Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Justin Trudeau

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
'Blackfacing' on two possibly three separate occasions has me wondering why he didn't try and get ahead of this.

There was no way the pictures weren't coming out.
There have been enough of these 'scandals' for him to add 'im no stranger to this myself', and control the situation.

He was in his mid 20's when photographed.
That in turn was the early 2000's, so it's tough for him to say 'different times'.

And yet, in more recent times, we have had Walliams and Lucas "blacking up" for many characters in Little Britain and Come Fly With Me without any complaint or censure whatsoever.

Different times?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And yet, in more recent times, we have had Walliams and Lucas "blacking up" for many characters in Little Britain and Come Fly With Me without any complaint or censure whatsoever.

Different times?

Walliams and Lucas don't have political enemies with friends in positions of media influence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He’s ****ed and won’t survive this. White male and privileged. People despise him enough for that, this is just the cherry on the cake of hate all virtuous liberals will be scoffing at his wake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This fella is still the Governor of Virginia:-

governor-virginia-resign-yearbook-photo-1.730x0-is.jpg

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
The 'Conservative Twins' on YouTube have done a good video in this. Worth a watch.

I am more offended at the insistance of using "peoplekind" as an alternative to mankind. According to the twins he is 30 in one of those pictures. At least he didnt **** a pig though.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
The end of crazy week what with Sam Smith going plural, we now get the Primeminister of Canada pictured at a college fancy dress party 18 years ago, having to apologise to the world's media for 'an error of judgement'.

I doubt the rank and file Canadians really care, and would probably like Mr Trudeau to get on with more pressing matters like running their country.

How far back are the 'PC' police going to go?

I can remember many evenings at Fancy dress parties when clothing and colour of skin was used to represent well known characters, there was no question of insulting anyone purely copying their style, I at times had a very good Henry the Eight costume with stuffing but in no way was i trying to insult the Royal Family.
We must ignore the PC brigade

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Walliams and Lucas don't have political enemies with friends in positions of media influence.

And yet Walliams was criticised for yellowing up doing a fancy dress as Kim Jong Un and Lucas has said he wouldnt do it again if little Britain was remade. But they arent telling everyone else how to behave so naturally wont have as much exposure over it.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Both Justin and his younger brother were born on Dec. 25th. A cartoon in the Toronto Daily Star at the time depicted PM Pierre Trudeau pointing a finger Heavenwards and calling out 'Hey you up there, two to one'
Nothing to do with blackface, but the recollection amused me.
Coat please Jeeves

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol:

Cultural appropriation is one thing I still hold out against. If I want dreadlocks I'll have them. Then again, perhaps I'll leave that one.

All in favour of cultural appropriation. The Police would have had no career without it. Indeed, Copeland totally changed the sound of contemporary music by replacing the thump thump thump rock/pop drumming with the off the beat reggae stylee. *cough* Burn Him! *cough* :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And yet Walliams was criticised for yellowing up doing a fancy dress as Kim Jong Un and Lucas has said he wouldnt do it again if little Britain was remade. But they arent telling everyone else how to behave so naturally wont have as much exposure over it.

I understand the argument that employing white actors and blacking/yellowing/redding them up to play Africans, Chinese or native Americans is wrong. But the reason is quite subtle. It isn't simply 'racist'. Back in the 60s major British movies and TV programmes commonly had white actors 'coloured' up. They probably argued at the time a 'shortage of suitable actors'. At best it looked absurd. No doubt it pleased racists in the business, but in itself it would be racist only if actors who looked more like the parts they would be playing had been auditioned and turned down. Just as it would be sexist if men dragged up to play women because the casting director thought the blokes auditioning were better suited to play the women characters than women actors (because women are inferior). It all sounds a bit weird when you think about it.

None of this has anything to do with a comedian 'yellowing up' for comedy purposes. It is either funny or it isn't. Anyone objecting is a hypocrite unless they argue equally forcefully that Walliams 'dragging it up' to play 'Miss Emily' ("I'm a laydee!!") is sexist. Likewise Paul O'Grady is a sexist ******* for playing Lily Savage. And don't start me on Danny La Rue.

Back to Trudeau. I saw the NDP MP, a sikh, making merry with it, on the news (for party political purposes). As I admired his flawless North American accent, I couldn't help wondering whether he could be argued to have 'culturally appropriated' this, and whether I was being racist for considering it. Mmmmm....trivialising racism to score small political points has always struck me as counterproductive, and the 'anti-PC' reaction it evokes actually encourages genuine racists. To win a war you need to choose the right battles.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All in favour of cultural appropriation. The Police would have had no career without it. Indeed, Copeland totally changed the sound of contemporary music by replacing the thump thump thump rock/pop drumming with the off the beat reggae stylee. *cough* Burn Him! *cough* :facepalm:

Some of which he openly admits, he nicked off Lewes's own Pete Thomas. Now there's cultural misappropriation :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Half of UB40 would have been sacked too. And The Specials.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of which he openly admits, he nicked off Lewes's own Pete Thomas. Now there's cultural misappropriation :wink:

and the fella responsible for the bass line on Walk on the Wild Side lives in Ditching.

That's quite an impact in music over the space of 3 or 4 rural Sussex miles.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
and the fella responsible for the bass line on Walk on the Wild Side lives in Ditching.

That's quite an impact in music over the space of 3 or 4 rural Sussex miles.

A pedant may say both bass lines on Walk on the wild side :wink:

And the bloke who plays drums on Baker Street lives in Hastings :thumbsup:

(Ok, stretching it a bit)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I understand the argument that employing white actors and blacking/yellowing/redding them up to play Africans, Chinese or native Americans is wrong. But the reason is quite subtle. It isn't simply 'racist'. Back in the 60s major British movies and TV programmes commonly had white actors 'coloured' up. They probably argued at the time a 'shortage of suitable actors'. At best it looked absurd. No doubt it pleased racists in the business, but in itself it would be racist only if actors who looked more like the parts they would be playing had been auditioned and turned down. Just as it would be sexist if men dragged up to play women because the casting director thought the blokes auditioning were better suited to play the women characters than women actors (because women are inferior). It all sounds a bit weird when you think about it.

None of this has anything to do with a comedian 'yellowing up' for comedy purposes. It is either funny or it isn't. Anyone objecting is a hypocrite unless they argue equally forcefully that Walliams 'dragging it up' to play 'Miss Emily' ("I'm a laydee!!") is sexist. Likewise Paul O'Grady is a sexist ******* for playing Lily Savage. And don't start me on Danny La Rue.

Back to Trudeau. I saw the NDP MP, a sikh, making merry with it, on the news (for party political purposes). As I admired his flawless North American accent, I couldn't help wondering whether he could be argued to have 'culturally appropriated' this, and whether I was being racist for considering it. Mmmmm....trivialising racism to score small political points has always struck me as counterproductive, and the 'anti-PC' reaction it evokes actually encourages genuine racists. To win a war you need to choose the right battles.

Very good points.

The word 'racist' has been so diluted that it becomes almost meaningless these days.

Much of what is described as 'racist' is, in fact, cultural stereo-typing or accidental ignorance. So education is required and not political point scoring.

I think most of the new understandings have great value to them. Society is so much better for this than when I grew up. The problem for me is the entrenchment of political wings on this matter which negates sensible discourse. No-one can raise a point for validation without fear of being called out by those who wish to justify themselves to their high horse.

Context and intent can do one.

This means the PPFs of this world steal ammunition from the void and, more disturbingly, extra followers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Different times?

There should have been censure. LB was rubbish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very good points.

The word 'racist' has been so diluted that it becomes almost meaningless these days.

Much of what is described as 'racist' is, in fact, cultural stereo-typing or accidental ignorance. So education is required and not political point scoring.

I think most of the new understandings have great value to them. Society is so much better for this than when I grew up. The problem for me is the entrenchment of political wings on this matter which negates sensible discourse. No-one can raise a point for validation without fear of being called out by those who wish to justify themselves to their high horse.

Context and intent can do one.

This means the PPFs of this world steal ammunition from the void and, more disturbingly, extra followers.

Spot on. I especially like the fact thngs are so much better these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here