Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Justin Trudeau

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The end of crazy week what with Sam Smith going plural, we now get the Primeminister of Canada pictured at a college fancy dress party 18 years ago, having to apologise to the world's media for 'an error of judgement'.

I doubt the rank and file Canadians really care, and would probably like Mr Trudeau to get on with more pressing matters like running their country.

How far back are the 'PC' police going to go?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The end of crazy week what with Sam Smith going plural, we now get the Primeminister of Canada pictured at a college fancy dress party 18 years ago, having to apologise to the world's media for 'an error of judgement'.

I doubt the rank and file Canadians really care, and would probably like Mr Trudeau to get on with more pressing matters like running their country.

How far back are the 'PC' police going to go?

The Trudeau story has very little to do with 'the PC Police', and everything to do with his political opponents, using allies in the media to try to damage his credibility / image.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Trudeau story has very little to do with 'the PC Police', and everything to do with his political opponents, using allies in the media to try to damage his credibility / image.

Doesn't make it any better does it HK?

In some ways I'm glad I'm 55 and not 25.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Blackfacing' on two possibly three separate occasions has me wondering why he didn't try and get ahead of this.

There was no way the pictures weren't coming out.
There have been enough of these 'scandals' for him to add 'im no stranger to this myself', and control the situation.

He was in his mid 20's when photographed.
That in turn was the early 2000's, so it's tough for him to say 'different times'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Trudeau has been doing this "LOOK I LOVE ALL 87 GENDERS AND HATE RACISM"-shit to hide that he is very keen on taking a Bolsonaro approach to their environment and natural recources. Coming across as a ****ing saint by hugging peoples trendy perspectives while in the background destroying and burning everything, CLASSIC shit that history tells us always will work... because people are stupid.

Though the reasons are ridiculous, I'd be happy to see him fall.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Doesn't make it any better does it HK?

In some ways I'm glad I'm 55 and not 25.

To be honest - despite being a died-in-the-wool soppy liberal - I really don't get the outrage on this one specific issue, unless I have missed something.

Is the entire story, that a young white man, attended an Ali-Baba-themed fancy dress party two decades ago, dressed as Ali-Baba?

I understand that it is considered wrong to do so (now, in particular), but I can't really see the moral outrage. Was he making fun of another race? Was he denigrating them, or showing them in a bad light in some way? If he was then fair enough - I'll grab my burning torch.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest - despite being a died-in-the-wool soppy liberal - I really don't get the outrage on this one specific issue, unless I have missed something.

Is the entire story, that a young white man, attended an Ali-Baba-themed fancy dress party two decades ago, dressed as Ali-Baba?

I understand that it is considered wrong to do so (now, in particular), but I can't really see the moral outrage. Was he making fun of another race? Was he denigrating them, or showing them in a bad light in some way? If he was then fair enough - I'll grab my burning torch.

Certainly limits your fancy dress options these days. I guess going as a chinaman is equally unacceptable, I’ll just have to stick to Tommy Cooper. Then again I might be accused of denigrating North Africans. Is going in drag acceptable these days?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Had it been a one off fancy dress I would agree. However, the fact he blackfaced on more than one occasions makes it a little more difficult to defend.

What we do need to stop doing in society however is judging the past based on the standards of today. If we did, everyone was a racist, misogynist homophobe 50 years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Certainly limits your fancy dress options these days. I guess going as a chinaman is equally unacceptable, I’ll just have to stick to Tommy Cooper. Then again I might be accused of denigrating North Africans. Is going in drag acceptable these days?

Sorry, but no. Wearing a fez is definitely cultural appropriation.

Best that you dress as Alan Titchmarsh or Giles Brandreth.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
People make errors of judgement when younger and I doubt he thought he would be Prime Minister when that age.

Wasn't that long ago Prince Harry dressed up as a Nazi for a party, we have all forgiven him now

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
These days if you say you're English etc.

25 year olds in general have very little problem navigating the PC Police minefield of non-binary pop stars or what a foreign politician did 20 years ago, so I wouldn't worry too much about the millennials, OP.

I did laugh at 'crazy week' though, so thanks for that. I bet the PC Police are looking forward to putting their feet up this weekend after such a crazy week policing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

***cough***

great-indian-railway-journeys.jpg

***cough***

nickjhs

NSC Patreon
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
There are things I did years ago that I am not proud of. But the idea that these behaviours should define me now is ridiculous. We all change and hopefully grow, I for one am not the same "person" I was 30 years ago.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Trudeau has been doing this "LOOK I LOVE ALL 87 GENDERS AND HATE RACISM"-shit to hide that he is very keen on taking a Bolsonaro approach to their environment and natural recources. Coming across as a ****ing saint by hugging peoples trendy perspectives while in the background destroying and burning everything, CLASSIC shit that history tells us always will work... because people are stupid.

Though the reasons are ridiculous, I'd be happy to see him fall.

I sense that politically you are a little to the right. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People make errors of judgement when younger and I doubt he thought he would be Prime Minister when that age.

Wasn't that long ago Prince Harry dressed up as a Nazi for a party, we have all forgiven him now

Also there is a massive difference between impersonation for comedy or acting purposes (Michael Bates in 'It ain't alf ot mum' doesn't offend me even now - although Windsor Davies does - unfunny oaf) and 'blacking up' with white lipstic lips and googley eyes, and waving your hands around and singing 'mammy'. FFS.

surely not.jpg

Don't know enough about Trudeau as a man (albeit he has the eyes of psychopath and far too much charisma for my liking)to suggest he be burned, but his grave error of judgement seems a bit meh.

A great opportunity for the right to wheel this out as an example of liberal (left?) hypocrisy, though, or 'political correctness gone mad' - a double bubble, as they say on channel 5. :facepalm:

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
There are things I did years ago that I am not proud of. But the idea that these behaviours should define me now is ridiculous. We all change and hopefully grow, I for one am not the same "person" I was 30 years ago.

It's interesting how I was only thinking this earlier.

'Blacking up' is not racist in itself but does align itself with a practise that was designed in a derogatory manner. The term 'racism' is a political football these days. We see it in Canada at present.

For good reason though, his actions would be condemned in the modern age. 20 years ago not. So, given that he was a mere product of social attitudes at the time, my simple question would be how he feels about it now. I think, like most of us, he is sincere.

We are all products of our environment. It is how we change and make better that matters.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

:lolol:

Cultural appropriation is one thing I still hold out against. If I want dreadlocks I'll have them. Then again, perhaps I'll leave that one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here