Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone sweating on Thomas Cook?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With an international break again, anyone sweating on this weekends bailout? I had a choice of two holidays and chose Tui as I didn't trust TC. What a great desicion.
But surely now it's a catch 22 situation, they need bookings but who's going to book TC when they may go under?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
They don't need more bookings, insofar as they need £200 million-odd investment by next week, to unlock further securities from big banks like Lloyd's. A minor investor pulled out recently (I think), which made the banks trigger-happy and pull out from making further investments themselves.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is he a striker?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It could well have been a very close thing. I was looking at holidays in September and they seemed to be generally cheap. Maybe Thomas Cook knew something that the general public didn't.

With this good weather we're having, I bet there's a few regretful people now. Hopefully they get home safely.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It will be a collapse of Intasun/Clarksons proportions if they do go under.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Flew with them to Mexico recently and they were crap so not entirely surprised they're struggling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Flew with them to Mexico recently and they were crap so not entirely surprised they're struggling.

High street travel agents are fecked with the internet. They are nothing more than brochure collection points and these days, with so much on the internet even that is falling away. Package holidays are so last century, except upmarket stuff

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It will be a collapse of Intasun/Clarksons proportions if they do go under.

Clarksons, you like me have a very long memory, but yes it really will, and leaving only Tui as the only real major player in the bucket and spade market. Jet2 as well, but they only fly from Stansted in the south of England.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Hmmmm a little worried yes, we travel on Monday just for week, unselfishly I hope they find a solution before the Chinese grab it for peanuts, then break it up in to tiny pieces skim the cream and dump the rest.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Got back from Cuba with TC on wednesday......BUT also have a £1000 Thomas Cook gift voucher from work (a recruitment bonus) so hoping they stay afloat for next year.

Would it not make sense to get on and book something so that you would then be eligible for a refund from ATOL rather than be left holding a worthless voucher if they go out of business?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Poor company in my view and far cheaper to book with Travel Republic

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here