Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Smith Non Binary

Well so much for endless years of homophobic baiting making Brighton fans that little bit more enlightened on LBGT understanding than the average pub bore

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well so much for endless years of homophobic baiting making Brighton fans that little bit more enlightened on LBGT understanding than the average pub bore

Is this any relevance on LGBT? Nobody cares about his sexuality, added to this the only person that seems to care about what gender Sam Smith is, appears to be ‘themselves’

I couldn’t care less about the person wanting not to be known as not female or male, but I do think it’s intruiging timing with his new release and tour, strikes of attention seeking and that’s the danger with these issues same as the mental health issue, you end up with people using it to gain attention.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Very sad.

Hopefully those who are upset or confused will educate themselves as we should be well ahead of the curve on this.

Sex: Between your legs.

People not always born with the same gender and sex.

Get a grip NSC, this is not BBS.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think, personally speaking, respecting someone's chosen pronouns is as easy a decision as, for instance, meeting someone called Daniel, calling him Dan and then being told "No it's Daniel, thanks".

Ok cool I will call you Daniel. Rather than "OH F**K OFF DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN!"

EDIT: Someone post the Partridge clip. We all know it's coming.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Gentlemen, Ladies, Everyone...

So, Sam wants to be non-binary and called 'them'. No problem. Not hurting anyone. Likely to take several generations before 'them' before it supplants him/her etc. but we can be open to it, can't we?

At the end of the day, it's not hurting us is it. The world still goes round. The sun comes up in the morning.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I totally support any persons right to live their life how the hell they choose including giving themselves silly names.

If it hurts no one else, its no one else's business. But please dont expect the rest of the world to keep pace with it. Some of us are still trying to work out what LGBTQI means.

Its not that i'm anti, just from another era, so please enjoy your identity, just dont get angry when people don't quit get it.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
A few people could do with spending a bit of time finding out what the 'science' actually says.
It's not straighforward at all. Here's a starter:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07238-8

Even more scientifically complex is a mismatch between gender and the sex on a person’s birth certificate. Some evidence suggests that transgender identity has genetic or hormonal roots, but its exact biological correlates are unclear. Whatever the cause, organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics advise physicians to treat people according to their preferred gender, regardless of appearance or genetics.

The research and medical community now sees sex as more complex than male and female, and gender as a spectrum that includes transgender people and those who identify as neither male nor female.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Non-binary people have always been around, as a very small section of the population.

The fact that some people don't know, or don't want to know, what it means, or don't like the idea, doesn't make it any less of a reality. Nor does the fact that a few people will use it as a means of attention seeking make it less real.

Ignoring or denying it just means a small percentage of the population end up having unnecessarily sh*t lives. Why not change that if we can? And we can.

Why is this so scary to us oldies? Young people seem perfectly able to understand and accept it. But many seem to be desperately keen to get outraged about something that will have almost zero impact on us, whilst also openly admitting we don't understand it. Odd.

I don't think anyone is outraged, they just see it for the total laughable bollocks that it is.

If someone wants to identify as something they're not that's up to them,

Just don't expect me to be playing along though with their silly shenanigans, that's all.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It not exactly a new phenomenon didn’t Prince want to be known as symbol or something like that? Thought it was balllocks then and have not changed my mind.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I totally support any persons right to live their life how the hell they choose including giving themselves silly names.

If it hurts no one else, its no one else's business. But please dont expect the rest of the world to keep pace with it. Some of us are still trying to work out what LGBTQI means.

Its not that i'm anti, just from another era, so please enjoy your identity, just dont get angry when people don't quit get it.

My experience is that nobody usually gets angry when you don't get it. As long as you are asking/questioning in good faith. And if they do it's their bad.

I'm making a defence for tolerance here despite the fact that I often find some of the language in transgender discussions confusing and silly and many of the attitudes self absorbed (actually I often find younger people incredibly self absorbed...and then I reflect on what I was like at that age...by god i was an arse). But it doesn't change my basic belief that it is a good rule to keep an open mind, and be tolerant of things that make others happier while not really affecting me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

While I accept that as we get older certain things seem to be unfathomable (why would I want a round speaker in the corner of the room doing my Google searches for me?). I also acknowledge that in many instances we have reached a stage where we are solving problems that don't exist (again, the round speaker thing doing stuff I could do quite easily before).

But... there is a significant difference between not quite getting it and being willfully ignorant.

Gender, Sexuality and Identity have not suddenly changed... What has changed is society's acceptance that things aren't quite as straightforward as the image of a white, middle class, hetrosexual, Adam and Eve (who, incidentally, had two sons and begat all of mankind... Hmm and the religious zealots think we are sinful!).

The majority of oldies don't have to "get it" but the majority of people don't feel that their identity, gender or sexuality have been suppressed in any way. I'm male physically and mentally and happy with it, also I'm straight (never say never but if I haven't fancied a man so far I'm probably not going to) so I haven't had to pretend I am anything that I'm not. But what we should all be doing is respecting that barriers are being broken down and other people are finding freedoms they didn't have before.

They aren't 'silly' names when those names mean they can be themselves, whoever they are. It may not be what we grew up with but that doesn't mean we can't learn new things and treat everyone with respect.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, to confirm, as can’t be bothered to read through whole thread, is it now no longer a scientific fact that if you have male genitalia you’re a male, if you have female you’re a female? I’m ok with people having sex changes if they feel the need to (you have to empathise as without experiencing it personally, I assume it is indeed a thing to be ‘trapped in he wrong body’) but surely this is just PC gone mad. It’s like seeing how far people can force society to accept / attention seeking to want to be known as something other than male or female. Surely it’s science? And if you’ve had a sex change you’re now that gender?

Is anyone in here actually suggesting he’s right etc? I personally feel it’s complete publicity bollocks. (Pardon the pun)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very sad.

Hopefully those who are upset or confused will educate themselves as we should be well ahead of the curve on this.

Sex: Between your legs.

People not always born with the same gender and sex.

Get a grip NSC, this is not BBS.

That bits fine - so change sex and identify yourself as the chosen gender no? Surely that’s what people do!?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
While I accept that as we get older certain things seem to be unfathomable (why would I want a round speaker in the corner of the room doing my Google searches for me?). I also acknowledge that in many instances we have reached a stage where we are solving problems that don't exist (again, the round speaker thing doing stuff I could do quite easily before).

But... there is a significant difference between not quite getting it and being willfully ignorant.

Gender, Sexuality and Identity have not suddenly changed... What has changed is society's acceptance that things aren't quite as straightforward as the image of a white, middle class, hetrosexual, Adam and Eve (who, incidentally, had two sons and begat all of mankind... Hmm and the religious zealots think we are sinful!).

The majority of oldies don't have to "get it" but the majority of people don't feel that their identity, gender or sexuality have been suppressed in any way. I'm male physically and mentally and happy with it, also I'm straight (never say never but if I haven't fancied a man so far I'm probably not going to) so I haven't had to pretend I am anything that I'm not. But what we should all be doing is respecting that barriers are being broken down and other people are finding freedoms they didn't have before.

They aren't 'silly' names when those names mean they can be themselves, whoever they are. It may not be what we grew up with but that doesn't mean we can't learn new things and treat everyone with respect.

I agree and i do treat people with respect and do my best to understand the changing world we live in but I, like you, am not directly involved, and so will not be as up to date as those who are. That is not being wilfully ignorant.

It will take me a long time before I think calling a single person, them, is anything other than silly.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So, to confirm, as can’t be bothered to read through whole thread, is it now no longer a scientific fact that if you have male genitalia you’re a male, if you have female you’re a female? I’m ok with people having sex changes if they feel the need to (you have to empathise as without experiencing it personally, I assume it is indeed a thing to be ‘trapped in he wrong body’) but surely this is just PC gone mad. It’s like seeing how far people can force society to accept / attention seeking to want to be known as something other than male or female. Surely it’s science? And if you’ve had a sex change you’re now that gender?

Is anyone in here actually suggesting he’s right etc? I personally feel it’s complete publicity bollocks. (Pardon the pun)

Whilst the timing may be the result of their PR machine or could just be that the PR was going on anyway and they answered a specific question in a specific way and this has blown up. I'm a cynic but I shall give them the benefit of the doubt and say that this isn't the result of trying to sell an extra album or two but is in fact the result of someone in the public eye standing up to be counted as 'different' in order to raise awareness and hopefully make the life of someone somewhere a little better as a result. (But I acknowledge it could be otherwise).

But, I do think they are right in that gender identity is a spectrum with more positions that just 100% male and 100% female and sometimes people are not at an extreme and don't feel 'male' or 'female'. I also accept that sometimes people feel that they are so far from their biological classification that surgery is something that will make them happier.

So, yes, Sam is right on this one (even if the music is sh1t).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here