Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Justin Trudeau

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Meanwhile over here in the US the chosen one continues to get the full backing of the Evangelicals who have never let a little thing like the moral high ground get in the way of getting their man elected. Funny old world

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
The end of crazy week what with Sam Smith going plural, we now get the Primeminister of Canada pictured at a college fancy dress party 18 years ago, having to apologise to the world's media for 'an error of judgement'.

I doubt the rank and file Canadians really care, and would probably like Mr Trudeau to get on with more pressing matters like running their country.

How far back are the 'PC' police going to go?

Too true- ridiculous

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
1B778BB4-C879-462B-971F-2EE9CA3647CC.jpeg

Lenny Henry actually said something funny.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Meanwhile over here in the US the chosen one continues to get the full backing of the Evangelicals who have never let a little thing like the moral high ground get in the way of getting their man elected. Funny old world

It falls on certain Republican leaders who have not fulfilled their obligation of a check on a popular president (at least within the party, so far), McConnell, former speaker Ryan, Graham, Blunt, Thune, McCarthy, Scalise and Greg Pence (the VP's brother). Many of these are in very powerful positions but extremely quiet.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I have to admit the headline "Trudeau can't remember how often he wore blackface" was hilarious. I'm sure that's a problem that most of us have.

The problem is not what he did in the past, however dumb: it's the (mostly online) apportioning of "saintly" status to some individuals and "evil" to others. Trudeau's team were happy to play along with his "woke" image, but this does suggest it was mostly just seizing a media opportunity.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it is snowing again . The world has gone mad .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Come on! I grew up in an era blessed with a multitude of outrageously untalented comedians that make Lenny Henry seem like the Master of Sarcasm and Wit. For example

FPF.jpg

my_name_is_harry_worth.jpg

bern him.jpg

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I'm genuinely confused by a lot of the fuss made with this stuff - by which I mean judging people's behaviour in the past by today's standards, and assuming that today's standards are final and correct. No doubt some people did some very naughty things years ago, and some have been rightly vilified after their death or indeed locked up for a long time if still alive.

Can you imagine going into the history of let's say a ficticious rock band called, oh I dunno, the Strolling Bones, and seeing if they did anything a bit off the wall with young, innocent groupies about half a century ago.

Or could you imagine examining the history of the BBC to see if they ever ran a prime time Saturday night show called the Black and White Minstrels ? Any ancient executives from the BBC been locked up for that one yet ?? Or how about Love Thy Neighbour, or Alf Garnett. Terrible, and thoroughly gross by today's standards, but perfectly acceptable and even considered funny once upon a time.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'm genuinely confused by a lot of the fuss made with this stuff - by which I mean judging people's behaviour in the past by today's standards, and assuming that today's standards are final and correct. No doubt some people did some very naughty things years ago, and some have been rightly vilified after their death or indeed locked up for a long time if still alive.

Can you imagine going into the history of let's say a ficticious rock band called, oh I dunno, the Strolling Bones, and seeing if they did anything a bit off the wall with young, innocent groupies about half a century ago.

Or could you imagine examining the history of the BBC to see if they ever ran a prime time Saturday night show called the Black and White Minstrels ? Any ancient executives from the BBC been locked up for that one yet ?? Or how about Love Thy Neighbour, or Alf Garnett. Terrible, and thoroughly gross by today's standards, but perfectly acceptable and even considered funny once upon a time.
But all of that stuff had been stopped by the mid-80s. Trudeau's unknown number of black-face appearances hadn't even started then. He can't get out by saying no-one knew it might be offensive in 2001.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Had it been a one off fancy dress I would agree. However, the fact he blackfaced on more than one occasions makes it a little more difficult to defend.

What we do need to stop doing in society however is judging the past based on the standards of today. If we did, everyone was a racist, misogynist homophobe 50 years ago.

You must accept that some people are invited to more than one fancy dress party in their life

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here