Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first goal that Arsenal conceded yesterday.............

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
At some point this season we are going to concede something similar trust me! Just because there's a rule change doesn't mean you need to exercise it FFS!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am astounded this is the first time it has happened....I must be a dinosaur as I cannot see the justification of starting on your goal line with the opposition pushing up on you. If this is how football is going I think we will not see a Murray or shearer ever again.

The goal kick to a big centre forward , flicking the ball on for a nippy number 8 to run through on the flick and lash it past the keeper.

Invicta

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Most teams seem obsessed with the short pass now. Actually slows the game down quite often when the opposition stay higher up around the penalty box and the keeper is wary of passing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think you need a mix - I also think you need players / coaches good enough and clever enough to pull it off. It works if you’re not being pressed tooooo much but there were occasions on Saturday it wasn’t working (at the start of the game when their energy levels were good).

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think you need a mix - I also think you need players / coaches good enough and clever enough to pull it off. It works if you’re not being pressed tooooo much but there were occasions on Saturday it wasn’t working (at the start of the game when their energy levels were good).

..... especially when it ends in a Ryan chip towards March’s head that Crouch on a step ladder would struggle to reach

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
..... especially when it ends in a Ryan chip towards March’s head that Crouch on a step ladder would struggle to reach

Yeh that was bad BUT in his defence, he did make some brilliant balls later on in the game!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am astounded this is the first time it has happened....I must be a dinosaur as I cannot see the justification of starting on your goal line with the opposition pushing up on you. If this is how football is going I think we will not see a Murray or shearer ever again.

The goal kick to a big centre forward , flicking the ball on for a nippy number 8 to run through on the flick and lash it past the keeper.

Only it wasn't the first time it's happened - Man City conceded to Norwich in the same manner on Saturday.

I agree with the sentiment though - sides putting themselves under ridiculous pressure like this in their own box is crazy.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I prefer to see the ball played on the ground.

So do I, but the way we were doing it first half especially on Saturday was criminal, often ending up with Ryan or Duffy panicked into a desperate boot up the pitch anyway after pissing around between them and being closed down. I'm not sure what the point of this rule is? Does seem to be causing a lot of unnecessary stress on the defence (not just us)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So do I, but the way we were doing it first half especially on Saturday was criminal, often ending up with Ryan or Duffy panicked into a desperate boot up the pitch anyway after pissing around between them and being closed down. I'm not sure what the point of this rule is? Does seem to be causing a lot of unnecessary stress on the defence (not just us)

It seems logical that if the opposition are going to leave two or three players up to hassle your defenders at a goal kick then hoof the ball upfield to a target man. If the opposition retreat than pass it around and build from the back. That IS too simplistic isn’t it? :lolol:

Arsenal yesterday kept trying to pass it around whilst being pressed, time after time after time. Thick

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

It's not a rule that you have to play out from the back though? The rules have changed in that the Keeper can play a short goal kick to someone in their own penalty area. Wether you choose to take advantage of that is optional.
I thought playing out from the back under lots of pressure benefited us loads against City. Not only did it get the team playing some nice slick one touch football, It gave us space to play against City.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Surely the obvious approach is to mix it up according to the situation, the opponents, how good your players are on the.ball, etc, etc. What not to do is persist in doing it when it isn’t working.

I wonder how many goals a team like Brighton will create from it compared to the number we will concede

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It's not a rule that you have to play out from the back though? The rules have changed in that the Keeper can play a short goal kick to someone in their own penalty area. Wether you choose to take advantage of that is optional.
I thought playing out from the back under lots of pressure benefited us loads against City. Not only did it get the team playing some nice slick one touch football, It gave us space to play against City.

Yeah you're right of course you don't have to, and to be honest I had Saturday on my mind without thinking about how it worked more against city.

As you were :whistle:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
We had a goal kick on Saturday where Woods and Barnes were both on the edge of our box, on their toes ready to run in on a short kick.
Yet it was still played short and they ran straight in, putting our defence under huge pressure on our own 6 yard box. I dont get it

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It certainly does create a lot of space in the mid third of the pitch.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Man City had it coming. The way they knock it around at the back is arrogant at times. Also their keeper (Edderson?) is going to get lobbed sooner or later. Didn’t Dunk try it in the semi final last season? It wasn’t even close but someone will get him.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The time waster is for keeper to flick it up onto head of defender who heads it back.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Only it wasn't the first time it's happened - Man City conceded to Norwich in the same manner on Saturday.

I agree with the sentiment though - sides putting themselves under ridiculous pressure like this in their own box is crazy.

Its about keeping posession, teams cant keep this up for 90 minutes (high press) eventually you win out see how we have done with posession this year. You will have to sometimes play it out, this is why the new rule was brought in because it was harder to play it out if you had to kick it outside your penalty area. Otherwise you are humping the ball out and giving away posession and you die a death by a thousand cuts by not having posession. Yes sometimes players will get caught out but also teams will be crushed with no posession and constantly resort to humping the ball up the pitch out of fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here