Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Derbyshire CCC v Sussex CCC, CC, 16-19 September, 10.30KO, Derby***

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I have been disappointed in the output from Jordan. As an experienced international I would have expected him to have shouldered more responsibility on the bowling front and supported Ollie Robinson much more. His batting has also been underwhelming.
I too have been disappointed with Jordan’s bowling, in all formats. You’d certainly expect more from someone of his talent in bowling friendly conditions. His red ball batting has been sound though. Averaging just shy of 30, over 400 runs and hit that mammoth 166 score verses Northants. His issue has been consistency. Robinson and Van Zyl have shown consistency, the others seem to have excellent games or shocking ones. Probably not helped by county cricket being shoehorned on bad wickets early and late season.

It’s bleeding obvious, next season Sussex need to bring in an experienced batsman that can bat up the order.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How I was looking forward to watching cricket in my retirement but gave up membership year ago.. Cant believe it as for years popped in whenever free including my lunchtime and after work. Only interested in 4 day game and those at top are doing everything to kill it. Standard is terrible now. Cannot be another professional sport that has gone down so much. Oh for days of watching Goodwin, Prior,Greig,Holding,Richards,Warne etc. If you take 14 games and I am sure this will reduce, 7 are in April,May and September.and who wants to sit in cold watching cricket. They dont even publicise county games.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
*** CONFIRMED ***

Archer has been awarded a white ball and test central contract.

Don't expect to see much of him next season.

I assume this will have no impact on IPL etc.. opportunities?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One factor that no-one's mentioned is Archer playing for England. Remember, this time last year he wasn't expected to qualify for a couple of years and the club would have assumed we'd have him all season. They wouldn't have planned for him being missing and had to react quickly to get some bowlers in. For all we know, they may have been in discussions with a batter and had to scrap those plans.

They're certainly better prepared now and Dizzy made clear in his interview this week that they're a top international batsman.

Next season our attack will be from Archer (he'll play a couple of games), Robinson, Jordan, Topley (he'll be managed but will play some), Wiese, Garton, Claydon, Sakande and another young seamer. I wonder if it's goodbye to Sakande, that's a lot of seamers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One factor that no-one's mentioned is Archer playing for England. Remember, this time last year he wasn't expected to qualify for a couple of years and the club would have assumed we'd have him all season. They wouldn't have planned for him being missing and had to react quickly to get some bowlers in. For all we know, they may have been in discussions with a batter and had to scrap those plans.

They're certainly better prepared now and Dizzy made clear in his interview this week that they're a top international batsman.

Next season our attack will be from Archer (he'll play a couple of games), Robinson, Jordan, Topley (he'll be managed but will play some), Wiese, Garton, Claydon, Sakande and another young seamer. I wonder if it's goodbye to Sakande, that's a lot of seamers.

Sakande is leaving. Already announced.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

Sakande announced Tues or Wed he wasn’t accepting new contract and would leave the club.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Archer and Burns have been given central contracts now after their performances in the summer, we will be lucky to see Archer at all !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

A lot of seamers that looks good on paper But there’s only only one id trust to consistently bowl teams out and be available

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Archer and Burns have been given central contracts now after their performances in the summer, we will be lucky to see Archer at all !

That's old thinking. The habit these days is to let England players turn out in the CC - I'm sure he'll play one or two

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Test players who played CC this season: Root, Anderson, Burns, Overton, Curran, Broad, Denly, Leach and Stone - nearly an entire team

Yes I know - I was being sarky about the stupidity of letting the Aussies acclimatise in CC prior to the Ashes.....................

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Test players who played CC this season: Root, Anderson, Burns, Overton, Curran, Broad, Denly, Leach and Stone - nearly an entire team

But largely, those on that list, have been made available for their counties when for a period they've simply not been selected / required for the Test side - certainly true of Curran, Overton, Leach. Anderson played to prove his fitness ( :mad: ). Stone a bit of both.

For which parts of the England schedule is Archer likely to be surplus to requirements...?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But largely, those on that list, have been made available for their counties when for a period they've simply not been selected / required for the Test side - certainly true of Curran, Overton, Leach. Anderson played to prove his fitness ( :mad: ). Stone a bit of both.

For which parts of the England schedule is Archer likely to be surplus to requirements...?

Archer. Stokes, Roy, Bairstow and Buttler were absent because of IPL, WC AND tests - that's a big commitment but there'll be no WC next year so I expect they'll all get a game of CC

And Anderson played before he was injured and had to prove his fitness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here