Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Smith Non Binary

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This was in todays Mail Online (yes, I know). Personally I think this child will grow up to be very confused, and will certainly struggle in early life to fit in. Hobbit and Jake are fulfilling their liberal agenda and free-thinking ways through imposing it on their baby, but I'm not entirely sure its going to lead to a happy well-adjusted kid in the long run.
Anyone calling themselves "Hobbit" deserves everything they get.

Why couldn't they just call the poor kid Gandalf and be done with it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone calling themselves "Hobbit" deserves everything they get.

Why couldn't they just call the poor kid Gandalf and be done with it.

Gandalf the Grey transformed himself into Gandalf the White, so that could potentially become an issue.

I wonder what circus acts they perform.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think that applies to sex (male or female biological and physical structure) rather than gender, which refers to socially constructed ideas.

No, gender is not disconnected from sex. It's not a social construct it's almost entirely biological.

To believe gender is socially constructed is to deny that there is a biological difference between men and women outside of physical appearance which we know is wrong. There is a difference between the male and female brain that instinctively effects the way we act. Men will typically demonstrate more aggression, where as women will typically have more empathy and nurturing skills, essential to raising children. Gender roles are socially constructed, it's just our biology. Jordan Peterson will explain all of this much better than i can.

Where people tend to get confused and believe gender is socially constructed, is gender expectations. i.e men where blue, women wear pink. But it's important to separate expectations with actual gender. This is just fashion, not gender.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would disagree that this is an example of how "F's up this gender spectrum really is and the dangers it can cause". IT looks to me more like an example of how someone is being unreasonable and obnoxious about something, and they happen to be transgender.
It does feel like this person is being unreasonable. But the question is, when someone self-identifies as something that doesn't match their body, when is it and when isn't it ok for them to expect to be treated according to their chosen identity?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It does feel like this person is being unreasonable. But the question is, when someone self-identifies as something that doesn't match their body, when is it and when isn't it ok for them to expect to be treated according to their chosen identity?

I'd say its probably not ok when they demand that a woman waxes their bollocks for them, and then drags her through the courts for refusing - in other words, when it starts directly impacting and negatively affecting other people.

If I still had a daughter at school or college, I'd also be uncomfortable with a male who chooses to identify as a female sharing the female showers and changing rooms with her. That would not sit well with me at all. I dunno what the current legislation is for that though.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

I'll add that the more you look into Jessica Yaniv you'll find plenty of evidence to suggest he is a bit of a sexual predator. I'll leave the details off this thread as it's a bit of a side step, but you'll find a controversial topic involving a female changing room.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, gender is not disconnected from sex.
I didn't say it was disconnected, but it is different.
It's not a social construct it's almost entirely biological.
Almost? Ok then.
To believe gender is socially constructed is to deny that there is a biological difference between men and women outside of physical appearance which we know is wrong.
No it isn't. You think that gender means the same thing as sex when talking about males and females. It doesn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Following on from some of the complaints about the correct grammar of 'they'...

I saw in the news recently that the US's main dictionary, Merriam-Webster, has added 'They' as a nonbinary pronoun (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/sep/17/merriam-webster-they-nonbinary-pronoun) Made me wonder about the Oxford English Dictionary. The online version is 'Lexico', and this is their definition
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/they

1third person plural Used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
‘the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted’

1.1People in general.
‘the rest, as they say, is history’

1.2informal People in authority regarded collectively.
‘they cut my water off’​

2third person plural and singular Used to refer to a person of unspecified gender.
‘ask a friend if they could help’​

While googling to find the oxford definition, it turns out there is a whole OED blog on the singular 'they': https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/ some of my choice selections from the blog:

Singular they has become the pronoun of choice to replace he and she in cases where the gender of the antecedent – the word the pronoun refers to – is unknown, irrelevant, or nonbinary, or where gender needs to be concealed. It’s the word we use for sentences like Everyone loves his mother.

But that’s nothing new. The Oxford English Dictionary traces singular they back to 1375, where it appears in the medieval romance William and the Werewolf.
In the eighteenth century, grammarians began warning that singular they was an error because a plural pronoun can’t take a singular antecedent. They clearly forgot that singular you was a plural pronoun that had become singular as well. You functioned as a polite singular for centuries, but in the seventeenth century singular you replaced thou, thee, and thy, except for some dialect use.
Singular you has become normal and unremarkable. Also unremarkable are the royal we and, in countries without a monarchy, the editorial we: first-person plurals used regularly as singulars and nobody calling anyone an idiot and a fool. And singular they is well on its way to being normal and unremarkable as well. Toward the end of the twentieth century, language authorities began to approve the form. The New Oxford Dictionary of English (1998) not only accepts singular they, they also use the form in their definitions. And the New Oxford American Dictionary (Third Edition, 2010), calls singular they ‘generally accepted’ with indefinites, and ‘now common but less widely accepted’ with definite nouns, especially in formal contexts.
the Tennessee state legislature passed a law banning the use of taxpayer dollars for gender-neutral pronouns, despite the fact that no one knows how much a pronoun actually costs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“But rumours of the Brit Awards shake-up prompted an outburst from Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, who accused organisers of "wrecking" their reputation.”

Wrecking their reputation....ironic coming from a program fronted by Piers Morgan.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
“But rumours of the Brit Awards shake-up prompted an outburst from Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, who accused organisers of "wrecking" their reputation.”

Wrecking their reputation....ironic coming from a program fronted by Piers Morgan.

He’s got a point though?

The Brits has run for over 30 years perfectly well without bowing to political correctness.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s got a point though?

The Brits has run for over 30 years perfectly well without bowing to political correctness.

I don’t think it’s political correctness, more pragmatism and changing times. That article lists a number of artists who don’t identify as binary so in my mind itmakes sense for them to adapt. Otherwise it won’t be a true reflection if you’re working with a subset of the music industry.

Out of interest, why do you think it’s political correctness?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Brit awards will just drop the male and female named awards

Just have best British solo artist.

Any other way is probably going to be counterproductive.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Brit awards will just drop the male and female named awards

Just have best British solo artist.

Any other way is probably going to be counterproductive.

Or they could add an extra award for Gender neutral/fluid artist(s).

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Perfectly logical solution . Can see sporting events moving in the same direction so that eventually Men's and Women's competitions are merged .
Shame for fans of Ladies Tennis and athletics . :(

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don’t think it’s political correctness, more pragmatism and changing times. That article lists a number of artists who don’t identify as binary so in my mind itmakes sense for them to adapt. Otherwise it won’t be a true reflection if you’re working with a subset of the music industry.

Out of interest, why do you think it’s political correctness?

Or as the majority call it, Woke horseshit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here