Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Sun what an absolutely gutter press paper it really is!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't really understand your point. Stokes earns a healthy sum from playing cricket, but he has no other choice but to enter into a central contract to play for England. Do all England players sign that contract with clause 2.4.1: if you sign this you'll have to accept all invasions of privacy into your private lives and those of your family?

Are you saying because they earn a certain amount of money, they have to accept this kind of gutter press?

No, its disgusting, but unfortunately my point is that the News International umbrella is huge, and no doubt in the winter Stokes will contractually be obliged to speak to the same organisation, all be it a different part, that have pulled this horrible stunt.

I'm actually struggling to get my head round how experienced journalists and newspaper management sat in an editorial meeting and even contemplated running this story. This is a whole new low for the Sun, even Piers Morgan can't really defend them on GMB its that bad!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
[...]Piers Morgan can't really defend them on GMB its that bad!

Let's face it, that's only because he wants to protect his little "look at me, I'm a goody guy really!" thing he does with charity cricket matches. (Stumbled on one in Newick a few days after the Windies were knocked out of the world cup, nearly tripped over Chris Gayle as a result).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't think the Sun did themselves any favours running with this, as Stokes is more of a working class hero these days.
The daughter from the other relationship may to have been open to instigating the article and could have profited from it with information supplied, due to the family association.
Maybe she has seen the opportunity to cash in, seeing as he is at his most popular at this time.
Very poor taste in my opinion and really can't see what is to be gained, only Ben Stokes being endeared by the public even more.
Piers Morgan is the biggest hypocrite of all time and how he was ever given air time after he was at the Mirror is beyond me.
I suppose controversy courts interest, can't see any other reason.

Screenshot_20190918-124301.png

Woosh, the lot of you!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Gareth Thomas claims his parents were told about his HIV status by a journalist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49739345

It seems that as well as a feral parliament we now have a feral media.

Welcome back to the 80s. Although some will be rather pleased by this.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The worst thing about this is that it wasn't a hasty decision to go with this story that they got wrong. Clearly this story took them a while to put together and at no time did they reflect and realise it was simply wrong.

Whilst I see where you are coming from, I think you give The Sun fsr too much credit assuming they didn't realise it was wrong - I would contest they knew exactly what effect this would have and just didn't give a shit.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Or any media in that case. Stop reading NSC too. It’s a source of news! I think people need to chill out. Or admit that we read the news that suits our bias. The permanently outraged liberal left read the BBC and Guardian amongst others because they align with their views mostly. Equally right wing perspectives seek the DT, Spectator etc. But essentially, there’s not a written word in any publication that doesn’t suit the authors paymaster! That’s why you have to read multiple sources and make your own mind up, or at least challenge each ones assertions. And even then...But it can be hard to find the truth these days amongst so many misleading or fake sources. Easy to say can’t trust any of them but you’ve got to trust something or someone’s opinion to get by in life and it’s why most of us end up gravitating towards those that express our own prejudices and or life experiences. Naturally so in my opinion!

You’re absolutely right that people only read things which suit a pre-existing bias. This is absolutely crazy and is responsible for a lot of the polarization of views we see today. Also agree that you need to find multiple sources in a genuinely open minded way before you make your mind up on an issue.

I very much disagree with you about The BBC and The Guardian only writing and saying things which suit their paymasters.

The BBC is non profit making and has an international reputation for being meticulously impartial (though clearly if you’re on the left, you’ll think it’s right and vice versa) and obviously has the capacity and wilingness to criticise itself like no other organisation.

The Guardian is owned by a trust (which re-invests any profits into journalism), not by some loaded mogul. Yes it has a clear political leaning, but the information is sourced and referenced in a much more open way than in any of the tabloids we’re talking about . Though fair enough, the recent Cameron comment was an appalling thing to say.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
In some ways the Mail is worse than the Sun and it pretends to be a credible news source. That said the Telegraph these days isn't far behind...

Totally agree with that.

The Mail is the most hypocritical paper out there. The Sun is a rag which appeals to the lowest common denominator. The Mail is exactly the same but professes to be a higher quality product.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014

In his 5 Live interview this morning he heavily implied it was a Sun journo. I can't remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of "If you flipped a coin and both sides were heads you'd land on the right option, you'd know what it's gonna be. We all know who it is" when asked which paper the journo worked for.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In his 5 Live interview this morning he heavily implied it was a Sun journo. I can't remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of "If you flipped a coin and both sides were heads you'd land on the right option, you'd know what it's gonna be. We all know who it is" when asked which paper the journo worked for.

If, we don't know, but if it was The Sun then they've dug even deeper than the sewers.

Welcome back to the 70s and 80s. I hope some of the music is as good.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49739345

It seems that as well as a feral parliament we now have a feral media.

Welcome back to the 80s. Although some will be rather pleased by this.

Just seen this myself, another shocker from the tabloid press, "admit it or we publish anyway". Some of these editors should be thrown open to some public scrutiny themselves I think.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Quite, and again, it highlights the lack of rounded and quality education afforded to so many children. I wont't go anywhere near parenting etc, but it's easy to brain wash the ignorant.

No ones born stupid, ignorant or intolerant.

I think this is a massive generalisation, as you could not possibly be in a position to judge whether children en masse have a rounded and quality education. Sadly, anyone can be brain-washed; particularly those who simply don't want to see, but I can see what you are saying in that it is easier with folk who are not that bright.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A terrible tragedy. But it is in in no way criticising Stokes or his biological family. I'm pretty certain information like this has been released to the public from other high profile people, and I also think Stokes got quite a fortunate verdict in his GBH trial recently. Would there have been such an outcry of this story, if it wasn't for his heroics on the cricket field this summer?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think this is a massive generalisation, as you could not possibly be in a position to judge whether children en masse have a rounded and quality education. Sadly, anyone can be brain-washed; particularly those who simply don't want to see, but I can see what you are saying in that it is easier with folk who are not that bright.

Generalisation, yes, but it covers a significant portion, I wouldn't say I was over qualified to judge but I'm far from uneducated or,ignorant of the issue. Round these parts the schools and SS are pretty,good compared to lots of places, danger is when families and children slip through the net, or off the bottom of the ladder at,school . . . .it still happens. . . Yes, not everyone 'that bright' but I don't honestly believe anyone's 'that stupid'

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
With all that is happening in the world at the moment, not least in our own heartland of British politics, one would of thought that they had richer pickings than this.

Then again, when was the Sun ever a "news" paper?

I think thats exactly why they ran it,to deflect attention away from the serious political issues and a Government in crisis,

My heart goes out to Stokes and his family,They did not deserve this,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here