Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Whats the best place for a breakfast in Old Shoreham area?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hope the Beach Bakery survives, it should as it is the first thing you come to from the bridge

You’d of thought pedestrian traffic from the beach will still go FerryRd way and that this development will take more from those who park up westwards...we will have to see

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I hope the Beach Bakery survives, it should as it is the first thing you come to from the bridge

This really is astonishing. Folks of Shoreham are going to fight this. I hear tell of sit down protests on the green and barricaded boycotting if it ever gets built. I will happily join the ranks. It’s obscene.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This really is astonishing. Folks of Shoreham are going to fight this. I hear tell of sit down protests on the green and barricaded boycotting if it ever gets built. I will happily join the ranks. It’s obscene.

It is all about the local economy now, first issue will be additional traffic and nowhere to park.........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is all about the local economy now, first issue will be additional traffic and nowhere to park.........

Parking, ruined views, the only green space on the beach gone forever, hundreds of newbies pouring in. It’s a disaster. Boils my piss.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I live in Shoreham and I think this is great. Looking forward to it opening.

Me too, everything else on Shoreham beach is crap. Ferry road has been an awful eyesore for decades.
It also nicely links the cycle/walk path to perch and Worthing. Also North via the tow path.

There is still, and always has been a large, usually empty car park next to beach green.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Me too, everything else on Shoreham beach is crap. Ferry road has been an awful eyesore for decades.
It also nicely links the cycle/walk path to perch and Worthing. Also North via the tow path.

There is still, and always has been a large, usually empty car park next to beach green.

In what way is Ferry Rd an eyesore..I’m interested in your comment re linking up with the tow path..there’s quite some distance between the two

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In what way is Ferry Rd an eyesore..I’m interested in your comment re linking up with the tow path..there’s quite some distance between the two

the parade of shops and flats are just delapidated and tatty . . . . presumably the freeholder does nothing and the flats/shops are all leasehold.

they have improved the walkway, but did F all about improving the road/access and parking . . . . totally missed a trick there.

from beach green it's a few hundred metres along the tow path to the road crossing by Dogs trust . . . . from there you are on the Adur rec and at the railway bridg, on to the new path alongside the airport . . . . to the toll bridge and north. only one road to cross. the A259.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
the parade of shops and flats are just delapidated and tatty . . . . presumably the freeholder does nothing and the flats/shops are all leasehold.

they have improved the walkway, but did F all about improving the road/access and parking . . . . totally missed a trick there.

from beach green it's a few hundred metres along the tow path to the road crossing by Dogs trust . . . . from there you are on the Adur rec and at the railway bridg, on to the new path alongside the airport . . . . to the toll bridge and north. only one road to cross. the A259.

HMM..ok....i dont think the shops are dilapidated personally....not so sure about the residential accommodation above....cant see them being an eyesore which that proposed building seems to be....re the link...i assume u cant get up onto the tow path from the car park and if so its not really a link for me

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't mind Ferry Road at all and I think that if they did anything to improve access/parking it would make it worse. I think there is a case for pedestrianising it, but I may be in the minority.

As for the new development? I have serious doubts, but I hope (in some ways) to be proved wrong. I can't see that it's high enough to get decent views over the beach huts and it's pointless comparing it to the Perch because the surroundings are completely different. Perch is on a main road, whereas this place, people will have to go out of there way to visit, by which time they could be half way TO the Perch!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Shoreham – a few thoughts

It’s loads better than it was. East Street and the bit around the footbridge is really pleasant

Stop being so precious about new people coming into Shoreham. There are plenty of coastal towns where the people are abandoning the town and the council are desperate to stem the flow let alone be able to attract young families

The new Beach Green building will be on the whole positive. The fact that there’s a dilapidated building which probably costs a bit to maintain meant that the Council had to do something. I haven’t heard any other proposals which wouldn’t cost the council a fortune.

Agree that the new developments are not high quality and will probably look ropey in 5 years and terrible in 20. Nationally we need to tackle the developer short term profit culture (or better just publicly build the homes we need)

Shoreham actually has some of the best public transport links of any of our local towns, ie very well positioned station, 700 and 2 buses. It’s also flatter than a lot of the other sussex towns, so should be good for cycling. But the traffic is pretty bad. A bit of focus on car ownership and use would go down well I’d say.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not far, just round the corner. Speaking of which, Hector's Shed is good if you can get a seat. They do a hearty plate of food.

I think If Warwick Davies get their way every building in Shoreham will be offices underneath and flats above.

What does an English actor, and a dwarf, have to with buying up Shoreham? :ohmy:

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Bit late for the OP I suppose but there's a new Café opposite Chambers called Samy's. It's good food cooked to order and it's well priced.

And we now have a greek café opposite near the Duke of Wellington.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They are building flats on that bit of land.
Developers will only build tall buildings now. And councils give them permission because the more you cram in, the more council tax comes pouring in.
That new one on Brighton road , Mariners Point or whatever they call it, have you seen how tiny the rooms and balconies are? Ridiculous. The whole West side of that building is sinking into the river though, that’s why they haven’t finished it.

The whole reason the council came up with this old legend about the 100 year storm was to fund building of the flood defences so developers could get insurance to build. Up on the west side the defences just stop when they reach land that cannot be built on because there is already existing houses there. Shysters.

O/T - My son, his girlfriend and their son live in Mariners' Point. It's a really nice two-bedroom flat with spacious rooms. Plus apparently they intend to move the yacht club back a bit and fit in a pavement on the southern side of the A259, This will be most welcome as currently there is no safe place to cross. (There's also talk of an additional pedestrian crossing by the Duke of Wellington which will help as well).

I take the point though about the general over-development in Shoreham, there seem to be flats going up everywhere and it could get very crowded. However the population of Britain is going up and up and up and up and the new homes have got to be built somewhere.

I know, I know - build 'em somewhere else, Shoreham doesn't have the infrastructure, it's spoiling the character, etc etc etc. Same argument everywhere in the south of England.

Just editing to add that Mariners' Point contains a lot of affordable housing. My son owns 25% of his flat and the rest is owned by a Housing association to whom he pays rent - so not all the newcomers are 'trendy wankers', some are just not that rich. There is no way he could have got anywhere in Brighton.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
O/T - My son, his girlfriend and their son live in Mariners' Point. It's a really nice two-bedroom flat with spacious rooms. Plus apparently they intend to move the yacht club back a bit and fit in a pavement on the southern side of the A259, This will be most welcome as currently there is no safe place to cross. (There's also talk of an additional pedestrian crossing by the Duke of Wellington which will help as well).

I take the point though about the general over-development in Shoreham, there seem to be flats going up everywhere and it could get very crowded. However the population of Britain is going up and up and up and up and the new homes have got to be built somewhere.

I know, I know - build 'em somewhere else, Shoreham doesn't have the infrastructure, it's spoiling the character, etc etc etc. Same argument everywhere in the south of England.

Just editing to add that Mariners' Point contains a lot of affordable housing. My son owns 25% of his flat and the rest is owned by a Housing association to whom he pays rent - so not all the newcomers are 'trendy wankers', some are just not that rich. There is no way he could have got anywhere in Brighton.

Good point..my daughter et al has benefited from a similar scheme elsewhere
..and yes over development is a common theme nearly everywhere..doesn’t mean you have to keep quiet about it ..seems quite a few didn’t but the local council as per usual ignored them

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Ferry Road has Into the Blue, which has in my opinion been consistently the best reastaurant in Shoreham over the last decade, it also has a decent pizza restaurant and a few interesting shops and cafes/takeaways. One or two do look a little run down. The over all look of the place, is not helped by retaining a couple of parking spaces at the Northern (Town end), something that a UKIP councillor dug his heels in over, a few years back.

My plan to improve traffic congestion in Shoreham is counter-intuitive. I think we need less parking spaces, in certain key places. Primarily this is along the town stretch of the A259, but there are other pockets, worthy of consideration. What I would like to see here is a limited number of spaces, which you can only drive straight into and not reverse. Largely dedicated to disabled drivers and otherwise on a very short limit and paid parking. I would like to see the bus pull-ins isolated from parking and watched over by ANPR cameras, with fines for anyone straying into these spaces.

I am not going to pretend I have never parked along here. What we all need is some help to break our habit, of believing we have somehow scored a personal victory by avoiding paying out 60p for parking. The victory worth celebrating is leaving you car at home for short journeys, in what is a relatively flat and pleasant area to walk or cycle. Bear in mind that there isn't a single shop along that stretch of road selling anything, that is too heavy to carry back to a car park.

This won't solve everything, but it will make a significant improvement. So much of the pain of driving through Shoreham is as a result of traffic waiting for drivers to reverse into a space too small for their massive car and for buses to load, where they can't get onto the bus stop, because someone is just nipping into the Co-op. Bear in mind that the Co-op with a free car park, is about two minutes away in a car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here