Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Please recommend a chromebook for school

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My kids need to do their homework online, and a chromebook seems like the most sensible choice of hardware.

We're not looking to spend too much, but want it to last of course. Any recommendations?

Thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cheap end of the computer market with commodity parts. pick your budget and the one you like the look of.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My kids need to do their homework online, and a chromebook seems like the most sensible choice of hardware.

We're not looking to spend too much, but want it to last of course. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Printing was an issue with my mother in laws one, for some reason you couldn’t just plug and print, it seemed that everything had to be done through cloud?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Thanks

The 5th article down might be useful? EDIT: though on second thoughts, that's geared more toward college. Might point you in a useful direction though?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
pick your budget and the one you like the look of.
If I can get something that's well made and will last for £200, then I'm happy with that. If the reality is that the £200 ones are crap, and you need to spend more to get something decent, then I'll spend more. But I've never used a chromebook, so I don't know how much one needs to spend for something reasonable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The 5th article down might be useful? EDIT: though on second thoughts, that's geared more toward college. Might point you in a useful direction though?
Thanks, but that's about laptops, not chromebooks. We already have a PC and laptop for when we need them, we just need something cheaper and lighter that will do for secondary school homework (which is all online).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got the Acer Chromebook 15 which has the 15.6 inch screen, paid £350 for it. Probably unnecessarily big for school/college use, but I wanted the bigger screen as I watch a lot of sport on it. I love it, Chromebooks are so much quicker than Windows laptops, and you don't have to piss about with antivirus software. You should be able to find a smaller more portable model easily enough in the £200 range.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Thanks, but that's about laptops, not chromebooks. We already have a PC and laptop for when we need them, we just need something cheaper and lighter that will do for secondary school homework (which is all online).

google.. chromebooks and you`ll find there are plenty sub £200 unless you need huge spec. Currys have loads

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I can get something that's well made and will last for £200, then I'm happy with that. If the reality is that the £200 ones are crap, and you need to spend more to get something decent, then I'll spend more. But I've never used a chromebook, so I don't know how much one needs to spend for something reasonable.

these days all the main brands are reasonably well made, it will depend most on how you/children treat it. price determines spec really and point of chromebook is you dont need much.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If the kids school uses the Google classroom system then a Chromebook is fantastic laptop for them as they can log into it with the school supplied Google account and the resources are there ready for them. Got my daughter one of the Dell 11 inch chromebooks a few years ago for about £200 and it works great still.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
google.. chromebooks and you`ll find there are plenty sub £200 unless you need huge spec. Currys have loads
Yes I know, but I'm interested in ones that users here have tried and recommend, as opposed to just buying one randomly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the kids school uses the Google classroom system then a Chromebook is fantastic laptop for them
Yes they do.

Not sure if we should go 11" or 14". It doesn't need transporting, it'll just sit at home most of the time. I'm thinking 11" would do them, but they'll be wanting my help and I'd probably prefer it to be 14"

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yes they do.

Not sure if we should go 11" or 14". It doesn't need transporting, it'll just sit at home most of the time. I'm thinking 11" would do them, but they'll be wanting my help and I'd probably prefer it to be 14"

Good luck working out what to get. I find with tech the best way to do it is work out your budget then find the best device that fits the budget. My daughter has a Dell 11 inch Chromebook and it's been reliable. As a plus it feels quite solid and not flimsy/plasticy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Currys have loads of them on display. Probably worth popping into a store with your kids and checking a few out, see what you like. Then choose a model and see if you can get a better deal somewhere online.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I always steer clear of anything Acer, but maybe that's just me.

I've only had mine since January, but zero issues with it so far. Excellent performance and battery life, boots up in an instant.

I have a similar aversion to Peugeot though, which I've never been able to get round.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I took my daughter to Curry's and came away with an Acer R13 64GB for just shy of £400. It has touch screen, a decent keyboard and is pretty fast. They have refurbished ones on eBay for £280.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have an Asus Chromebook. It's a 10.1" one which I bought to use when I'm travelling. It's great for surfing the web and watching films and has fantastic battery life, but the keyboard is definitely too small to use it for doing work.

I'd recommend looking at Asus though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here