Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Newcastle v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: St. James' Park
Date: Saturday 21st September 2019
Kick-off: 17:30 BST
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis
Fourth official: Darren England
VAR: Anthony Taylor
Assistant VAR: Andrew Halliday

TEAM NEWS

Andy Carroll is in contention to make his first Newcastle appearance for nine years after recovering from ankle surgery, although the striker is not yet ready to start.

Another summer signing, Allan Saint-Maximin, is also set to return from injury, while Fabian Schar is fit despite being forced off at Liverpool.

But this game comes too soon for Sean Longstaff, who has an ankle injury.

Brighton's Martin Montoya returns after missing out last weekend with illness.

Fellow defender Bernardo has an outside chance of being available but Leandro Trossard, Ezequiel Schelotto, Jose Izquierdo, Leon Balogun and Alireza Jahanbakhsh remain sidelined.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: A match to remind us how quickly things change.

Just 11 months ago this fixture pitched Rafa Benitez against Chris Hughton, with much local goodwill given to both - until Brighton went home with the points.

Judgement on their replacements might be reserved, but it's maybe worth noting that Newcastle have one more point now than after TEN games last year - despite having already faced three of the 'big six'. Brighton? Same again after five games - won one, drawn two, lost two.

The only previous meeting of Steve Bruce and Graham Potter came even more recently - Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Swansea in February.

Different clubs, different league, different pressures now - particularly for Bruce to get his first home win. Quickly.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Newcastle United head coach Steve Bruce: "We all know if Andy Carroll stays fit he's a wonderful, wonderful centre-forward.

"[A] bit old school if you like to say that. Of his type, there's nobody better in the last 8-10 years when playing... a fit Andy Carroll is going to be huge [for us]."

Brighton & Hove Albion head coach Graham Potter: "We certainly don't go there thinking 'this is not Man City, so it's going to be easy or we've got more of a chance'.

"You just have to play your game and do your best. The opposition can cause you problems in the Premier League wherever you go."

Graham Potter: "We certainly don't go there thinking 'this is not Man City, so it's going to be easy or we've got more of a chance'.

"You just have to play your game and do your best. The opposition can cause you problems in the Premier League wherever you go."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Newcastle have never won a top-flight match against Brighton, drawing two and losing two of four games and scoring just once.
    [*=left]Those four meetings - all of which have come in the Premier League - have produced a total of four goals, with neither side scoring more than once in a single game.

Newcastle United

• [*=left]The Magpies won five consecutive Premier League home matches between January and March but have claimed just one victory in their subsequent five matches on Tyneside (D1, L3).
    [*=left]Newcastle have averaged 33% possession so far, the lowest figure in this season's Premier League.
    [*=left]Three of their four league goals in 2019-20 have been scored in the first half, with their only strike after the break a stoppage-time consolation in the 3-1 defeat at Norwich.
    [*=left]Christian Atsu has set up two goals in three Premier League appearances this season - as many assists as in his previous 56 top-flight games.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have won one of their last 14 league matches (D5, L8), failing to score in eight of them.
    [*=left]During this run they have scored two goals or more on just one occasion - in the 3-0 win at Watford on the opening weekend.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have attempted 1,259 passes in their own half this season, the fifth highest total in the Premier League; they ranked 15th for such passes in 2018-19.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has seven goals in his last 11 league games: two in five matches for Brighton plus five in six for Brentford last season.
    [*=left]Maupay was one of three players to score at least 25 Championship goals last season, along with Tammy Abraham and Teemu Pukki.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Big game for Potter this. Lose this and he will be on borrowed time. I cannot see him lasting much longer with a defeat.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Big game for Potter this. Lose this and he will be on borrowed time. I cannot see him lasting much longer with a defeat.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Cheer up, mush.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Need to take an early chance here IMO. Get in front and the reduced number of Geordies will be straight on their back. Go behind early like we did at City and it's a massive struggle.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
My little Albion shirt car accessory fell down twice today. It's done it before on match day but I can't remember what happened. Could this be the turning point or something far worse?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

No chance - The Board and Management have to run with the Manager. They called the shots on it so they have to give it a fair crack of the whip.

Steve Bruce sets up and plays in a similar way to what both Raffa and CH did. - They open up and go for a bit at home but away from home play more conservatively. First goal will be important. I think it will stay 0-0 for a long time in the match.

This is important for both teams because if one of them loses, they start to hurtle towards the Bottom three and when you drop into the Relegation Zone, that's when players can start to lose belief in themselves, so hopefully that can be avoided in the coming weeks.

I initially thought it would be a Loss tonight but the more I think about it, I wish I had gone for a 0-0 scoreline because I think both clubs would be happy with a point here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Big game

With the fixtures we’ve had and the points return. Be handy to get 3 points today .

Point would be ok but need to start backing up and proving progression.

Defeat today and overall the start to the season has quite a few concerns

Really hoping we step up like Watford away

Geordies are confident but then understandable . These are big big games for teams that hope to stay up

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No chance - The Board and Management have to run with the Manager. They called the shots on it so they have to give it a fair crack of the whip.

Steve Bruce sets up and plays in a similar way to what both Raffa and CH did. - They open up and go for a bit at home but away from home play more conservatively. First goal will be important. I think it will stay 0-0 for a long time in the match.

This is important for both teams because if one of them loses, they start to hurtle towards the Bottom three and when you drop into the Relegation Zone, that's when players can start to lose belief in themselves, so hopefully that can be avoided in the coming weeks.

I initially thought it would be a Loss tonight but the more I think about it, I wish I had gone for a 0-0 scoreline because I think both clubs would be happy with a point here.

Not a chance Newcastle would be happy with a 0-0. They want and expect to win and win in a good attacking style .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not a chance Newcastle would be happy with a 0-0. They want and expect to win and win in a good attacking style .

That's the fans but I think Bruce just wants some steady points on the Board at the moment until he can get himself a bit of breathing space from the Bottom 3. Of course he will go for the win but I don't think he will be displeased with a draw

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Unfortunately, at this stage of the season, it feels like a must win. Without the 3 points we'd go to our next two games without much hope of getting anything with us propping up the table and heading to Villa, Everton and Norwich fixtures with pressure full on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
MATCH FACTS

Head to head.

Newcastle have never won a top-flight match against Brighton.

Oh balls then - only one possible outcome today.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here