Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone sweating on Thomas Cook?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With an international break again, anyone sweating on this weekends bailout? I had a choice of two holidays and chose Tui as I didn't trust TC. What a great desicion.
But surely now it's a catch 22 situation, they need bookings but who's going to book TC when they may go under?

You’ve not lived until your stuck on an island cause your operators gone bust. Happened to me when XL went to cleaners. Should have known, clue was sponsoring West Ham. Still, worse places to get stuck than Kefelonia. I felt more for the Greeks stuck in Crawley the other end...

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
You may be better off using up that £1,000 voucher pretty much immediately, just in case they do go down!

Its also valid on Inspire Travel that I know nothing about.....I though of putting a deposit on another TC holiday then if they do go bust ( and I hope they dont) the money should be returned but not as a gift card/ voucher. so could be used with TUI etc

Maybe I didn't explain its a voucher from 'select my reward' and can be used in many places but Im only really interested in a holiday.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
High street travel agents are fecked with the internet. They are nothing more than brochure collection points and these days, with so much on the internet even that is falling away. Package holidays are so last century, except upmarket stuff

Where do I start with this? I have my own Travel Business and it depends how you define "Package" as all that has changed with Regulation. I'm presuming you mean a company that only sells "package" holidays utilising it's own in house airline? Firstly the definition of package is any flight/hotel/car hire/tourist service where any 2 of those have been sold as a package at one price, via either a shop, over the phone or on one Internet website (yes Car Hire in Florida and Disney Tickets only now constitutes a package!) If you mean a packaged up holiday from the likes of Cooks, Tui or Jet2, both Cooks and Tui have been selling holidays utilising other airlines (Ryanair, Easyjet, Norwegian etc..) for a few years. Jet2 are essentially the only provider that only sells holidays with their own flights.

Appreciate Jet2 don't fly from south of Stansted but they have been growing like the clappers and are a reason (of many) why Cooks have been struggling. They now have an ATOL Licence to carry more passengers than Cooks! I'm based north of London and I sell so much Jet2 and hardly any Cooks. So I wouldn't necessarily say the traditional package is dead!

I do agree that the High Street is dead, all the Cooks shops and overheads and all their debt is the biggest contributory factor to their issues. Where it will end up - who knows, but us in the Trade could be in for a very busy couple of weeks....

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I have a 10-day holiday booked in the second half of October. The flight back is with Thomas Cook Airlines and I’m hoping that’s my only exposure.

Flight out is with Easyjet and I guess the hotel is organised through the company I booked with.

Think I need to give the documents a closer look though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here