Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Smith Non Binary

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
is it not all linked ht?

As someone who grew up in the 20th century don't you find this all a bit strange?

The bbc website stated last week that there are now 100 defined genders, back in the 1980's there were only 2, are the additional 98 now classed as progress?

n, n, y

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Are the correct answers.

For those that had any answers but these, here's the follow up question... What would you do if one of your children said the same thing as Sam Smith about themselves?
Wouldn't at that point you educate yourself and maybe, just maybe, be a little more tolerant of their choices?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The mathematician in me would have defined it in a coordinate system of sexuality on one axis and identity on the other so that you can define yourself and prospective partners by either a point or an equation.

Sounds fun.

Easier when you could just ask someone out for a drink and see what they're like though wasn't it ?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Sounds fun.

Easier when you could just ask someone out for a drink and see what they're like though wasn't it ?

No. Because people had to be pretend to be something they felt was unnatural just to confirm to societal 'standards'.

It's a million times better to be in a world where they can be themselves and you can too.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't pretend to be expert, I guess we are all catching up!

I understand it in two ways:

1. That what we know ourselves to be in terms of male/female is mostly, but not always aligned with what we have between our legs.

2. That the two options of 'male' or 'female' are not as simple and as 'binary' as we tend to try and pretend. In reality, many people sit somewhere in between. To be able to see this as possible you have to be able to understand, and believe in, the first point, that it is not just about what you have between your legs that makes you one thing or the other.

So, putting aside the attention seeking aspect, what they are saying is that, whatever the physical body might be, they do not believe themselevs to be either 100% male or 100% female. And the evidence is that this is not something that they have any control over. and it's real. As real as me knowing that I am male.

It's different from sexuality. Which is about who you fall in love with/want to have sex with/fancy, not whether you are a man or a woman. But there are parallels. because for so long we tried to pretend (while ignoring the evidence) that sexuality was all neat and tidy and nothing existed beyond what was seen as 'normal'. But of course that's rubbish and we know it's all pretty complex and very few of us are not open to ideas one way or another...

Personally I find it fascinating, as it says so much about what we really are (not just defined by our physical bodies) but I am also capable of imagining what it must be like to feel that way - how difficult it would be. So I find it pretty easy to have some empathy.

Well put.

It's something I sometimes struggle with. I identify as male and I am, physically, male but there are times when I do not feel male. Though, that's not to say I feel like a female in those moments.

It's a head-trip for sure.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Well put.

It's something I sometimes struggle with. I identify as male and I am, physically, male but there are times when I do not feel male. Though, that's not to say I feel like a female in those moments.

It's a head-trip for sure.

Whereas I am very very certain that I am male. And I find it interesting that other people don't have that level of certainty.
What is hard to work out is whether, if my brain was in a female body, would I still be equally certain I was male? Hard to know, as a lifetime of social factors is impossible to erase. But I think I still would.

Fascinating.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are the correct answers.

For those that had any answers but these, here's the follow up question... What would you do if one of your children said the same thing as Sam Smith about themselves?
Wouldn't at that point you educate yourself and maybe, just maybe, be a little more tolerant of their choices?

funnily enough we've had a related topic come up with our boy at 7. they must have been talking about gender identity at school because he told us out of the blue hes defiantly a boy and doesn't want to be a girl. he also likes colour pink and doesnt think that only girls should be allowed that colour.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I don't care how anybody chooses to live, obviously. My problem with this utter nonsense is that I am expected to deny basic science and pretend that a man is now neither male or female. Which is a lie.

Gender identity disorder (or gender dysphoria) is a mental condition. It should be treated like every other mental condition, not by redefining what sex and gender are in order to make life easier for people who suffer from this disorder. That is not helping them. We don't do this with any other form of body dysmorphia.

When somebody is Anorexic and says "i perceive that i am actually a fat person" when in fact they are a skinny person, it is not our job is society to say "We perceive with you that you are actually a fat person"

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hmmm [emoji848]
20508ba7308cfbe57a490d1ba92bbc7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Are the correct answers.

Empathy is something that should come relatively easily alas it doesn’t

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I don't care how anybody chooses to live, obviously. My problem with this utter nonsense is that I am expected to deny basic science and pretend that a man is now neither male or female. Which is a lie.

Gender identity disorder (or gender dysphoria) is a mental condition. It should be treated like every other mental condition, not by redefining what sex and gender are in order to make life easier for people who suffer from this disorder. That is not helping them. We don't do this with any other form of body dysmorphia.

When somebody is Anorexic and says "i perceive that i am actually a fat person" when in fact they are a skinny person, it is not our job is society to say "We perceive with you that you are actually a fat person"

Very true

If he has a cock then he is male . Simple as that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here