Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Rugby World Cup 2019 Thread

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Fiji looking decent, this is a good game. They lead 12-14 as we near halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Comeback looking likely....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lucky France however there will be a couple of players banned for the next game, kicked off big time after final whistle

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well this is a first for me. In 40 years of watching rugby I've never seen a All Blacks side struggle so much to even get out of their own half. Fascinating so far.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I see the South Sea Island Polynesian Collective National team just beat Fiji. Apparently no Australians were involved. They should rename the World Cup ‘The Pacific Islanders, plus a few Argies, Irish and Welsh Cup’

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wals v Georgia very dull so far - the highlight being Dan Biggar missing a conversion from underneath the posts like a ten year old.

I alwsys find myself wanting Georgia to be good to watch, but they never are. They rarely look like they can do anything beyond rumble on in a maul with their forwards and then eventually kicking the ball miles in the air. Absolutely no invention, unlike say the Japansese or some of the Pacific island teams.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can somebody with a good understanding of the laws clarify a couple of points please?

Scrums, is it now acceptable to feed your own scrum? I'm guessing it must be on what I've seen so far. When did this law change?

Throw ins. No longer seem to be thrown down the middle, but with a bias to the side of the team throwing in. Are the "not straight" laws now binned as well?

It's almost rugby league standard with what seems to be set pieces that are not contested.

Personally think that both of the above detract from the competitiveness of Rugby Union.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can somebody with a good understanding of the laws clarify a couple of points please?

Scrums, is it now acceptable to feed your own scrum? I'm guessing it must be on what I've seen so far. When did this law change?

Throw ins. No longer seem to be thrown down the middle, but with a bias to the side of the team throwing in. Are the "not straight" laws now binned as well?

It's almost rugby league standard with what seems to be set pieces that are not contested.

Personally think that both of the above detract from the competitiveness of Rugby Union.

I was wondering about the line-out too - there have been a few throws in the WC that were decidedly not straight.

Scrums are slightly different: the law was changed a couple of years ago so the scrum half doesn't need to stand in the middle but can stand to his/her side (within a shoulder width). Again, however, there seem to be some liberal interpretations of this.

I can only think that refs have been told to lightly ref these - unless it's something so blatant

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Scrums - feeding isn't allowed but isn't enforced. Ref is typically looking for collapsing / wheeling rather than feeding.

Line-Outs - should be down the middle - the touch judge stands behind the hooker to ensure it is straight and blatant cheating will be picked up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funnily enough, these are two points we've been discussing at work. There have been some ludicrously bias line-outs, nowhere near straight - especially on Saturday morning. As for the scum, I thought the interpretation of the put in was changed a couple of years back. In terms of game flow I personally don't think that is unreasonable, because scrums collapsing and wheeling have been bigger issues that needed stamping out, plus the put-in ought to be a notable advantage IMO.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They did try to police feeding the scrum a few years ago (4 years ago perhaps) in the Premiership. The result was repeated re-set scrums, which completely ruined the spectator experience. It seems to now have been accepted that a scrum should be a relatively quick method of re-starting the match and hence feeding, whilst not allowed, goes unpoliced.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Really impressive performance by Uruguay, comfortably dealing with Fiji and with 20 mins to go 10 points up. Massive shock if this win this one I think and it looks likely bar a massive step up by Fiji

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here