Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Smith Non Binary

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The OP also doesn't realise he's being ageist - "I appreciate being 55, I am going to get left behind with some things in life".

Nothing to do with age, just not being interested in certain areas of "culture" or technology. I know feck-all about current cricket or rugby players, but that's not because I'm over 60, it's because cricket and rugby don't light my fire.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Non-binary people have always been around, as a very small section of the population.

The fact that some people don't know, or don't want to know, what it means, or don't like the idea, doesn't make it any less of a reality. Nor does the fact that a few people will use it as a means of attention seeking make it less real.

Ignoring or denying it just means a small percentage of the population end up having unnecessarily sh*t lives. Why not change that if we can? And we can.

Why is this so scary to us oldies? Young people seem perfectly able to understand and accept it. But many seem to be desperately keen to get outraged about something that will have almost zero impact on us, whilst also openly admitting we don't understand it. Odd.

Change is always difficult for some people and seems to get more challenging with age. Also, we now live in the era of outrage.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I read recently that in some places (uni campuses etc) pronoun introductions are becoming a thing. As in my name's Dave, my pronouns are x, y and z. A popular trans youtuber said she didn't think it was a good idea and got slammed for it, being accused of having 'passing privilege' (being able to pass as a woman.)

In the end, if someone wants to be referred to as they, who cares? We use they as a gender neutral 3rd person pronoun all the time anyway. Much more complicated in languages with grammatical gender.

Yes that's fine, and by all means let's invent new words - even if the French can't. (Isn't 'ze' now a gender-neutral pronoun for example?) But 'them' and 'they' are plurals, they already have specific meanings, and their use as singular pronouns only adds to the confusion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Depending on which list you look at there's somewhere between about 50 to 80 genders. Number's probably going up faster than Aldi supermarkets. Pretty harmless really, maybe even positive, if overthinking pure semantics makes a person feel better about themselves. Tho they should probably get out more.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In a way, I think he’s unwittingly adding to the worlds increasing polarisation. Such constant challenging of everything, even basic gender types (what are up to, 100 now? When we had 2 for tens of thousands of years) makes for a bloody unstable world! There don’t appear to be any ‘givens’ left in the world. Except, unquestionably, that people find offence and outrage where none is.

Sad times. Time to switch off all media and ignore society for a healthier mind. Sometimes I wish I could self sustain and live in a remote part of the world with no human contact except my family and friends. No such place exists anymore, that in itself is depressing. We’ve screwed every last corner of this planet.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I read recently that in some places (uni campuses etc) pronoun introductions are becoming a thing. As in my name's Dave, my pronouns are x, y and z. A popular trans youtuber said she didn't think it was a good idea and got slammed for it, being accused of having 'passing privilege' (being able to pass as a woman.)

In the end, if someone wants to be referred to as they, who cares? We use they as a gender neutral 3rd person pronoun all the time anyway. Much more complicated in languages with grammatical gender.
At UoB we can wear a badge with our preferred pronoun.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don’t understand why anyone would care enough to worry about what someone else calls themselves I just find it all very strange

Because it makes a complete mess of any grammatical reference to 'them'. It pluralises him into them. And basically, its bloody ridiculous. I don't see why everyone else in the world should now be obliged to play along with his daft games just because he woke up one morning and thought "actually, I want to be a them and a they".

He's a vacuous, self-obsessed prick.

Like I said, we use the they/them/theirs as gender neutral pronouns all the time. Albionfan37 did it in the post above.

I don't imagine you'll be meeting the singer in question anytime soon so their vacuous prickishness probably won't affect you.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Non-binary people have always been around, as a very small section of the population.

The fact that some people don't know, or don't want to know, what it means, or don't like the idea, doesn't make it any less of a reality. Nor does the fact that a few people will use it as a means of attention seeking make it less real.

Ignoring or denying it just means a small percentage of the population end up having unnecessarily sh*t lives. Why not change that if we can? And we can.

Why is this so scary to us oldies? Young people seem perfectly able to understand and accept it. But many seem to be desperately keen to get outraged about something that will have almost zero impact on us, whilst also openly admitting we don't understand it. Odd.

I think you've missed the boat on this. It's not about what 'people' think. It's a law of nature. He is a bloke and no matter how many labels other than he, him etc... Don't change the facts.

Have you ever heard any of his songs ? Unfortunately they are on the R2 play list. They are full of misery, whining, wailing and caterwauling. Obviously not making him happy all this gender mix up stuff.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes that's fine, and by all means let's invent new words - even if the French can't. (Isn't 'ze' now a gender-neutral pronoun for example?) But 'them' and 'they' are plurals, they already have specific meanings, and their use as singular pronouns only adds to the confusion.

We've been using they in the singular for 700 years.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

Well put Highflyer. But i'm still bloody confused. Is he saying that some days he feels his gender is male and some days female? I thought he was telling the world that he was schizophrenic, with a male and female personality, now I simply have no idea what he is talking about. By the way, im not outraged, I just dont understand.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Personally don't see how people can be that bothered if it doesn't affect them personally, maybe it's just fear of societal change.

It’s unnecessary and does smack of narcissism. Common Language should unite not divide.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Frothy knickers abound on NSC once more.

His music is utter shite, but he's obviously welcome to call himself (and invite people to call him) whatever he pleases. NBD.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It makes as much sense as him releasing a statement saying that he has gradually come to the realisation that he is in fact an aardvark. He now identifies as an aardvark, and therefore everyone from now on must refer to him as "the aardvark".

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Comfortably my favourite non binary artist. They have said they won’t turn up and accept a Brit award if they are awarded one in any gender specific category although hearing their new single I don’t think they need to worry about that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he's got a c*ck, b*llocks or a male body with testosterone (if he's had them chopped off), 'HE' is a bloke no matter how much he denies it. If he thinks he's something else, then that's his problem in his own head. Why spread it all over the media - other than , "ooh look at meeeeee...."

I think you’re confusing sex with gender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here