Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Wolves FINNISHED ?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
What has gone wrong there ? Meant to be top 6 yet a shocking start in the league and now losing at home to poor Portuguese club Braga in the EL

Not sure I'd call Braga a poor club. They have a great stadium and have qualified for European competition a number of times in recent years. Nice city as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last night was Wolves' 7th game in Europe already this season, and they'll have played a total of 12 extra European games this side of Christmas. An extra 12 games in the space of half a season.

Basically if you're in the Europa, you're almost playing to a Championship schedule but with the intensity of trying to compete at the very top level in the PL. I don't have any sympathy, as they're monied enough to put a squad together to cope. But shoe-horning all those extra European games in, with less recovery time between games, and all that additional travel is bound to have an effect. How can it not ?

I'd dearly love to see BHA compete in Europe before I cark it, but its definitely a burden.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Which raises a bigger question

What is the point in the premier? Most clubs want to finish above the bottom 3 and not get tanked by the top 6. So for the “likes of Brighton’ and wolves etc” if finishing in a position to play in Europe is a poison chalice, then there is no point in aspiring to finish anywhere near that.

Or is the point of Brighton and hove Albion just to remain in the premier so our younger fans can get to see the big clubs and international players play at our ground?

I have no idea what football is all about these days.

You've hit the nail on the head. Which is why many of us really didn't want another season of awful football. If there's nothing to aspire to, at least make the football good to watch.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Which raises a bigger question

What is the point in the premier? Most clubs want to finish above the bottom 3 and not get tanked by the top 6. So for the “likes of Brighton’ and wolves etc” if finishing in a position to play in Europe is a poison chalice, then there is no point in aspiring to finish anywhere near that.

Or is the point of Brighton and hove Albion just to remain in the premier so our younger fans can get to see the big clubs and international players play at our ground?

I have no idea what football is all about these days.

Money. If you have a good team, The Championship is the most fun league to be in but you also lose money each week with no hope of getting it back if you stay in that league. In the PL with £2 million per place up for grabs, a top 10 finish can be worth an extra £16 million. Presumably it also mean more wins for the fans too although not necessarily fun football to watch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last night was Wolves' 7th game in Europe already this season, and they'll have played a total of 12 extra European games this side of Christmas. An extra 12 games in the space of half a season.

Basically if you're in the Europa, you're almost playing to a Championship schedule but with the intensity of trying to compete at the very top level in the PL. I don't have any sympathy, as they're monied enough to put a squad together to cope. But shoe-horning all those extra European games in, with less recovery time between games, and all that additional travel is bound to have an effect. How can it not ?

I'd dearly love to see BHA compete in Europe before I cark it, but its definitely a burden.

Point of order.

Because they are playing in Europe, they get to miss an extra round of the Carabooo Cup, so it is only actually ELEVEN extra games :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Point of order.

Because they are playing in Europe, they get to miss an extra round of the Carabooo Cup, so it is only actually ELEVEN extra games :thumbsup:

A pedant writes:

Its 12 extra European games. I wasn't even counting the The Caramac Cup :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A pedant writes:

Its 12 extra European games. I wasn't even counting the The Caramac Cup :thumbsup:

Well that is just SILLY. The European games are by definition EXTRA. That is a truism.

Your suggestion obviously intimated that they would play 12 MORE games. They don't.

#SticksOutTongue

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think the Euro Cup ruins League form is a little lazy.

I do wonder if it's more to do with reverting back to the norm, after one season out performing expectations.

But as I'm sure as hell not going to do any research, I guess I shouldn't be tarnishing anyone with the lazy brush.

I think you're right to an extent, it doesn't automatically ruin league form but if you have other contributing factors then it adds a bit of fuel to fires that you're trying to put out.

In Wolves' case their squad isn't big enough and they're already in bad form. If they pick up any injuries I think they'll be in a bit of trouble.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well that is just SILLY. The European games are by definition EXTRA. That is a truism.

Your suggestion obviously intimated that they would play 12 MORE games. They don't.

#SticksOutTongue

HUH ?

Before Christmas, Wolves are going to be playing 12 additional games in Europe that we are not. Hence - they'll be playing at least 12 games MORE than us. More = Extra.

#amImissingsomething ???

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

#SticksOutTongue

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 12.41.16.png

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
HUH ?

Before Christmas, Wolves are going to be playing 12 additional games in Europe that we are not. Hence - they'll be playing at least 12 games MORE than us. More = Extra.

#amImissingsomething ???

What HKFC is trying to say is that they did have, as you say 12 euro games which is 12 more than us, but they had a bye in the league cup where we played hence only 11 extra/more games than us.

I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here