Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    I think us staying down is probably for the best as things stand. We don't have the batsmen.
    The height of two men, the weight of four, the strength of sixteen.....

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Let’s be honest had we got promoted we aren’t anywhere near good enough in any aspect for div 1, perhaps this will make a few heads turn and realise we aren’t good enough and haven’t been for a while. Can’t blame Gillespie really, we don’t have a good enough squad.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dale Jasper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Wouldn’t be surprised if delray is axed as an example.
      I certainly would, he's one of the last players I can see being chucked. He's really come on this season - his first CC ton and some useful wickets too.

Dizzy was talking about signing an international batsman (one is much needed). If Van Zyl had been fit all season, it may have made a difference but we're probably another batsman short: Wells has had a miserable season, Finch is a long way short of being a FC player and so is Evans. Haines merits more of a go, he's still young.

It's not been great though: only Salt, Brown and Robinson can feel really pleased with their performances this season, that's not good.

Has anyone come in for Hameed yet? He was a test batsman a few years ago and needs rehabilitating
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      Has anyone come in for Hameed yet? He was a test batsman a few years ago and needs rehabilitating
      Was discussing this with a mate at a Pub Quiz on Monday Night - what have we to lose?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
      I think us staying down is probably for the best as things stand. We don't have the batsmen.
      We haven't had decent batsmen for the last 5/6 yrars and so we just keep re recruiting friggin bowlers ... here's one membership that won't be renewed next year.
      برايتون حتى أموت
      Not actually Dale Jasper Dale Jasper's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      I certainly would, he's one of the last players I can see being chucked. He's really come on this season - his first CC ton and some useful wickets too.

Dizzy was talking about signing an international batsman (one is much needed). If Van Zyl had been fit all season, it may have made a difference but we're probably another batsman short: Wells has had a miserable season, Finch is a long way short of being a FC player and so is Evans. Haines merits more of a go, he's still young.

It's not been great though: only Salt, Brown and Robinson can feel really pleased with their performances this season, that's not good.

I agree on Rawlins. Certainly as a t20 player he is very promising. As a first class cricketer - maybe he could be a good batting allrounder. If he can be bothered with all that t20 cash around.
      I can feel a statement coming from the boss though. that’s how it works in sport, when teams have underperformed.
      Someone will Pay the price. And rightly so. Standards aren’t high enough at Sussex.
      do you have any inside on why Rawlins hasn’t signed a contract ? Has he been offered one ?

Your assessment of our batters is bang on. Wells has been poor - my instinct says it’s worth persevering Next season. Others may disagree.
      Finch’s number is surely up. Evans was always a stop gap for first class. He hasn’t had a bad white ball season.
      Hameed - hard to know if he’s in terminal decline or a change of county will be the making of him. It would make sense for us to sign him, and probably be good for him. We are good at rehabilitating players. Sign hameed or someone of his ilk , topley and an overseas bat (as skip?) and get garton fit, and there’s reason for optimism next season.
      “With all due respect to Brighton, who the **** are Brighton?” Troopz, Arsenal Fan TV
      AlecsGrandad

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
      Was discussing this with a mate at a Pub Quiz on Monday Night - what have we to lose?
      Nothing. In his current abysmal form he'll slot neatly into our batting unit without weakening it, and if he can recover his old ability he'll be brilliant.

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf's Up View Post
      We haven't had decent batsmen for the last 5/6 yrars and so we just keep re recruiting friggin bowlers ... here's one membership that won't be renewed next year.
      That's makes two of us . Held membership since early 1980's I haven't enjoyed this year at all
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dale Jasper View Post
      I agree on Rawlins. Certainly as a t20 player he is very promising. As a first class cricketer - maybe he could be a good batting allrounder. If he can be bothered with all that t20 cash around.
      I can feel a statement coming from the boss though. that’s how it works in sport, when teams have underperformed.
      Someone will Pay the price. And rightly so. Standards aren’t high enough at Sussex.
      do you have any inside on why Rawlins hasn’t signed a contract ? Has he been offered one ?
      I didn't know he hadn't signed. He's promising but I can't see there being a big rush of counties looking to sign him, I wonder what's going on there.

I do think Hameed is worth a go - Sussex have got a good record at rehabilitating players who have lost their way or struggled with injuries (Panesar, Jordan, Anyon and possibly Topley), I'm sure other counties will be looking at him though - he's still young.

Wells is the real mystery though. He was on the verge of the England team a few years back (mind you, half the openers in England were) but he now struggles to score runs in the Second Division. I don't know when his contract is up but if it's this year, he'll get another year to put things right.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      We need 3 solid batsmen. Massive season for us next year - we've punched above our weight in the last 20 years but it finally feels like we're joining the likes of Leics, Derbys, Gloucs, Northants and Glamorgan as permanent non-entities.
      Pah, we felt like a permanent non entity up until the Adams revolution. Then it was amazing, and now we're rubbish. Cyclical.