NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How much are palace paying for this numbers?:-

[tweet]1174206019980922880[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have been discussing their inevitable slump and demise for years and yet they still finish every season above us whilst often beating top six teams, often when they are in trouble in the league too. Can they just hurry up and crash and burn please. Irritating club

Sell Zaha and their debts disappear.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
So how do they stop haemorrhaging so much money?

Off load some salaries from their wage bill with little return (Meyer? Benteke?) (possible)
Increase match day revenue. (difficult)
Sell some players with any value in January (Milivojevic? Zaha? Townsend?). (possible)
Double down and gamble on improving their Premier League status and borrow £100million for a new stand. (high risk if they can somehow raise the finance)
Find new owners to inject more money but with little prospect of any return (unlikely)

From where I'm sitting things aren't looking too rosey at The Stad de Clad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how do they stop haemorrhaging so much money?

Slowly phase out their high earning 'stars' and replace them with players they have developed from the yoof set up.
Those who are currently learning their trade in the Champions League, Superliga, international duty, the Championship and in Germany.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I'm guesstimating BHA were losing between £80-100,000 per week but with some recent loan moves that figure will reduce to nearly break even.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...312-million-profit-to-%A313m-loss-last-season

~250K per week has been speculated.

Basically if we can ship out Locadia, or Andone etc. in January or the summer then we will rein that loss in.

Potter making noises, in today’s Argus, about potentially bring the Romanian Psycho back in January if he does well. I guess this will be cover if we find ourselves light on forwards who are finding the net and can’t get anyone better in the January window?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"...you broke your own club, you stupid ********..."

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Looks like they may have to sell the worlds greatest player to balance the books. Shame

It does show how next to impossible it is to bridge the gap to the top sides it is. Paying top money without the means to generate it is suicide and shows why things such as the hotel are essential if we want to do the same.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Still predicted to be losing £42m a year then, despite getting £50m for Obi-Wan Bissaka (over a 5 year deal, so presumably they'll be getting £10m a year from Man Utd). Maybe they'll have to cash their chips in on the SEGW soon, he's not getting any younger. Or better.

Not sure it works like that. From an accounting perspective you can spread the cost of a player over the period of their contract but in terms of paying for them, that will be down to the agreement with the selling club. CP could have demanded payment in two installments or one or several more. If I'm wrong I'm sure EP will correct me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure it works like that. From an accounting perspective you can spread the cost of a player over the period of their contract but in terms of paying for them, that will be down to the agreement with the selling club. CP could have demanded payment in two installments or one or several more. If I'm wrong I'm sure EP will correct me.

I'm sure there are a variety of deals agreed between clubs regarding the payment of transfer fees. Lump sums up front plus x amount by whenever etc. AWB's fee was £45m plus £5m of add-ons, probably related to PL appearances, England caps and all that. I gather its quite standard for transfer fee payments to be spread over the duration of the contract though, as opposed to the misconception that the whole lot is paid in one go up-front.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
It's getting to the point now where, to be anything like competitive in this league over time for clubs the size of Palace and ourselves, the losses you have to wrack up are equal to the cost of losses to be found when trying to escape the Championship. Might make some championship clubs think again about the 'golden ticket'. Wait till we have been in this league for however long it is that palace have managed to survive, I bet our wage bill etc. at that point will be similar. It is creeping up every year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's getting to the point now where, to be anything like competitive in this league over time for clubs the size of Palace and ourselves, the losses you have to wrack up are equal to the cost of losses to be found when trying to escape the Championship. Might make some championship clubs think again about the 'golden ticket'. Wait till we have been in this league for however long it is that palace have managed to survive, I bet our wage bill etc. at that point will be similar. It is creeping up every year.

That maybe the case, but I'll also bet the club will be offsetting that increase with considerable better use of it's assets.

It's hard to imagine Mr Bloom & Mr Barber being held to ransom by one player who knows he's bigger than the club.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
]
It's hard to imagine Mr Bloom & Mr Barber being held to ransom by one player who knows he's bigger than the club.
Not too hard to imagine...

amex-stadium-south-stand.jpg

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
That maybe the case, but I'll also bet the club will be offsetting that increase with considerable better use of it's assets.

Don't disagree, but in the meantime Mr Bloom has to keep digging deep to fund the whole thing and that shouldn't be taken for granted. But you are right, there appears to be a plan at play, with a number of saleable assets over the coming years, either coming though the academy or through the international purchases (Tau, MacAllister). Hoping it works out.

The 50m for Wan Bissaka is not included in those accounts and as they made no effort to spend that money their finances will look much better this year. Next year Zaha will be gone so probably a similar amount or more will offset that year too.

In my mind the biggest difference between the clubs is the fact that Bloom has done nothing but fund this club. Disney is the opposite, with an annual salary, rental income and other business drains on the club of significant amounts. Quite how that fact escapes the morons up the road eludes me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the last count, Palace's wages to turnover is just shy of 80% (ours is around 56%).

As long as we keep control of that figure and don't go completely booloo on transfer fees, then the gargantuan dollops of TV revenue we get should help keep us on a relatively even keel. The amount of spending in the Championship is simply nowhere near counterbalanced by the revenues coming in, which is why everyone is so desperate to jump on this mental gravy train.

Huddersfield received more in revenue last season for finishing bottom (£97m) than Bayern Munich (£88m) and Juventus (£76m) received for being Champions. The money in the EPL truly is bonkers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You know you're in the sh1t when you sell your best players and that still isn't enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here