Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The OP also doesn't realise he's being ageist - "I appreciate being 55, I am going to get left behind with some things in life".

Nothing to do with age, just not being interested in certain areas of "culture" or technology. I know feck-all about current cricket or rugby players, but that's not because I'm over 60, it's because cricket and rugby don't light my fire.
    Nobody wins unless everybody wins.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by highflyer View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Non-binary people have always been around, as a very small section of the population.

The fact that some people don't know, or don't want to know, what it means, or don't like the idea, doesn't make it any less of a reality. Nor does the fact that a few people will use it as a means of attention seeking make it less real.

Ignoring or denying it just means a small percentage of the population end up having unnecessarily sh*t lives. Why not change that if we can? And we can.

Why is this so scary to us oldies? Young people seem perfectly able to understand and accept it. But many seem to be desperately keen to get outraged about something that will have almost zero impact on us, whilst also openly admitting we don't understand it. Odd.
      Change is always difficult for some people and seems to get more challenging with age. Also, we now live in the era of outrage.
      AlecsGrandad

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      I read recently that in some places (uni campuses etc) pronoun introductions are becoming a thing. As in my name's Dave, my pronouns are x, y and z. A popular trans youtuber said she didn't think it was a good idea and got slammed for it, being accused of having 'passing privilege' (being able to pass as a woman.)

In the end, if someone wants to be referred to as they, who cares? We use they as a gender neutral 3rd person pronoun all the time anyway. Much more complicated in languages with grammatical gender.
      Yes that's fine, and by all means let's invent new words - even if the French can't. (Isn't 'ze' now a gender-neutral pronoun for example?) But 'them' and 'they' are plurals, they already have specific meanings, and their use as singular pronouns only adds to the confusion.

Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Depending on which list you look at there's somewhere between about 50 to 80 genders. Number's probably going up faster than Aldi supermarkets. Pretty harmless really, maybe even positive, if overthinking pure semantics makes a person feel better about themselves. Tho they should probably get out more.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

0 Not allowed!
      In a way, I think he’s unwittingly adding to the worlds increasing polarisation. Such constant challenging of everything, even basic gender types (what are up to, 100 now? When we had 2 for tens of thousands of years) makes for a bloody unstable world! There don’t appear to be any ‘givens’ left in the world. Except, unquestionably, that people find offence and outrage where none is.

Sad times. Time to switch off all media and ignore society for a healthier mind. Sometimes I wish I could self sustain and live in a remote part of the world with no human contact except my family and friends. No such place exists anymore, that in itself is depressing. We’ve screwed every last corner of this planet.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      I read recently that in some places (uni campuses etc) pronoun introductions are becoming a thing. As in my name's Dave, my pronouns are x, y and z. A popular trans youtuber said she didn't think it was a good idea and got slammed for it, being accused of having 'passing privilege' (being able to pass as a woman.)

In the end, if someone wants to be referred to as they, who cares? We use they as a gender neutral 3rd person pronoun all the time anyway. Much more complicated in languages with grammatical gender.
      At UoB we can wear a badge with our preferred pronoun.
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Sometimes I wish I could self sustain and live in a remote part of the world with no human contact...No such place exists anymore
      Have you tried Isfield?

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by albionfan37 View Post
      I don’t understand why anyone would care enough to worry about what someone else calls themselves I just find it all very strange
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      Because it makes a complete mess of any grammatical reference to 'them'. It pluralises him into them. And basically, its bloody ridiculous. I don't see why everyone else in the world should now be obliged to play along with his daft games just because he woke up one morning and thought "actually, I want to be a them and a they".

He's a vacuous, self-obsessed prick.
      Like I said, we use the they/them/theirs as gender neutral pronouns all the time. Albionfan37 did it in the post above.

I don't imagine you'll be meeting the singer in question anytime soon so their vacuous prickishness probably won't affect you.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by highflyer View Post
      Non-binary people have always been around, as a very small section of the population.

The fact that some people don't know, or don't want to know, what it means, or don't like the idea, doesn't make it any less of a reality. Nor does the fact that a few people will use it as a means of attention seeking make it less real.

Ignoring or denying it just means a small percentage of the population end up having unnecessarily sh*t lives. Why not change that if we can? And we can.

Why is this so scary to us oldies? Young people seem perfectly able to understand and accept it. But many seem to be desperately keen to get outraged about something that will have almost zero impact on us, whilst also openly admitting we don't understand it. Odd.
      I think you've missed the boat on this. It's not about what 'people' think. It's a law of nature. He is a bloke and no matter how many labels other than he, him etc... Don't change the facts.

Have you ever heard any of his songs ? Unfortunately they are on the R2 play list. They are full of misery, whining, wailing and caterwauling. Obviously not making him happy all this gender mix up stuff.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      Yes that's fine, and by all means let's invent new words - even if the French can't. (Isn't 'ze' now a gender-neutral pronoun for example?) But 'them' and 'they' are plurals, they already have specific meanings, and their use as singular pronouns only adds to the confusion.
      We've been using they in the singular for 700 years.