Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dullest match in the Premier League?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Telegraph's Football Nerd newsletter has our match against Newcastle down as potentially the weekend's dullest match! Though both us and Newcastle have of course changed manager since the last time we met :

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 12.55.06.png
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 12.55.20.png
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 12.55.29.png

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Palace v Wolverhampton has all the makings of an absolute snoozefest, I think our game will be an intruiging tactical battle between two progressive football teams, should be a good one.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What a stupid table is the "Premier League's dullest fixtures".

Of the 20 opposing teams mentioned, 8 aren't even in the PL at the moment.

The Man City vs Shunted figures are based on 6 matches dating 92-94 and 06-07...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Aston Villa vs Burnley

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So it'll be 4 - 5 then, can I change my prediction!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I couldn't give a flying fvck at a rolling donut whether any of the armchair brigade are entertained or not. I'd take another 1-0 BOREFEST up there like last seasons all day long.

Hopefully Glenn won't go breaking his neck again this time though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, this assumes that more goals ALWAYS = more exciting games, which is obviously bollocks.

I've seen many more exciting 1-0s,1-1s,2-1s than Man City or Liverpool battering someone 3-0 by halftime. Far rather watch an actual contest.

Footy Ramble also have this game as a 0-0.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH not surprising, have you seen the state of our finishing recently?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Also, this assumes that more goals ALWAYS = more exciting games, which is obviously bollocks.

I've seen many more exciting 1-0s,1-1s,2-1s than Man City or Liverpool battering someone 3-0 by halftime. Far rather watch an actual contest.

Footy Ramble also have this game as a 0-0.

its extremely narrow isn't it? almost like view of someone who's never watched football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Buts its Newcastle's Cup Final against the Championship Runners Up who have never forgiven Newcastle for pipping them to the title, and who always up their game against Newcastle........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that is why the Telegraph is no better quality than any tabloid these days - in terms of journalism and content. Why that table ^ includes Derby vs. Fulham / Bolton vs. Soton is beyond me.

I can't help thinking we should be grateful if does, or else we may we'll figure more than twice!!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Our last game against Newcastle was 1-1, doubling the most goals that had been scored in any of our other Premier League games against them. It was also the worst game I've seen between the the two.

Only children and Americans judge a sporting contest by the number of goals scored. We are a nation raised on test cricket, ninety minutes of stalemate holds no fear for us.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I can't help thinking we should be grateful if does, or else we may we'll figure more than twice!!!

One thing's for sure: no it won't be the dullest match this weekend if you're a Brighton or Geordie fan. Objectively speaking though, it will be the dullest if you are, say... the MotD producer team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One thing's for sure: no it won't be the dullest match this weekend if you're a Brighton or Geordie fan. Objectively speaking though, it will be the dullest if you are, say... the MotD producer team.

Seemingly that assumption gets made on Monday mornings!!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Jim from The football ramble had to predict a scorer in this game. He looked up and down the predicted teams and came to the conclusion that no goal scorer was a better bet than choosing anyone else.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The FA Cup match (which at the time was a shock) ended 2-0 over six years ago so that brings it up to 1.20.

These stats are there to be changed - about as relevant as the 4-2 win in 1990/91 with Brian Wade scoring all four goals.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ended 1-2 tomorrow and it's all blown out of the water. 11/2 on Brighton to win with both teams scoring. Could get bigger odds tomorrow.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here