Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC to switch off red button text in 2020

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I certainly didnt see this news coming, bold decision to make any how!

The decision spells the end of reading headlines, football scores, weather, travel news and more on TV sets, 45 years after the launch of Ceefax.

Red button text launched in 1999, taking over as Ceefax was phased out.

TVs will still be able to access other red button services, like picking a stage to watch at Glastonbury or a court to watch at Wimbledon.

"From early 2020, viewers will no longer be able to access text-based BBC News and BBC Sport content by pressing red," a BBC spokesperson said.

"It's always a difficult decision to reduce services, and we don't take decisions like this lightly, but we have taken it because we have to balance the resources needed to maintain and develop this service with the need to update our systems to give people even better internet-based services.

"Viewers can still access this information on the BBC website, BBC News and Sport mobile apps - as well as 24-hour news on the BBC News Channel."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49715314

I remember choosing a TV set in the mid-80s. Teletext was a must-have for me, and I'd only have one with the mix facility, so updating of live scores could be superimposed on to the program you were watching. Cheapest 20 inch colour set was £199.99, three weeks' take-home pay for me at the time :(

I genuinely had no idea that this was still a thing. I thought when ceefax died that was the end of it. Is Teletext dead too or is that still going?
Teletext was the generic term. The BBC's version of it was simplistically called Ceefax but I can't remember what ITV's was.

I forgot, we have the www now so, so much easier to find out!
oracle08 (1).gif

Apparently it's a contrived acronym, "Optional Reception of Announcements by Coded Line Electronics".

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cant remember the last time i used red button. most usful thing i recall is that they create a 5-10 minute editted version of the Grand Prix, broadcast on one of the red button channels.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Teletext was the generic term. The BBC's version of it was simplistically called Ceefax but I can't remember what ITV's was.

I forgot, we have the www now so, so much easier to find out!
View attachment 115342

Apparently it's a contrived acronym, "Optional Reception of Announcements by Coded Line Electronics".

I do recall the pre-cursor (Prestel) being available pre-WWW days. So much had changed since the 80s!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Once again the BBC are going for the older generation. My Mum is 84 and has no idea how to use a laptop, smart phone or tablet and depends on the red button for a lot of information. In particular football.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is this inevitably going to become a carbon copy of the "Cashless Amex" thread?

Modern Day Tech people vs The "I don't want to change" crew.

There's good people on both sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here