Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone interview in the Athletic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all. Chief Exec of the Private Bank I used to work for said once said (to a room full of senior managers) 'it's better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team'

Very wise.

Brilliant

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Well NSC has certainly spoken on this one! Has any player (barring Leon Best, who was on loan) ever been so universally castigated on here who wasn’t Zaha? I 100% trust Potter’s judgement and shipping Andone out sounds like the right call, but Jesus, what a bitch hunt.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Don't want players like that at my club.

We would have known he was like that in the summer though and should have recruited and managed departures whilst the transfer window was open

Right. Bin the two of them off in the summer - with Ali J who seems out of favour - get a fee and reinvest the proceeds. The timing was where it all went so badly wrong.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well NSC has certainly spoken on this one! Has any player (barring Leon Best, who was on loan) ever been so universally castigated on here who wasn’t Zaha? I 100% trust Potter’s judgement and shipping Andone out sounds like the right call, but Jesus, what a bitch hunt.

Akpom?The only player wearing the stripes I have ever actually booed

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

It is, and I'm not quite getting it. Not the first player to have an exaggerated opinion on his own abilities, is he? In fact, cockiness is a desirable feature in a striker. There would be something wrong if he didn't think he should be starting every match. Probably all for the best though, his disciplinary record is poor, and for that reason I agree with Potter offloading him.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To a point. But if he really did get himself sent off deliberately against Saints in order to force through a move, costing us 3 points that we really could have done with thank you very much, then probably best for all that he doesn't come 'home'

I don't buy that tbf to him. There are better ways of getting sent off than chancing breaking someones leg after 30 mins. A cynical tackle and then abusing the ref would have done it. I would have thought though that winning a start against Man City in the Prem would have been the main focus at the time for him but the red card and not playing hastened his desire to leave while an offer was there.

It was quite a good deal for us too, with not much time to decide, with the £600k in the bank and £45 a week saved it was a very good bit of convenient business. If he returns it will be for the right reasons.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Agree.

The criticism is and ill feeling is way OTT. It hasn't worked out for him here, that's just football. He hasn't even said anything that bad in the interview. One could argue that he was mismanaged last season by an ever more risk averse Hughton. Andone hasn't handled it very well and his sending off was idiotic but people seem to be forgetting anything good that he's done for us.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Bernardo doesn’t want him back either :wink:

Andone is a ****. We have a new manager who played him in the first two matches, one as a scoring sub and the other where he got himself sent off. How did he work out he deserved to play more when everything had changed from last season anyway :shrug:
I saw a video interview with Andone post Watford where he declared how he "loved Bernardo" - translation issues obviously but clearly expressing what good mates they were.

Then we hear how hated he was. All very odd. Perhaps Bernardo was the only one who didn't tell Andone what he thought of him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw a video interview with Andone post Watford where he declared how he "loved Bernardo" - translation issues obviously but clearly expressing what good mates they were.

Then we hear how hated he was. All very odd. Perhaps Bernardo was the only one who didn't tell Andone what he thought of him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I jest, it was just following on from the kick. I’ve also seen a couple of photos where they appeared to be good mates. We don’t know the story behind the kick it could quite easily have been mates pissing about over something said before they walked onto the pitch :shrug:

Really disappointing end to Andone’s Albion career, if this had happened in say January I’d have had way more sympathy for him.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hardly a surprise - on page 75 of the Burnley programme on Saturday, Solly March is interviewed for 'My Albion' and the following is asked:

And the dressing room diva...

He has now gone out on loan - Florin Andone. He's the biggest diva.

In case you're wondering, there are 2 definitions of diva and I suspect Solly wasn't implying the first:

1. a celebrated female opera singer.
2. a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please (typically used of a woman).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I dont think anybody is disputing the clubs actions but more the wisdom of letting both strikers go without an available adequate replacement for either.

Compared to last season’s squad Maupay has replaced Andone and Connelly has replaced Locadia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Talking of fans, this is the first time you have referred to the Albion as 'we' AFAIK. Are we now above Swansea in your allegiance and if so, is there another club, Swedish or otherwise, above us? :)

Been thinking about this now... you know what.. I feel like a dirty little whore but I do care more about Brighton than Swansea now. But I'm still Potter's bitch. When (if?) he goes, I go as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

As I’ve said a few times he’s a red card waiting to happen on the pitch.

Given the jealousy of Murray that drips from that interview I’d be amazed if he was ice cool in training - and, if he was, that’s possibly even more psycho.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Been thinking about this now... you know what.. I feel like a dirty little whore but I do care more about Brighton than Swansea now. But I'm still Potter's bitch. When (if?) he goes, I go as well.

It’s definitely a “when”. Doing as well as or worse than Hughton is not acceptable. Taking us to the next level opens up big jobs in Europe or internationally IMHO.

We’ve had manager bitches before on here but [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] had the grace to hang around for a while after CH went and furnished the board with well informed posts. Consider the bar set.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here