our wounded. In the long winter that followed your families risked death by hiding Allied soldiers and airmen, while members of the Resistance helped many to safety.

You took us into your homes as fugitives and friends,
We took you into our hearts.
This strong bond will continue
Long after we are all gone.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
One of my earliest memories is of going to watch A Bridge Too Far at the ABC in Eastbourne. Left half of the cinema was full of veterans including my Granddad. He never spoke about the war but we found a collection of photos after he died. I know he was also in North Africa but know very little of the details as I think it was something he tried to forget.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Very ambitious attempt that ended up as a massive defeat.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Does anyone have relatives who fought in this battle during WW2?
Celebrations are soon to commence, to mark the anniversary of this epic assault.

View attachment 115490
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-49771180

My late father-in-law was 19 when he dropped into Arnhem with Major "Boy" Brown's 21st Independent Company to mark the LZ for the following main force. He carried so much kit he had to be "posted" out of the aircraft ! He survived but only by swimming the Rhine to XXX Corps dressed only in his underwear, leaving many of his mates dead on the field. He was a mild-mannered unassuming man whom I (and of course my wife) miss terribly. Very much one of the unsung heroes. God bless you, Nev.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very ambitious attempt that ended up as a massive defeat.

I would not say it was a massive defeat, it gave notice to the Germans about the threat of further airborne assaults which meant they further stretched their dwindling resources guarding and strengthening key bridges and railway hubs.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-story-of-operation-market-garden-in-photos

Paratroopers and 'parapack' supply containers of 1st Parachute Brigade drop from American C-47s onto drop zone (DZ) 'X' between Heelsum and Wolfheze, west of Arnhem, at around 2pm on 17 September. Glider troops of 1st Airlanding Brigade had already arrived, their initial task being to secure the area while the 'Paras' set off towards Arnhem. The British drop and landing zones were on heathland up to eight miles from their objectives, and no attempt was made for a small 'coup de main' party to land directly onto the Arnhem bridge itself. Allied planners were also constrained by limited numbers of transport aircraft, which meant that 4th Parachute Brigade and the remaining glider troops of 1st Airborne Division could not be brought in until the following day. The Polish Brigade had to be dropped later still. These were all controversial parts of the plan, and contributing factors in its ultimate failure.

default.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The counter intelligence Officer Lt Colonel Oreste Pinto claimed in his book Spycatcher that a Dutch Resistance leader who had been "turned" by the Germans had betrayed the plan. This was the real reason a large German concentration of troops was in the area. This traitor unfortunately died before he could be brought to trial and the affair was hushed up.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
My mother was in the British Legion in Brighton. When I lived in Holland, she came annually with all sorts of stuff from veterans locally to take to the cemetery in Arnhem. She witnessed the rehersal for the drop. The museum was the HQ for the paras during the battle. Very moving. The area hasnt really changed much, and it was strange seeing places I had seen in movies of the time, looking exactly the same.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Now passed, but I had a great uncle who parachuted into Arnhem. Only man of his generation I've known who never uttered a single word about the war.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
How about the German side? Anybody brave enough to confess a relative that fought for the Nazis?

My cousin tells me that my uncle, Karl, fought with ground forces of general Von Tettau that had reassembled after the Allies paused before operation Market Garden was initiated. He was 17 years old in 1944. He died in America in Northwest Arkansas living with his cousin and her husband in 1994.They knew English but rarely spoke it because my grandfather, who lived on a farm in NW Arkansas, never learned English.

I was under the impression that Uncle Karl had visited Germany but had lived in Arkansas his whole life. Probably something they told the neighbours.

JBD

Jul 12, 2009
Zone Q
45795039_10217527474203428_1211081984634257408_o.jpg

My Uncle Les The 9th of ten children , my Dad being the youngest. His daughter and great grand children ST at the Amex.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Personally, I wouldn't leave the plane unless it was on fire. To do that, and then fight a battle leaves me in awe

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now passed, but I had a great uncle who parachuted into Arnhem. Only man of his generation I've known who never uttered a single word about the war.

My great uncle also served in WWII but I wasn't close to him when he died.

Just as well really, seeing as he stepped on a landmine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here