Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Atmosphere in Premier League matches

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Interesting discussion in the Hamburg vs St Pauli thread.

So.. while I do understand not everyone likes pyro stuff, I'm a bit curious a lot of people seem to think that the often almost quiet supporter culture is seen by some as a good or at least acceptable thing.

People make fun of German fan culture where a lot of the teams supporters sing and jump for 90 minutes. "They dont care what happens on the pitch", they say, which is of course utter bullshit. Watching Brighton I hear more booing than singing, is that the common feeling about how supporter culture should be?

I understand that football sort of makes people a bit nationalistic. You dont want to admit your own football culture got flaws. And I imagine the people who can afford to go to games these days come from a class that call the authorities if kids laugh too much in the playground, but still... doesnt it sound the least bit exciting to be part of 30, 40 or 50 000 people passionately singing about your team for 90 minutes?

I remember about ten-fifteen years or so a lot of people reacted to how supporter culture in the UK was changing. This seems to be completely dead now. People have accepted the modern PL (and Championship for that matter), they seem to have accepted that 3000 away fans from Czech Republic, Sweden or wherever for 90 minutes can outsing the home team in European games.

What are you blethering on about, man? One should show valour and stoicism whilst exercising self restraint.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
A return of terracing (and the price drop that this would allow) would be a massive step forward. But we're so paranoid after Hillsborough that this is taking forever.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A return of terracing (and the price drop that this would allow) would be a massive step forward. But we're so paranoid after Hillsborough that this is taking forever.

Terracing won't reduce prices.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not at all convinced that the atmosphere at the Amex isn’t pretty well exactly what it was at the Goldstone. Play well, make chances, score goals win games, it’s loud and buzzing. Don’t make chances, don’t score, lose or draw most games it’s flat. Make chances, don’t take too many but play decent football but don’t win and it’s up and down with quite a bit of moaning and groaning but occasionally loud

I really don’t remember the Goldstone being any different, so not sure where “the atmosphere has changed” comes from :shrug:

Sure there is less violence and aggro in the ground, but this is a good thing surely and all down to policing and cctv surely?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
More people in the same sized area? You do the math.

If you're talking about safe standing Paul Barber has said many times that it wouldn't increase the capacity at all. They'd just install railings.

The days of terraces as they were before are long gone.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is my feeling too. My first games where in the mid-eighties and it was always empty and depressing but from what I’ve heard we’ve never been that loud. Most of our most popular chants are slow and hardly rousing. Just the way it is- never gonna be Anfield on a European night and certainly never going to be Bundesliga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I am not at all convinced that the atmosphere at the Amex isn’t pretty well exactly what it was at the Goldstone. Play well, make chances, score goals win games, it’s loud and buzzing. Don’t make chances, don’t score, lose or draw most games it’s flat. Make chances, don’t take too many but play decent football but don’t win and it’s up and down with quite a bit of moaning and groaning but occasionally loud

I really don’t remember the Goldstone being any different, so not sure where “the atmosphere has changed” comes from :shrug:

Sure there is less violence and aggro in the ground, but this is a good thing surely and all down to policing and cctv surely?
The atmosphere at The Amex isn't a touch on the Goldstone.
When the South Stand at the Goldstone was all standing along with the North you had a cracking atmosphere
I remember John Still saying it was one of the most intimidating grounds to play at.
Evening games were even better then and no one would be leaving the ground on 80 minutes in those days no matter what League we were playing in

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The atmosphere at The Amex isn't a touch on the Goldstone.
When the South Stand at the Goldstone was all standing along with the North you had a cracking atmosphere
I remember John Still saying it was one of the most intimidating grounds to play at.
Evening games were even better then and no one would be leaving the ground on 80 minutes in those days no matter what League we were playing in

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I think you are remembering days when we steamrollered sides on our journey to the First division, once we got there the atmosphere was seldom the same in imo and went right off as we slid through the divisions.

We haven’t won at the Amex for months so the atmosphere is much diminished from our promotion season and the first year in this division.

I may be wrong but let’s see what happens should we start to win games playing like Potter wants us to. I think it will ramp up considerably if we can get some wins under our belts at the Amex

Accept I could be remembering wrongly though.

Although I have only done it twice (once being a stroppy walkout in the Bournemouth game at 0-3) I do understand people leaving early. Unless you want to stay and have a drink or two the Amex is a pig of a ground to get out of. Very very different to the Goldstone in terms of getting away.

Watching the exodus at 1-0 on Saturday was embarrassing though imo.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you want an atmosphere at a Brighton match then go to the away games . Why does this happen ? A whole mixture of things; drink , having spent up to 8 hours travelling you need to shout and of course most people stand. This latter one is key as you will always be more animated standing than you will be sitting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here