Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] BBC - Is Jordan running out of water?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I haven't read past the headline, but blimey that woman will do anything to get in the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-middle-east-49695562/is-jordan-running-out-of-water

katie-price-aka-jordan-drinking-water-at-a-petrol-station-after-leaving-C21GGD.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I knew there was a reason why she’d had the enhancements - she followed the example of a Bactrian camel. Clever.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
To take it back to the BBC story, yes it will. And so will countless other countries.

The way we look after our most important natural resource is criminal, have a look at rich areas where there is no rainfall. Las Vegas, Dubai, etc, no water except for whats extracted from the ground and there's waterfalls and all sorts of unnecessary other nonsense pouring water away.

What's in the ground is millions of years old and will not be replenished overnight. We're as bad in this country, taking millions and millions of litres out of the ground, wasting most of it then pouring it into the sea.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
To take it back to the BBC story, yes it will. And so will countless other countries.

The way we look after our most important natural resource is criminal, have a look at rich areas where there is no rainfall. Las Vegas, Dubai, etc, no water except for whats extracted from the ground and there's waterfalls and all sorts of unnecessary other nonsense pouring water away.

What's in the ground is millions of years old and will not be replenished overnight. We're as bad in this country, taking millions and millions of litres out of the ground, wasting most of it then pouring it into the sea.
Isn't the water that is used with such extravagence in Vegas actually pumped in from California or something? So reducing the water table for an entirely different state just so people can watch dancing fountains or something.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I never leave the tap running when I clean my teeth, so I'm doing my bit.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I never leave the tap running when I clean my teeth, so I'm doing my bit.

For all the 'everyone doing the bit' effort, there's another story that will make you wonder why you bother. I'm involved in a project at a Premier League football club where they are extracting eye watering amounts of water from the ground to water their training pitches. As part of the test pumping process the EA insisted that 7 million litres were pumped out of the ground into a river and out to sea so they could monitor the effect on other local boreholes. 7 million litres of fresh water that's now in the sea.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For all the 'everyone doing the bit' effort, there's another story that will make you wonder why you bother. I'm involved in a project at a Premier League football club where they are extracting eye watering amounts of water from the ground to water their training pitches. As part of the test pumping process the EA insisted that 7 million litres were pumped out of the ground into a river and out to sea so they could monitor the effect on other local boreholes. 7 million litres of fresh water that's now in the sea.

water-cycle-diagram.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Drain the sea, get some desalinisation going. 2/3rds of the world is water. Job done.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Drain the sea, get some desalinisation going. 2/3rds of the world is water. Job done.

If it comes to that you'll have to sell your house to pay your water bill!

Desalinisation plants use horrendous amounts of fuels and produce an unmanageable amount of waste.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here