Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Steve Harley,CR. Come up AND SEE ME.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
saw him at a sold out Royal Albert Hall about 5 years ago. Brilliant show (to CR fans).

Did you know SH spent his early years living in Hangleton Road after being diagnosed with polio (and as he says "and since then I've been lugging this f'ing leg around")

Just enjoy the tune,unless you write,play and perform even better ?
I was having a go at you, not this guy! I've only just twigged that he's the bloke from Cockney Rebel. I'm 61, and if I didn't get what CR stood for, how do you think the younger generation
would?
Anyway, no hard feelings, and maybe you'd appreciate me posting this

https://youtu.be/ptFegqTOYYc

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great song when it came out. I have just watched the video from 1975 - cool, understated and timeless.

The live video posted by the OP is like a pub singer destroying the song karaoke style.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We do a version of this and I play the middle guitar solo on my sax, unconventional but seems to work.(guitarist is to lazy to learn it.)

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I was having a go at you, not this guy! I've only just twigged that he's the bloke from Cockney Rebel. I'm 61, and if I didn't get what CR stood for, how do you think the younger generation
would?
Anyway, no hard feelings, and maybe you'd appreciate me posting this

https://youtu.be/ptFegqTOYYc

"No hard feelings" Strange when you consider what advert his most famous song is used for !

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
We do a version of this and I play the middle guitar solo on my sax, unconventional but seems to work.(guitarist is to lazy to learn it.)

Why would your guitarist want to learn the sax? Hasn't he got enough to do?

boik

Well I much prefer New Wave but that is dreadful. It completely murders the song! I presume you are being sarcastic about it being his favourite version.

Each to their own. This is a direct quote from Mr Harley himself.....

Yeah, it was, it was. That song is finger pointing… and The Wedding Present totally got it. They played it accordingly. I’ve met people who’ve worked for The Wedding Present – crew or whatever – and I always say “please do say hello to the band, to David [Gedge]. Please do tell him that really is my favourite version of that song”… And it is! It is a very very good record.

This may be of interest. In 1978 I bought BR's second album (see what I did there? :))

https://youtu.be/CUuYASsLFYM
Hearing the main instrumental for the first time on this track at 1:40 took me straight back to the one in Make Me Smile (1:50 on the version in my post above). Do you think there is anything more than a passing resemblance?

I do love songs which are broken up in the middle with brilliance such as appears on this pair.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here